Colombia Copa America 2019 (Brazil)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by kromekote, Dec 21, 2018.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I mean I like our chances we have the whole starting lineup of the WC minus that idiot who gave away 2 Pks and cost us the England game. We don’t have Quintero but come on guys he played what 5 games as a starter for us.

We also don’t have a LB but didn’t really for a long time since Armero

—————-—-Ospina———————-
    Arias——Mina——-Sanchez——Fabra*
    ————Lerma/Barrios—-Uribe———
    Cuadrado ————————-—-James
    ————-Falcao——Duvan*———-

Or a 4-2-3-1

Cuadrado———-James——-Cardona/Diaz
    ———————-Duvan/Falcao————-

To me Colombia is like Uruguay. We are the Atlético Madrid or Dortmund of South America.

Our starting 11 is up there with the best 2 but it’s our bench and if we can stay healthy.

If James, Mina can stay healthy and fit this whole cup and Duvan or Falcao go on a goal streak then our chances are very good.

Hopefully with Var no questionable call fks us over

Furnaccio and HomietheClown repped this.
  2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    VAR helped us in WC18 - see Senegal and England games.

I am eager to see a 2 striker formation again and soon! Falcao and Duvan have worked together in a couple of games I think.

I really hope to see Uribe-Barrios or Uribe-Lerma. Lerma-Barrios would be preferred late in games to preserve a lead and rest Uribe who I feel will have a lot of work on his plate given that James May not be ready to be 100% to withstand 3-90 minute games in a short time frame

Azucarero repped this.
  3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How exactly VAR helped us against England?

pepinointer repped this.
  4. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't agree. By being favoritos I don't mean necessarily winning the tournament but to play in order to win and not to defend or to play on counterattacks. And with our full roster we do have what it takes to play equal against Brazil and Uruguay as well. This is why I less enthusiastic about Queiroz's style.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Against Brasil in Brasil every team just plays to survive and hold on to a result.
    There is no team that I see that can play them "in order to win". outside of Germany in 2014.

Against Uruguay is a different story. With the clash in style we usually have more possession than them and better technical ability on the ball. So even with Queiroz I am not worried about us playing too defensive against them. I do worry that we get cold offensively then someone on Uruguay gets a lucky FK or penalty and then they defend the rest of the match.(That is what always concerns me about Uruguay though.)

6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn’t they use VAR before giving Barrios a yellow card for the headbutt? He probably should have gotten a red and probably would have received a red on any other day if he did the same thing.

Point of my previous post is that VAR hasn’t been bad to us...yet LOL

7. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They should've seen in the VAR that Kane pushed la Roca before been pushed back and England has been rewarded a penalty.

pepinointer repped this.
  8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or to validate the bacca goal....

crzdcolombian and pibe10 repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  10. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    can't see Matheus Uribe not making the cut.

J-Mezzy, HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hope bacca isnt called up......tiemn for a new guy...should be borre (not in best season)

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good point.
    So I would put Uribe instead of Cuellar.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If it comes down to Bacca or Santos Borre it will probably be Bacca.

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes but wont be smart...for the rest of the process.

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I think Reyes had a bit of his opinion to share with CQ during the 1st round of friendlies which likely included how much of a fan Reyes is of Bacca. Now with Reyes on Sub20 duty and with 2 top class strikers in Falcao and Duvan, I don't see an aging Bacca making this cut. I agree 100% that Borre has a lot more to offer even if he's not had a great start to this year--but neither has Bacca (9 goals across all competitions all year shows his decline).

pepinointer repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We still have friendlies coming up this fall to experiment with with the younger players and Queiroz mentioned before the Asia trip that Morelos was the young guy he wanted to try instead of Bacca and that obviously failed.

I doubt Santos Borre will be called without having any experience with the Senior team at all...
    ... but I won't complain if by some miracle he makes the cut over Bacca.

17. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    And just how much more NT experience do players like Orejuela or Diaz have over SB? If anything SB has at least played for U20s. SB has played in arguably one of the top 5 most recognized clubs in latin america and played in Europe. I'm not saying he has to be 100% on this final team but as it relates to what they can contribute to today's team, SB would make the logical cut. Or keep Bacca and lose Muriel.

pepinointer repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #168 HomietheClown, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Different positions have different people in line and hierarchies when applied to the starting spots and backup spots. (Battling with Falcao, Duvan and Bacca is a lot more difficult competition than the players you mention have to beat out on the 23.)

Santos Borre has youth and inexperience going against him plus he also has scored one goal in what? His last 10 matches? Missed a penalty which is crucial in knockout tournaments too. And he even had a disciplinary mishap himself like Morelos getting a red card in the Libertadores.

I think that is too many things going against him.

Safer bets are Bacca and Muriel.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jajaja it seems that kromokote emerge your santos borre hating.

Bacca have been sub almost during alls season in villareal, his level have been terrible during this season in compare with his last season is really bad .

I dont like the nt to retire players but to promote good prospects.

Depsite his dry out this season...he have contributed a lot in river offense...assisting (scoring less than six months ago)......and starting attacking plays that end in goal.....gallardo keep rating him

Yeah blacklisted him because the penalty and ignored all his good things this campaign ........weird that you arent so though with all players because his bad performance or bad moments...maybe double standards .

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You go to extremes here.
    Hate is such a strong word and not applicable.
    I am just trying to see it from the eyes of Queiroz and applying it to his position.

Yes, he has done some good things that I have mentioned in other threads if you want to read the Santos Borre thread. He has good hold up play and has done good passing/assisting.
    That may help him sneak on to the squad only if Queiroz views him as an option on the right side next to Falcao or Duvan as a supporting striker.
    But then again he started Villa twice at that position and with Cuadrado coming back there's two guys he may have problems leap frogging over too.

I still see the odds against him when I objectively take into account all the factors.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #171 HomietheClown, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    In fact, if you look way back in the Santos Borre thread I alluded to him maybe starting with Falcao and JuanFer in the Copa this summer.

I am such a hater.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

22. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Orejuela injured is out and stefan in the list.

Bad news because helibelton have a lot of chances to go.

Stefan deserved the called up for his exelent season with rayados.

Andres mosquera of leon is another defense ignored with a good campaign

HomietheClown and pibe10 repped this.
  23. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Almost there~

24. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Usually players that didn't make the 40 and joined afterwards to replace someone, won't make the final cut. Unfortunately I think with Medina it'll be the same. For me he deserves a spot on Helibelton's expense, although he is a CB but also can play as a RB. As for Mosquera, I didn't follow this years but I'll take your word on him.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We can pretty much put Palacios' name in stone for Brazil now.