Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wish Pekerman had taken Yepes, Leonel or Luis Perea as assistant coaches.

Would love Rueda with Yepes as his assistant. Yepes just wasn't ready to coach a team like Cali.

2. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ojala rueda..

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea but let's see how Osorio does with Mexico at Confederations cup. Feel he might get fired for not making out of group stage. Def will be if they lose to New Zealand. Portugal is a way better team and Russia isn't better but is at home

4. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Que mierda...

pepinointer repped this.
  5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who would folks here like?

The investment in a seasoned foreign coach has paid off well imho.

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who tho? Who knows the market? Don't really like any Argie coach but Sampoli. What Brazilian?

7. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not sure. Both those countries have struggled to find coaching over a period where Colombian coaches have performed well...but i just fear the wrong interests having control again...

Azucarero repped this.
  8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Osorio is doing well with Mexico who have more unrealistic fans than we do. After how well Rueda has done with Nacional I think he will have more power and say then he did after being promoted from the U20

9. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Bring Osorio o Rueda or any Colombian coach for that matter will bring that Colombian mentality back... Our NT doesn't need a coach who can qualify us or makes us do a good world cup... We already done that, we need some "next lvl sh!t" which means somebody who have experience in decisive matches which is where we greatly lack and that's mentality, experience in that instances...
    Osorio and Rueda are not the guys for that job, in that case just left Pekerman assistant so he can keep the process, because neither Pekerman assistant Rueda or Osorio haven't won a NT tournament or reach a final stage in a world cup.

We need a Felipao, Vicente del Bosque, Capello, Lippi...

BlueDamian and krass repped this.
  10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Brazil play nice under their new coach and they kick out their coach even if they win the WC so grab him.

Rueda proven it with crappier teams that he is a good NT coach.

Osorio is proving it with Mexico but that 7-0 still stings but that's on the Mexicans for giving up after the 3rd goal. Let's see how they do at the WC under him.

What euro coach will come coach Colombia?

JJV1994 repped this.
  11. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Proven what? No titles or finals...
    Colombia is a great option for any coach. A good South American team with a good amount of talent and international experience without the pressure that Argentina Brazil or even Uruguay carries

BlueDamian and pepinointer repped this.
  12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Capello was a mediocre national team manager.

13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Osorio after pathetic performance against chile should be discarded !!!

He isn't doing nothing especiales with Mexico

BlueDamian and dapip repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mexico is the more talented team in Concacaf and probably on par with half of Conmebol teams regarding the quality of their players (they will be below 3 or 4 and above 2 or 3 conmebol teams). Winning Concacaf Gold Cup, or qualifying to the WC are a must and should be easy task on almost any cycle. For them the real goal, and the true measurement of a great coach, would be to go beyond quarterfinals in a WC.

So far, Osorio is not doing anything special, and his defeat against Chile brings memories of Londrina, as a very Colombian thing to do, fold out when the stakes are high.

Don't get me wrong; Osorio is not a bad coach, but he's not above average, he will have his teams playing stretches of good football, then struggle to defeat inferior opponents and underperform for other stretches. Do we really want that level of inconsistency and mediocrity for our national team?

Regarding Rueda, I have a better opinion of him. I think he had a good stint with our youth systems, he did a more than decent job when he was given the command of a sinking ship in WCQ2006 and has done decent jobs with Ecuador and Honduras in the WCQs. With Nacional he has won everything, although he has some up and downs in performance, but a lot of that could be attributed to changes in personnel. While I have some doubts about how far will he be able to take a team in the WC, I think he's now a better and more mature coach than in WCQ06, so probably he'll be able to qualify us and win some games for the 2022 cycle.

pepinointer and Azucarero repped this.
  15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pekerman with Ruedas 2006 team be able to beat Uruguay 5-0? Rueda with Falcao and James would be winning those games 12-0.

Do people not remember how bad the 06 team is? Elkins Soto was our star and Tessor fking Moreno. Other then our Defense being strong with Ivan Córdoba and Yepes. It was a real shit team

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This kind of post are why people don't take your opinions seriously at all.

1. In 2014 Ecuador had a more than decent team that cruised in the WCQ but folded in the World Cup, while Colombia had a very good WC including advancing to Quarterfinals and winning 4 games. Who do you think did a better coaching job, Pekerman or Rueda?

2. In 2006 Uruguay struggled for most of the WCQ and barely beat Colombia for the playoff spot; had Colombia not had such a disastrous start, or a more decent finish, we would have been in the WC. Furthermore, Conmebol WCQ are fought over 3 years and teams hit walls and also have peaks of performance. Do you think that is possible that Colombia was reaching its peak at the time that Uruguay bottomed out?

