Colombia Vs Paraguay

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Flipmode2000, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Had to take initiative and start the Thread lol

Furnaccio and HomietheClown repped this.
  2. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Teo is out for 15 days, won't be with the national team. On the other hand, Alaves confirmed that Daniel Torres will be called.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sucks for Teo.
    He proved to me that he deserved to at least be on the roster after the Olynpics but since then just has not been able to stay healthy.

pepinointer repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know most people around here are not concerned about this match but after watching our last game against these guys (second half) and watching them beat Chile last month I think this is going to be a physically draining battle.

I hope we steal three points but would be happy with a point quite frankly.

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

You can't really compare Copa America tournaments to WCQualifiers. They're played at different tempos with different strategies all together. Also, that Paraguay had a different DT so that will have an impact.

That being said, i think we ALL know that any team can beat any team on any given day. There is no clear dominant team in Conmebol at the moment (see Ecuador's rise and fall). Let's not also forget that they were just destroyed in Uruguay so it's team desperate to pick up points at home. I feel we have a much better Colombia today overall than what we offered last time around and Pekerman will have learned his lesson.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I used the game in the Copa not as a measuring stick of how they will play with us tactically but just as a personal reminder of their players and how their quality is gaining the last few months.

The Chile match is the one that I really think makes me think they can really battle us. They know how to shoot from way outside the box and they know how to score off corners and other set pieces. Those are the types of plays that can really hurt us defensively and give Ospina problems.

Yes they were destroyed by Uruguay but that happened to us too.

7. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    But this is now at almost half way thru qualifiers. That Uruguay stop was a poor showing by all our boys and Pekerman was just figuring out his squad. But I don't disagree with your comments overall. Paraguay will not be easy prey.

My 11 vs Paraguay:

---OSPINA

ARIAS--MURILLO -MURILLO - DIAZ

---------ROCA----SEBA-------

CARDONA----JAMES ----MURIEL

BACCA

8. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ---------------Ospina--------------
    Arias---Murillo--Murillo---Diaz
    ---------Sanchez---Perez---------
    Berrio-------James-------Muriel
    ---------------Bacca---------------

Since this is not an away game Macnelly should not play. He tends to disappear in away matches.

Cuadrado hasn't gotten many minutes since joining Juventus, he game play 23 minutes tops in a qualifying match like this. Same thing with Wilmar Barrios.

Cardona can be a supersub at most.

Oddly enough Colombia has more depth at their defensive positions than their attacking positions.

9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    This would be mine. Although Cardona's been in awful form recently. And I''m not too sure if this match convenes him. He'll need to play way out wide and cover a lot of ground in Asuncion. You'd basically be taking him completely out of his shot range, which really opens up most of his space to operate. We saw the same thing happen in the centenarrio.
    Cuadrado played very well today, but I wouldn't start him either. Let him be a super sub and hopefully he'll rediscover what made him great a few years ago.

I've got no love for Berrio. That lineup could use someone of his characteristics, but I don't see him up for the challenge of this level of futbol.

My major concern is Bacca. The guy is entirely useless outside of the area. If Cuadrado and Cardona were in better form, I'd start the attacking trio and let Muriel play alone up front. That's something Colombia needs to try one day.

10. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cardona for James?

11. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Santos Borre for James??

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Con esta convocatoria:

Arqueros

David Ospina - Arsenal (ING)
    Róbinson Zapata - Santa Fe (COL)
    David González - Medellín (COL)

Defensas

Santiago Arias - PSV Eindhoven (HOL)
    Stefan Medina - Pachuca (MEX)
    Jeison Murillo - Inter (ITA)
    Éder Álvarez Balanta - Basilea (SUI)
    Óscar Murillo - Pachuca (MEX)
    Yerry Mina - Palmeiras (BRA)
    Dávinson Sánchez - Ajax (HOL)
    Frank Fabra - Boca Juniors (ARG)
    Farid Díaz - Atlético Nacional (COL)

