Colombia vs Qatar Copa America 2019 (JUN 19th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 9, 2019.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    his crossing on corners has been bad.... we had 12 FKING CORNERs !!! 0 goals on them with much taller players

how many corners he mess up against Argentina? Same with Cuadrado. We need to work on this because with a 6'5 CB that is awesome at the air we need to use that weapon. If they are saving it for Brazil and Uruguay for Semi and Final I am fine with that? Last time we won this thing our CB gave us a nice header to celebrate

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Woooo. Glad we got the 3 points and the group!!

We controlled the game from start to finish which was nice.

Ospina - not really tested, deflected a shot that didn’t need deflecting. Should play next game - GK’s should always stay sharp.

Mina/Davinson: solid defending. Mina with headers - almost!!! Rest both next game.

Medina: seemed timid, would like to see him not be afraid to use the left foot for cutting in and crossing

Arias: would like to see him and Medina play next game. Looked fine today

Tesillo: really liking him in LB role. He puts the ball into the box effortlessly. Play next game.

Barrios: solid performance. Rest next game. Almost got into it at end of the game. Watch that temper!! Wooosa...woosa. Play Lerma next game.

Uribe: was fine today. Stupid yellow card. Play Cuéllar next game.

Cuadrado: some good, some bad. I say he play again next game for just a half.

Falcao: while I liked seeing him and Duvan together, I must have asked in this forum a dozen times why not play Duvan/Falcao together in more friendlies!

James: Great feetwork and awesome pass to Duvan. Offensive general showing why he’s world class. Let him rest and start cardona next game.

Roger: had some good crosses into the box and showed presence and explosiveness. First half you could see some seeds being planted for what will be a great duo between him and Duvan over time. Rest up next game

Luis Díaz: looked good and was a spark on the field. Start him next game

Duvan: should have had 2 goals today; maybe 3. His physical prowess is incredible. Was getting a little worried that he was getting frustrated as time went on but glad he scored. Glad he played the full 90. Play him next game for 55 min

CQ - was thinking he would sub in cardona for cuadrado. But I liked how all his subs were done by min 75. Kinda wished he gave more of a chance to Medina but I get what he was trying to do.

Happy we are in driver’s seat!!!
    Bring on Chile or Uruguay!!! I ain’t scared.

CalamityX18, crzdcolombian and Froboy69 repped this.
  3. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    "We played against one of the best teams in the world. Despite the loss, we competed until the final whistle. This will give us strength to keep working and preparing for the future."

-Felix Sanchez

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/footb...with-bad-taste-after-qatars-loss-to-colombia/

While I am happy for the compliment, we're not 100% sure until after we see where we place in this tournament. Honestly while I AM confident in our abilities to make it to the final, we can easily screw up. Hell Chile and Uruguay WILL be the toughest opponents we face to get to the final.

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You mean like header we won this game on, with a perfect high technique cross in clutch moment of a game?

Be serious.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    First Half

Second Half

Furnaccio repped this.
  7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guys saying a critiquing isn’t trolling

13 corners against a weak team. (When we have taller played) if it was Paraguay or Uruguay?

We have a new super weapon we need to use it.

I fully understand that they defend well and played 12 in the box. I saw the game but just because we won doesn’t mean we played incredible. I want us to win this cup!

We won’t win by making 0 goals in 13 crosses against Uruguay or Brazil

8. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    thats how he started at first. and should continue to be a sub.
    what an overrated player

Froboy69 repped this.
  9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    2nd goal against Poland was out of this world his first goal with Colombia against Mexico was out of this world

Problem is when he is beat or has a 50/50 shot he dives or try’s to get fouled instead of going for it

Just think he got old and his glaring weakness are creeping now that he lost his speed showing he is a limited player

10. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    that was a tough win against a team that decided to park the bus. As many have commented, in a compact type of match where speed wasn't going to make the difference, Cardona would have been my 1st sub in for Cuadrado. All in all, a win is a win and already we've played better, collectively, in these 2 games than we did in previous 2 Copa Americas. Now it's time to finish up the group with a win vs Paraguay. From what I saw vs Argentina, they are all about 1v1 counter-attacking but also tend to park the bus.

