Colombia vs Brasil (Eliminatorias )

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Sep 2, 2017.

1. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone tell me who's Tesallo?

2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Davison Sanchez has been in some difficult spots and made it look easy. Not many stronger or faster at the CB position in the world. Pretty impressive, if he can keep progressing this guy is going to be dominant.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    :) Santa Fe's CB he pretty good. Just. Not a LB.

Bad bad game plan by Pekerman. We seriously need a new coach

No more Sanchez please.

Think Cuadrado needs to eat bench for a while been fking awful for a while

4. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do you seriously want to play brazil with 3 in the back with no on in front of them that can defend?

5. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't want Chara starting. He's a good player but I wouldn't say NT quality. Izquierdo would have been the better option or should've started Teo for 2 strikers from the start.

pepinointer repped this.
  6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    tough game. 2 points from these two games is better than 0 or 1 point. we are still in control of our destiny as we head into the final two WCQs.....

Ospina – solid performance, could do nothing about that Willian goal

C. Zapata – drawn out of position on the Willian goal, lack of club match fitness could be a problem as we get closer to Russia

D. Sanchez – looked comfortable in this high pressure game. Will be exciting to see more of him as time goes on.

Arias – should have been carded on a Neymar challenge. Great cross to Falcao for the goal

Fabra – liked what I saw out of him.

Tesillo – late defensive sub, did fine

Roca Sanchez – needs to improve his IQ when it comes to possession, his defensive presence is vital on the other hand

Abel Aguilar – looked solid in his b2b role. It’s amazing how night and day the team is when he is not there

James – please be 100% healthy for our final two qualifiers. Solid performance. can't wait to see what he can do at Bayern

Cuadrado – lost that fire that made him so valuable in the 2014 WCQs; is his hand f'd up?

Chara – x-factor today. Great job in 2nd half

Cardona – was meh today. I think he had one nice pass to James for a shot on goal early in the 1st half.

Teo – pretty quiet, Muriel may have been a better sub choice.

Falcao – great goal today, glad to have him back in full health. Hope this can continue as we get closer to Russia

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Glad we got a point once again.
    We looked so anemic and finally scored a goal.

Thank you Falcao.

And thank you Bolivia.

8. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Welll. Hopefully there are some decent results in the rest of games. The Game was everything you could expect, they fought hard for the Game but the tie was fair in my opinion. We lack speed in the wings but hopefully Muriel and Izquierdo start getting consistent time in their teams so that they earn their spot.

Falcao, James, Abel, Davinson and Fabra were our best in my opinion. Arias was destroyed by Neymar but he finally made a decent cross. Sánchez did dome good defending but was awful going forward as always. The injury he had really cost us the possession during the last 15 minutes. Cardona is hit or miss. Chará puts a lot of heart but looked like a 15 year old, he tried a lot so I won't be too hard on him. Cuadrado can give so much more, he's been disappointing the last few games.

9. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some observations:

On many occasions that Carlos Sanchez gained possession, Brazil did not bother marking him and stood back anticipating a pass. Saw him wide open many times with plenty of space in front of him. Likewise vs Venezuela. Opposing teams figured out he's terrible at dribbling and pushing the ball up the field. But hey, you take the good with the bad with him.

Also, too many times I saw players in the attacking third hugging the ball and stopping the flow of the game because they were expecting to get fouled instead of passing to the open man. Cardona was the biggest offender doing this.

Teo was useless. Muriel's pace at least could have given Brazil problems.

Colombia as whole was inconsistent. They were out of it since Venezuela and for much of the first half. In the second half, after the goal, they showed some sparks but then crashed back down to earth. The team needs some soul searching or something cuz right now they're not in good form.

10. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thanks for commentary boys. Been at office and just got home.

Relieved on point, where does it leave table?

11. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Thought the same. Just didn't feel like a game where we needed Teo. Muriel bombing up the field on Dani Alves' side felt like the better option.