Volantes

Carlos Sánchez - Fiorentina (ITA)
    Daniel Torres - Alavés (ESP)
    Sebastián Pérez - Boca Juniors (ARG)
    Wílmar Barrios - Boca Juniors (ARG)
    Abel Aguilar - Deportivo Cali (COL)
    Edwin Cardona - Monterrey (MEX)
    Juan Guillermo Cuadrado - Chelsea (ING)
    James Rodríguez - Real Madrid (ESP)
    Macnelly Torres - Atlético Nacional (COL)

Delanteros

Carlos Bacca - Milan (ITA)
    Luis Fernando Muriel - Sampdoria (ITA)
    Rafael Santos Borré - Villarreal (ESP)
    Roger Martínez - Jiangsu Suning (CHI)
    Orlando Berrío - Atlético Nacional (COL)

Cual seria la alineacion con Paraguay con las lesiones del fin de semana? No creo que Pekerman cambie mucho, asi que seguramente veremos:

------------------Ospina
    Arias-----Murillo---Murillo----Diaz
    --------Perez------------Sanchez
    Cuadrado-----Cardona-------Muriel
    ------------------Bacca

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  13. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Paraguay in my opinion so far have been the second best home team in these qualifiers. They deserved to get all 3 points against Argentina, and later Brazil. Also beat Bolivia and Chile at home.

I thought that my NT (Peru) could take all 3 points against Paraguay in Asuncion but I don't think that anymore. I'd just like to get out that this is going to be a very tough clash for Colombia although I do still believe they have superior quality.

Good luck!

Azucarero repped this.
  14. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I think that's probably the best option available. That lineup is best suited for counter attacking, and countering is the only way we'll beat Paraguay.

I could easily see Pekerman going with Abel in place of Perez. I hope that he's not even considering Macnelly in Asuncion, but, with Cardona's recent form, that wouldn't surprise me too much either.

Cardona and Cuadrado really need to step it up with James out.

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we might get a hurricane here in Miami and of course its supposed to land on Thursday of all days which is when we play. Fingers crossed its not really bad but I suspect we may be without power here for the game :(

dapip repped this.
  16. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I would like to mention Colombia have won at Defensores in the last 2 qualifiers.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jeeez... I have forgot about that!! Even if we still have power, heavy rain could be a problem with Direct Tv... sheeeeet

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Direct tv is the worst when it rains. Good luck!

dapip repped this.
  19. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    download the directv app. lets you watch bein sports and a lot of other channels on it.

20. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    this thing is going to be a cat 3 when it gets near. Also, apparently the trajectory has changed a bit so its even closer to us now. Big fat hurricane too so im pretty sure we're going to feel the effects and they aren't going to be nice. Needless to say im not optimistic on my chances of being able to watch the game.

21. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually the last four qualifiers...Since the 2002 qualifiers. But the difference is that this game never was important to both us in the last round. Usually it was Paraguay who secure spot in the world cup earlier, so wasn't important for them. Last match it was also more important for us since Paraguay lost the chance to qualify in the middle of the road. Now it'll be the first time that this match will be equally important for both of us.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i like this lineup. maybe switch Abel for Perez and sub in Sebas during the 2nd half.

i think we can get 3 points without James. Bacca needs to step up and Muriel can potentially secure a regular starting place if he shines in a game like this.

23. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I like this line-up as well. I only have one doubt because on one hand, Davinson is in a wonderful form, I want him to play. On the other hand, both Murillos are doing great and we should let them to continue. I guess the second option will be better.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

24. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Mina is arguably in better form, and plays against tougher competition.

There's no reason to bench either of the Murillos. Davinson and Yerry will get their opportunity eventually.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i like the "Murillo Brothers" as the starters - no need to change the pair at this time. Davinson and Yerry should be used in the next set of friendlies...where the stakes are not as high - let's avoid another STeffan Medina situation

Doogs repped this.