3. While Colombia did not have an stellar roster in 2006, the attack produced 24 goals, only behind Brasil and Argentina, and ahead of Paraguay, Uruguay and Ecuador, all teams qualified to WC06. One could argue that a disastrous showing from our defense and keeper (Yepes, Cordoba, Perea, Bedoya) against Uruguay was to blame in big part for our failure to advance to that WCQ. Do you really think that Yepes and Cordoba performed at their best that day?

kromekote, pepinointer and Azucarero repped this.
  17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No but you comparing Ruedas Ecuador to the Colombia team after 2008? Or compare Honduras? A lot of the WC is down to who you are put against as wel so not exactly fair. If we get Costa Rica in last 16 or the WC and Mexico gets Germany. Haha we advance and Mexico gets taken out is that a fair assessment on Osorio?

Rueda was given a shrinking ship. 1 point after 4 games and almost qualified. With probably the weakest Colombian team we have ever had. If he was allowed to stay I know we would have qualified for 2010.

Pekerman only took the job because we saw our roster.

18. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's an overstatement IMHO
    he had great qualifiers with England, then he got eliminated by Germany in the world cup which is about what is expected from England and actually he took that English team with a lot of issues
    H
    He had a "3everything to win nothing to loose kind of situation, under pressure he will underperform. It happened on the world cup with ecuaxor against the swiz; they started winning and the swiz came back..
    Then a lot of struggle to beat a weak Honduras team who everyone in the group was beating by a lot of goals...
    Then because Ecuador didn't do it's homework by beating the teams that it was supposed to beat, it played an amazing game vs France but not quite enough to qualify

Thats Colombian mentality all over again I SEEN THAT SHIT WAAAAAAAYYYY TOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMAAAAAAANNNNNNYYYYYY FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGG TTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMEEEEEEEESSSS

Might as well bring Bolillo back

pepinointer and Azucarero repped this.
  19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How did he do with Russia?

He is a great league coach but a mediocre national team coach.

20. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Did he underperform with Russia?

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

1. Colombia also failed to qualify for 2010 and was even worse than Ecuador at that time. Honduras definitely have a weaker team than both Ecuador and Colombia.

2. Ecuador had a tougher group on paper, granted. Ecuador oponents were ranked 7, 21 and 34 with Ecuador ranked 22. Colombia was 4 and faced teams ranked 15, 17 and 44.
    Yet another Colombian coach took a team weaker on paper (31) and beat 3 World champions, ranked 6, 9 and 10; after that beat the 15th ranked team and was only eliminated in PKs by the team ranked 1st and eventual 3rd place.

3. Costa Rica could beat us, you know? Yeah, it was a fluke, but Costa Rica has shown a knack for unlikely victories of lately.

4. No it is not. But neither is Mexico qualifying out of Concacaf. I'd say that exceeding expectations would make me think better of Osorio. So far, he's as good as Javier Alvarez in my book.

5. Rueda did a good job in 2006 and I think he's a better coach now. But our roster in 2010 was not exactly great; a lot of our current stars came into place for the WCQ14. So as everything in What-if scenarios, you could be arguably right, but also wrong.

6. Would you take a job if you knew you were destined to fail? Furthermore, do you know that Pekerman played in Colombia and his daughters were born in Medellin? Yes, knowing that you can succeed is important, but one would have to be and idiot to think that a simple variable can be enough to form a complex decision.

pepinointer repped this.
  22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Their is a reason that he is coaching in China instead of taking Russia to the World Cup. I also had forgotten how bad the English were in the 2010 World Cup.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You think we have a better mentality with a Argie coach? Spain game last week and both Copa Americas?

Best Colombian team ever beat everyone they should have at the WC. Fine we had the refs against us but totally let ourselves lose the Brazil game

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A few weeks back, I discussed something along those lines with an Argentinian friend.

I do think that Colombians athletes in general have now a more winning mentality. It is pretty evident with some individual cases and with all the Olympic medals that the country is getting. You also can feel it in a lot of Colombian players, like Cuadrado, James and Falcao, to name the most evident cases.

Yet, football is a team sport, and in that sense, you are as weak as the weakest of your teammates. Pekerman has to work with the players that are weaker mentally and he has a great background in doing so. Colombia tries to put the game on its terms in almost any setting. Still, the team has still a lot of difficulty dealing with the first 20 minutes of a game against good opponents. We saw it against Brasil in 2014, we saw it a couple of weeks ago against Spain. We will get better, but for now on, it is still a work in progress.

That kind of mentality is something that Colombian coaches still lack. I still don't see a Colombian coach that makes the team believe that they can win any match they play. Well, maybe the women's team coach.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am going to continue on the Gareca band wagon unless Peru continues with him next cycle.
    If that is the case then Rueda because he deserves to get a full cycle to see what he can do. Not just a few games at the end like in the 2006 cycle.