Speed in general continues to be an issue for this team. James, Cardona and Falcao aren't beating many people in a foot race and the one guy who can run in Cuadrado, would rather stop play and try to dribble around 3 guys.

Is Mina expected to be back for the Paraguay game?

12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Last I heard it was 3 months. And it's only been one month. So I doubt it. Hopefully both zapata and Davinson will have seen plenty of club minutes by then. Otherwise we may need the Murillo brothers ;)

Azucarero repped this.
  13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why do you guys rate Muriel so high? I mean I don't like Teo either but Muriel has 0 goal to him.

Rather see Izqueirdo or Chara again then Muriel till he starts scoring in friendlies and tons for his club

14. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    my biggest dissapointed wasn't the quality of play.

It was the lack of physical condition with the alot of the players. Most players were tired after 60 mins in. This is a huge problem in the level we play at. Baranquilla also didn't help us, how many players do we have that are used to playing in that heat? This was a terrible tatical move and these players need stop with the GQ magazine shoots and start running in the mountains in Bolivia. We didn't attack because we were all tired. We focused on playing girtty and forgot to play with fluidity.

Wasn't a bad result, call me out as a conformist if you like. A draw with Brazil at this moment is acceptable. BUT sure damn better win 1 game out the next two!

Better start running boys and dieting right.
    S

BlueDamian and Azucarero repped this.
  15. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one more observation i forgot to add:

i saw Cuadrado, james, chara and falcao playing out of position many times theough out the game. im not sure if this was done by design or if the team as a whole is lacking discipline. i mean, these guys were all over the place in some occassions within a few minutes of play. anyone else catch that?

16. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When you see Falcao play behind the half line. Yeah he's way out of position. Again team as a whole was tired out there minds.

17. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in this situation he couldve at least put more pressure on the Brazilian defense. its time to put Teo down for good. he had no business being called up.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For those who don't use FotMob app, check it out. It's gives great statistics for the games.

Example of some stats
    Vs Venezuela:
    72% passes completed
    27/69 long balls completed - 69???
    Shots in box - 6
    Shots outside box - 6
    Crosses - 17

Vs Brazil:
    83% pases completed
    23/44 long balls completed - Abel effect???
    Shots in box - 3
    Shots outside box - 7
    Crosses - 12

19. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also saw james start playing at the left in the second half and within minutes i saw him roaming around the middle and as a right winger after a few possessions. ditto for cuadrado.

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Playing out there because Sanchez doesn't work!!!! He can't pass. So Arias needs to run the ball all the way to Cuadrado or James or Falcao for anything to happen.

As much as everyone loves Abel. He also doesn't help that much offensively. He did save us in that huge scramble in the 2nd half but we need guys who can pass so that we can connect the defense and offense!!

Sanchez and Abel aren't those guys. And Pekerman needs to go!!! We win with a moment of brilliance from James. That is all we fking got!!!

21. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Commentators even noted our players were gassed.....paleo diet!!

22. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were also heavy footed vs venezuela. i mentioned how they perfomed in that game. looked like they all sat down 5 min before start time and ate a bandeja paisa.

ryu79 and Azucarero repped this.
  23. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    #98 Azucarero, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Ugh. Putting more goal scorers on the field does not mean you increase your chances of scoring. Often it makes things worse.

Muriel brings pace and dynamism that can break down and tire defenses. He always presses play towards the opponents goal and doesn't need much service to create chances.

Brazil was beginning to tire out while we looked exhausted. We needed somebody who would lengthen our play, not condense it like Teo.

How have you been on this forum for a decade and need that explained to you?

Doogs and villus repped this.
  24. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i still cant believe theres no other player capable of replicating what Abel does. 40 million Colombians and not one thats younger can do what Abel does with the team. he brings pause when we gain the ball. he did well all things considered.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I remember that. I borrowed that quote from you when describing the game to my uncle. Hope you don't mind!

futbol in Miami repped this.