Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well said and good points. About Bernardo - I wouldn’t mind trying him out in a friendly just so we can say we gave it a go and it didn’t work out. I can’t imagine players like tesilo/balanta/etc are of a higher caliber.

While Quintero rebuilt his career and showed what he is really made of, Jeison has yet to show what made him special in 2015.

Crzd brings up a good point that Jeison should go to a lower table team where he can play regularly.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He has been to games and just did not like what he saw locally.
    But I think he was clear from the get go. In such a short time frame to prepare for a major tournament he just wanted to come in, build upon what Pekerman has already built and select from a relatively small number of players, most of which have been a part of the process other than a few on foreign soil..

Furnaccio repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I am usually disappointed that more local players aren’t called but watching Nacional vs Tolima yesterday was Hard to watch. Not much better then the MLS

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3804 HomietheClown, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    I personally think it is a bit harsh not to be even on the list of 40 but Queiroz is sending a mesaage as you have said since day one of the suspension in the other thread.

That said, from what I am reading about Morelos's response the message is not clearly being received by him unfortunately.
    I read that he is surprised by not being on the list and even tried to excuse his behavior by saying every player makes mistakes and he has done some good things this season too.
    Maybe I am reading too much into his words here but that is not the kind of response I think he should be giving to the media (after his suspensions). Then again, I probably would have said the same thing if I was in his shoes at his age.

5. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    And if he doesn't learn and take responsibility then we probably don't want a guy like that in really high stakes tense games like SA qualifying, its one thing getting wound up by players in the Scottish league its another by the masters in SA.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully he grows and learns from the experience. As much as I am critical of the guy I do see some upside to his game and his skill set.

villus repped this.
  7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah he could have a bright future, that's why I think it's even more important to send that message now, its like being a parent if you reinforce that there won't be consequences for their actions they won't take the steps to correct them.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    RafaLarios and pepinointer repped this.
  10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well deserved

RafaLarios repped this.
  11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    dapip and Froboy69 repped this.
  12. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From what I understand we weren't gonna get an extra slot in south America anyway...

Furnaccio repped this.
  13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    60% of our teams make it to the final :) haha that doesn’t seem fair.

They should merge NA + Sa and take away 1-2 slots.

4+5

1 Brazil
    2 Arg
    3 Uruguay
    4. Mexico
    5. Colombia
    6. US
    7. Chile/Par/Venezuela/Costa rica
    .5 slot against Europe
    The America’s have way too many spots

14. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I think Europe has too many... Europe is very top heavy with maybe 7-8 nations worth a damn in the overall sense. They have too many spots in my mind. SOuth America is also pretty balanced.

CONMEBOL needs to win next WC. This domination from european countries is too big...

15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Really?
    Top level
    France and Germany

2nd level
    England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Holland, Belgium

All would fight us for 5th spot in Sa
    Croatia, Poland,

A little below
    Turkey, Russia, Denmark, Serbia, Swiss, Sweden

Europe is stacked

SA only has Brazil.

Under them
    Argentina(super over hyped), Uruguay(about to go in a generational change), Chile (there best generation is old), Colombia (we are the best team in the world one game or for 20 minutes then complete shit that one of our stars bails is out of),

Below
    Peru (unless they get another law suit they aren’t going to another WC)
    Venezuela (promising youth and nationalize anyone 1/50th Venezuelan
    Paraguay(not a great roster but they get the job done)

Doesn’t exist
    Bolivia

I don’t see SA deserving 60% of the teams making it and Europe getting less.

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm with crazed in this one, it's been 4 WCs since Conmebol won and we've only have had one finalist and 3 semifinalists in that stretch. Yes, we're still better than the other confederations but it is not like we fully deserve the 6th slot or Europe should give up one or two of them.

Besides, our 5th team is not exactly the most competitive, usually failing to advance past the group round. I'd say we take the 4.5 berths and keep our mouths shut to hopefully we'll get a 6th place for the 2026 WC.

RafaLarios repped this.
  17. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    do you know how many minnows are in Europe?... most of the countries are really really small and without significant talent. And you are scrapping the barrel including serbia and the like.

CONMEBOL quelifying is WAY more competitive than UEFA's.

sidspaceman and villus repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Our qualifiers are tough, but our teams do not perform extremely well in the WC. The way I read it is that Conmebol is very even from 2nd to 7th place, but we don't have world beaters anymore.

Besides, it is not about the top 4 teams from Conmebol or UEFA, it's about the playoff teams from UEFA vs. the 5th or 6th from Conmebol:

Our last qualifed team (Ecuador (2014), Peru (2018) and Paraguay (2006)) failed to advance from the group phase, while UEFA's playoff teams, Sweden, Switzerland and Denmark advanced an Croatia finished third in last WC. Why would FIFA remove any of those teams to have the 6th place Conmebol team in?

RafaLarios repped this.
  19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    There is a ton of variance in World Cups, its every four years and a couple breaks one way or the other can change everything. 2014 we lost to Brazil and almost made the semi's, Brazil without their best player got beat handily by Germany but if Higuain or Palacios could finish would we be having this conversation? Probably not because Argentina would have been champions.

CONMEBOL qualifying is the hardest in the world easily, sure we have less countries but out of the small amount of countries you have how many World Cup champions? Quality + Size and amount of people matter. Europe is strong but there are a shitload of minnows that have no chance at all.

jay luis and RafaLarios repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2014 was a good show for Conmebol and you are correct to a point about variance. Yet, as I’ve said, only 3 conmebol teams have reached semifinals since 2006 and we haven’t won since 2002.

Secondly, again, it’s not even about our top 4 teams, is about our 5th or 6th place compared with UEFA playoff teams. Ecuador failed to pass the group round in 2014 and Peru did the same in 2018, while all UEFA playoff teams advanced last year and half of them in 2014.

And thirdly, true, thanks to UEFA extensive number of minnows, it is not unusual for several UEFA teams that qualify directly to be overrated, but it’s a little bit of orange to apples comparison since UEFA can’t have the same format as Conmebol due to the number of teams.

jay luis repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah its complicated and there's a lot of factors. I also think there is a big difference in terms of home advantage in SA, the huge variations in altitude in places like Ecuador and Bolivia really allow those teams to gain an advantage to get into tournaments. We have to look at all the years for instance we didn't make the World Cup. We can say in the last 8 years, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Uruguay have all been really good at different times and with some luck any of those 5 could have gone to at minimum a World Cup semi final. That's a lot of firepower, and sure Argentina has been horribly managed but that's a lot of talent they've screwed up. Also Europe has more money and bigger leagues, that helps them a lot, and basically its SA and Europe with the real contenders every year, hell none of the other continents have even won a World Cup.

22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    do you think these "partners" can have any sort of influence as to players being called up or not called up?

i.e. could Movistar be so turned off by certain players that they say "WTF are you doing calling up XYZ player? with a list of off-field grievances about that player.

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    sidspaceman, RafaLarios, Doogs and 2 others repped this.
  25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    ....without a doubt they all lobby. Corruption is still quite rampant specially where there is so much $$ at play.

sidspaceman and Furnaccio repped this.