Colombia vs Paraguay (Eliminatorias )

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Sep 6, 2017.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #1 HomietheClown, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    We win this one and we are basically in.

Paraguay is such a Dr. Jekyll Mr Hyde type of team. They looked pretty good against Chile on the road but looked so mediocre against Uruguay at home. Which one will show up against us?

I truly believe we should be able to beat them if everyone is healthy. No excuses.
    We can control the tempo and the midfield and once they start losing doubt will settle in their minds and we should grow in confidence with the crowd helping us to victory.

As I said in the other thread, I heard rumors we will play this game at night (6:30 Colombian time).
    I like that idea. It will help us due to less heat exhaustion and night games always feel more magical of an atmosphere to me.

Let's get the 3 points!

2. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Paraguay weren't mediocre against Uruguay, it's just Uruguay makes every team look mediocre with their physicality and rough play. Both teams were playing rugby style futbol. Uruguay capitalized with 2 beautiful goals when it mattered. Paraguay plays with more heart than futbol so we have to just be aware of their counterattacking plays as all their forwards are very fast and will almost always go for the 1 v 1 match-up.

Last 2 matches weren't pretty but with 2 to go it isn't going to look any better. However, we control our destiny. I don't see Pekerman taking high risks during next game and unless there's some crazy injury, expect our holding DMFs to be the same Abel-Sanchez and control the tempo. We can figure out a better duo later on. On the defensive side, Zapata doesnt look as confident as he has in he past and some of his decisions are pretty risk adverse. Hopefully with a few weeks of club play he can fine tune the position. DSanchez looks like the real deal. And Fabra played his best game in yellow. So the back 4 is pretty much set along with our holding MFs.

The biggest problem I had was our final 1/3 play with Cardona and Cuadrado. Cardona was given full starter mode for both and failed to impress. I would keep him as my supersub and while you're at it do the same with Cuadrado. No other player has been given as much leeway as Cuadrado. He had a couple games where he looked like he was getting back in tune but he's quite selfish and his constant trickery fools no one. I would love to give that spot to Muriel. For Cardona's spot ideally we need a player that can also double back in offense and defense and provide the link up play. Izquierdo can be that guy but I see Chara getting the nod.

My starting 11 vs Paraguay at the moment for the WC berth in October:

Ospina

Fabra--DSanchez--Zapata--Arias

---------Abel-----Sanchez--------

Izquierdo/Chara-----------Muriel

James -----------------------Falcao

Lastly, we have to have some measured proportion in our conclusions from these last 2 WCQ matches. This Venezuela we played was much better than the 3-0 Venezuela we beat at home. Taking 1 point away wasnt a poor result. Keep in mind they were up 0-1 in Buenos Aires and had several more chances to improve on the scoreline. Their defense is quite weak but with one of the best GKs in Conmebol and with that forward/attacking line they were a tough test.
    Brazil's Neymar has always been a thorn in everyone's arse but his level of play is undeniably as world class as you get it. An Amazing gifted player and surrounded by players that also can do pretty much all on the ball. They are simply the best in form NT in the world. Scary to think how 1 more year will help them fine tune the team even more. They played their game. We played with nerves and clearly player vs player we are a notch below their talent. All World Cup teams have to have some luck along the way. We've had quite a bit of it during this qualification process.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Fijo perdemos

4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we should be fine.That game with Peru will be tough too but I think we'll win both games

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Id rather we play in the sun and id love an early falcao goal to get the metropolitano really functioning as an advantage.

Also, can't believe that suarez goal bouncing off the guaranis back. Typical...

J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    amazing with Suarez. The best guys can literally score off their shadow. Paraguay is a very dangerous team to play but an early goal would kick us into high gear real quickly and seal the deal.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For those wondering about Television in the USA:

beIN English will broadcast the Colombia-Paraguay match live.
    beIN Español will carry the Argentina -Peru match.

J-Mezzy and ryu79 repped this.
  8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Christian Vargas is starting over Camilo Vargas.... 3rd choice at a Nacional when #2 is Colombian and #1 is nationalized.... wtf!!

Camilo gets called Pekerman needs to get fired if he calls the same 25 as last month!

9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I agree camilo doesnt deserve to be called.

But still he is one of the best colombian goalies.

Recently i have seen that you love all the club coaches choices.......even the choices of poor and mediocre coaches.

Not always that a player is sub means that he is in bad level or his starter is better than him.

Cristian Vargas isnt better than camilo...just in lillo´s world maybe as other lillo decisons.

Hector Cardenas the coach of cali another one that you loved decied to bench nicolas bendedetti for a very bad player called murillo that failed in peñarol.

Mohamed was benchinh cardona, and now the champion coach of argentina use him as starter

Montella benched Muriel....and then he became the most expensive sell in the history of sampdoria and the most expensive bought of sevillas.......and named in in the top 3 of best player in serie a.........just a season after.