Froboy69 repped this.
  11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    crzd, Cuadrado hasn't lost any speed. smh.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. CalamityX18

CalamityX18 Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Jun 19, 2018
    Game was a bit scary... one of those where one team controls possession throughout, getting zero luck in goals and the opponent having those few counters that make you hold breath...

Good game against this opponenet, some bad passing to start off but I'm sure its because most of these guys are newish with one another...

This game was that trap game after the highly anticipated Argentina battle. Glad Zapata was finally able to the header in!

I did find some of the corner crossing to be a bit underwhelming in my opinion, some were not even close.

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    they literally had I think 2 opportunities on goal and they were really weak, There was a notable situation where a Qatari player was left completely alone and Davinson Sanchez pulled an incredible run across the pitch at full speed and caught up with ease, they very physically light so Davinson was able to push him aside with no problems.

Most of these situations happened because the team was on full out attack from very early in the match.

Furnaccio repped this.
  14. CalamityX18

CalamityX18 Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Jun 19, 2018
    yo Qatar was over top with their complaining... valid or especially no valid, they were ridiculous with their bashing at the ref....

I mean, like I told my gf, these guys should ********ing cut it they know everything is going to be reviewed so calm your ********ing asses...

Froboy69 repped this.
  15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So I just turned 40 two weeks ago and last night was probably the first time where I really noticed how the head referee probably is younger than me.

All things considered, I’m glad our boys kept their cool despite all the bitching Qatar was doing to the refs.

I got pissed that Uribe got a yellow for his antics. He was foolish for doing that and Barrios scared the shit out of me at the end of the game. I thought he was gonna go “Cypress Hill” on the Qatar player with the ball.

I understand the whole heat of the moment / high pressure, but the best form of revenge or smack talk is the score. Let your performance speak for itself. This ain’t hockey where you are allowed to fight and the worst thing is your off the ice for a few minutes. Never understood the point of getting in someone’s face like that other than to troll or goad the guy into head butting you.

16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    its purely emotional, for most people its hard to go cold turkey in moments like that. I think its very relatable. Colombians are an emotional people.

17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i get it. i'm sure a part of it is the upbringing as well with many of these athletes. i'm watching the documentary of NBA player Ron Artest (aka Metta World Peace) on Showtime and talk about emotions....what a story....

Doogs repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    1) I agree. Having such a mental, emotional and physical battle against Argentina in the first match had us drained. I think we had what people call an emotional "let down" because it is so hard to get up for a team like Qatar after a win like that.

Qatar on the other hand had a good come back against Paraguay and really did a fine job of channeling that emotion to almost getting a result against us.

2) I agree with this too. We really do miss JuanFer on corners and other set pieces.

CalamityX18 repped this.
  19. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuadrado also has a defensive role and i assume thats why they keep him on but Cuadrado out of 5 games might have about 45 good minutes

villus repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It does seem like he is being asked to do both offensive and defensive responsibilities in this role he has.
    I am not sure who you want starting over him at that position though.

21. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I understand what Cuadrado brings to the table but you just can’t afford to have a player lose so much possession and be so indecisive in the current position he’s playing in. I’d be ok with him as a RW with the amount of cover behind him but having him against Brazil or something in the midfield would be irresponsible.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Who would you have started then instead?

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I thought it was pretty funny/ridiculous how irate the Qatar players were for calls that were clearly going to be reviewed, I get you're fired up but vs a lot of other refs you would have seen multiple cards for something that was being reviewed anyways and would likely come out correct.

CalamityX18 repped this.
  24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    One of the main reasons I think we should play much more attacking is that our defense is very solid, Barrios/Sanchez/Mina work really well closing down and recovering if we are out of position which affords us liberties to take more risks because we do have a CDM who spots danger and closes down the space and we have Davinson who's recovery speed is amazing for a CB and Mina who reads and positions very well. Gives us a good platform to fall back on if we get countered.

Doogs repped this.
  25. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cardona. We’d lose a bit more explosiveness and change of pace but I’d rather have control and lose less possession. Then bring Cuadrado on after against a tired defense.