Colombia vs Chile Copa America 2019 (JUN 28th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 23, 2019.

1. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You beat us in 2016 on penalties :D

2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was there!

Furnaccio repped this.
  3. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    How many games do we have to see Falcao as a ghost up top before we drop him? Jesus my 8 year old niece can see Falcao is past it and he still runs him out there? Chile played well, I have to hand it to them they find ways to roll back the clock and they take the game into chaos and they thrive in that environment. We couldn't handle the waves in which they attack, and having Falcao in this game was a huge problem, at least the small amount of time we had Duvan you could see that he was pushing their defensive line way back which opened up space for the midfield, but we couldn't capitalize.

CQ has been good this tournament, but Duvan and James have been our best attackers, how you can still start Falcao is insanity at this point.

CalamityX18 repped this.
  4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the 2005 U20 is over..... now it's the 2011 Sub 20 time. We wasted probably our best generation in the 2005 team because they fired Rueda after 2006 had to wait 5 years till we had a remotely decent coach.

5. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Haha, not to take away from that at all, but beating Peru on penalties doesn't count. We are the worst penalty takers on the planet.

I was thinking the same thing about Colombia on penalties but today they lost to a team who were not going to miss. They have more penalty experience. Most teams would normally miss a few beforehand, but those penalties were pitch perfect.

ryu79 repped this.
  6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh yeah. And why Tesillo when Duvan hadn't kicked?

villus repped this.
  7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was at that game and the final when Chile won on penalties. Too many penalties have aged me a couple years LOL

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I have no data to back this up but I am certain you can almost tell who is going to take an awful pk based on their facial expression. The last Colombian guy did not look confident at all.

Similarly with Cueva vs Denmark in WC.

9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sorry if someone posted this already but WTF was Mina doing after he made his penalty?

And why was James “alone” when everyone else was arm in arm?

Not that either two had a direct impact on the final outcome but I just rewatched and was confused by those two events.

10. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    no. we are not. England are actual champions of stuff

11. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the most low rent whack ass shit. like WTF is this shit? seriously.

Bomb8 repped this.
  12. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This match reminded when Mourinho (in his RMA days) found a way to beat Barcelona by pressing hard. Eventually Barcelona discovered an antidote but it took a while. This was not the first time Colombia was left unarmed by a team pressing hard. Rueda knows the team better than Queiroz does. Hopefully CQ learned something.

Falcao had his chance in this tournament, I don't want to see him start ever again. We need to find new strikers.

13. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mina is an idiot. It's like watching a ten year old. And I don't mean only the PK's.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    These were two pretty evenly matched teams.
    We are eliminated because they made all their penalties we missed one.

Chile looked better a times but I will just attribute that to their winning mentality and Rueda doing a decent job with his tactics.

Glad we have some time to experiment in the fall and figure things out before qualifying starts up next year.

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If Tesillo hits or Chile misses one or two of their pens (nontrivial they took difficult angles except for Pulgar), this kind of stuff doesn't get discussed. I don't think Tesillo was influenced by Mina or James - I just don't know why he was taking one at all when we still had Duvan to kick.

I think the Mina comments are over the top - he may be immature but I don't see him play cynical and he is a natural leader - the team looks so much better at the back with him on the field and his confidence in contagious. He'll learn from this one.

Doogs, Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was wondering this myself.
    Only thing I can think of is that Tesillo may have just simply looked better than Duvan in practice. But as we know practice is way different that a match.

That said I have seen DUvan miss a penalty really , really badly for Atalanta too so I am not sure he would have made his either.

17. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mina almost got himself a red card with his headbutt. His simulations are also embarrassing. The red card Peru got in the friendly was not deserved. He plays well but I want to see some honesty from the players.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mina exaggerated in that Peru match for sure, but I remember watching a camera angle that showed that the Peruvian player's hand touched his face. That is a red card by rule even though his embellishing was uncalled for.

19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mina was the only Colombian who played well yesterday or kicked a good Pk

Totally didn’t notice Zapata not taking the Pk!!!!! How fresh do you have to be!!! He was on the field for less then 20 minutes!!

As for the James Pk comment he prob rethinking his choices of accepting these calls up.” I can be ********ing 10 dope models right now in a beach in Europe”....... wtf am I getting sun burn every summer to play with these bunch of ass holes who always shit their pants. Tired of carrying them every game

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Luis Diaz nor Duvan took a penalty. I don’t know much of their Penalty skills /history but I would think they are proficient enough?

I’m not even mad about the tesillo miss. It happens - it’s more just a question.

21. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'm going to echo CRZD's and Ryu's opinion for emphasis.

Mina was Colombia's MOST confident player last night. He continually gave the Chileans a headache on dead balls. Won a great last ditch tackle. He was the guy getting in Pitana's face when things got tense. And he took his penalty more confidently than anybody else.

I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here: no team becomes winners unless they're lead by winners. Mina always plays like he wants to win.

Doogs repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am going to put my Faryd cap on and say that Mina just needs to stay healthy and get more playing time at his club.
    But for someone who did not play most of the year he did well.

23. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What can I say .. I would’ve put Duván up front with or w/o Falcao from the start . I hope we prepare ourselves for the next tournament . Quiroz needs to find a better captain .

Just so disappointed Since 2014

Azucarero repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A captain is not found they usually show themselves and make themselves known.
    Right now it is Falcao. We shall see how long that lasts.

25. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    True , but Falcao will soon be gone . We really miss a guy or several guys like Mario yepes in our team . James is def no captain

Azucarero repped this.