Why bitch just pekerman choices and not the coaches of the clubs????

It seems that all coaches in the world are better than pekerman and his choices are the good ones.

10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Camilos career ended when he left Santa Fe.... has been a awful keeper for every club since. Was getting more time and regaining form in Cali but Nacional screwed him by making his transfer too high. He is only slightly younger then Ospina and 2/3rd choice for his club. Hope he goes somewhere or Armani leaves and he becomes their #1 but our GK options are fking sad!!!

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia vs. Paraguay TV Listings LIVE and REPEAT

Live: 10/5/17; 7:30 PM
    beIN Sports Connect USA
    beIN Sports USA
    fuboTV

Repeat: 10/5/17; 11:00 PM
    beIN Sports en Español
    beIN Sports Connect USA
    fuboTV

Repeat: 10/6/17; 10:00 AM
    beIN Sports en Español
    beIN Sports Connect USA
    fuboTV

kromekote repped this.
  12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  13. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dayro seleccion! He is the most productive striker we have besides Falcao, we need to take advantage of this. Our strikers should be Falcao, Muriel, Teo, Dayro and Duvan.

14. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    @pepinointer I don't think that Cristian Vargas has better potential than Camilo. At the moment he is better than Camilo and in general he is much better goalkeeper then everyone thinks. He can easily be #1 with most FPC teams, he choose to stay with us. But he is good. Not NT material maybe but much better than what I expected. And Camilo is talented but his decision to leave Santa Fe hurt him.

15. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He is in better at the moment because he is playing and camilo doesnt.

16. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He was also better than Bonilla last tournament and got the chance from Rueda. My point is that Cristian Vargas is much better than what most people would think, including me. He surprised me a lot. In the last two games he wad good and also vs. Chivas three weeks ago.

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nothing agaisnt Cristian Vargas, he is good. but that isnt my point.

Just think that if Camilo is behind him is because a choice of lillo.

18. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rueda also could use Camilo and decided not too. Camilo shouldn't even be in Nacional right now bit no team wanted to buy or loan him. In Deportivo he wasn't bad but at the end they didn't wanna buy him. So it's two coaches of Nacional who preferred to give up on him.

19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nacional wanted 1 million for him. So Cali laughed at them and got the Guatemalan GK that isn’t as good but pretty sure much cheaper.

pepinointer repped this.
  20. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jerez is a good keeper for FPC.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  22. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He was already a part of Pekerman's process. He is the best Colombian goalscorer right now besides Falcao. We should call the best players at the moment. If Bacca & Borja aren't in good form, it's not going to help us. Dayro is in an excellent condition. He must be called.

23. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I like Dayro, but I think his time on the nt has come and gone. He hasn't really done anything in his past opportunities to say he must be on the team despite his current form. I rather look to Duvan, Muriel, Teo, Chara to accompany Falcao.I mean how many forwards do we really need? Especially if we keep playing with just one up front.

Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  24. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Convocatoria:

CRISTIAN ZAPATA - AC MILAN (ITA)

CARLOS SÁNCHEZ - FIORENTINA (ITA)

JUAN GUILLERMO CUADRADO – JUVENTUS (ITA)

DUVÁN ZAPATA - SAMPDORIA (ITA)

DAVID OSPINA - ARSENAL (ING)

DAVINSON SÁNCHEZ - TOTTENHAM (ING)

JAMES RODRÍGUEZ - BAYERN MUNICH (ALE)

LUIS FERNANDO MURIEL - SEVILLA (ESP)

CARLOS BACCA - VILLARREAL (ESP)

RADAMEL FALCAO - AS MONACO (FRA)

SANTIAGO ARIAS - PSV EINDHOVEN (HOL)

GIOVANNI MORENO - SHANGHÁI SHENHUA (CHN)

JOHN STEFAN MEDINA – MONTERREY (MEX)

ÓSCAR MURILLO – PACHUCA (MEX)

MATEUS URIBE – AMÉRICA (MEX)

EDWIN CARDONA - BOCA JUNIORS (ARG)

FRANK FABRA - BOCA JUNIORS (ARG)

WILMAR BARRIOS - BOCA JUNIORS (ARG)

GUSTAVO CUELLAR – FLAMENGO (BRA)

FARID DÍAZ – OLIMPIA (PAR)

CAMILO VARGAS – ATLÉTICO NACIONAL (COL)

ABEL AGUILAR – DEP. CALI (COL)

TEÓFILO GUTIÉRREZ– JUNIOR (COL)

YIMMI CHARÁ – JUNIOR (COL)

LEANDRO CASTELLANOS – SANTA FE (COL)

WILLIAM TESILLO – SANTA FE (COL)

HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not surprised with this list.

Would have been nice to see Jeison get a call back.

Mateus - maybe he's a nice kid in the locker room but he didn't add much when playing in the "Abel role" the two times I saw him in previous wcq's