Colombia Copa America 2019 (Brazil)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by kromekote, Dec 21, 2018.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just so difficult to handicap/predict without knowing how the manager will approach things.

We have the talent but it takes more than talent to win.

J-Mezzy and Froboy69 repped this.
  2. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Argentina knows that quite well..

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed.

That said, i will try to be a bit optimistic now and say that it will be much more difficult for teams to scout us without really knowing how we will play when the lights go on in June.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Qatar is in the Final of the Asian Cup.

They are playing out of their minds. Way better than anyone expected just a few years back.

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Almost by design, the 2 entrants to the Copa are both finalists of the Asian Cup. Pretty good competition.

6. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes, they also have Almoez Ali who is the top scorer of the tournament, very good player. But again, with all due respect, South America rivals is a whole different story.

kromekote repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    And as I alluded to earlier Qatar will be the better Asian squad heading into the Copa America. At least when it comes to team cohesion because Japan will probably have to bring a B or C team.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    As I said earlier I think we will beat them.
    But if we get into one of our goal scoring funks it could be a nail biter.

9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Feel like last 4 Copa Americas have been a nail biter for us.

2007: more like WTF, I need some shots of Yeager to watch these games
    2011: nailbiter
    2015: nailbiter
    2016: nailbiter

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This time around I expect nail biters too.
    Unless we finally break out with goals against Argentina who has had our number.
    If we do that then maybe we finally get the confidence to win all three games with style.

But I expect tight close games and suffering.

Furnaccio repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And Lord forbid we lose badly to Argentina.
    All the pressure will be on us against Qatar.

Furnaccio repped this.
  12. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Idk if their A squad will actually be allowed to play in the copa America; isnt there a club and FIFA agreement when it comes to country competitions where the clubs would do anything to avoid risking injury to their players by letting them play multiple tournaments in the same year?

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nope.
    In the case of Qatar it is up to the clubs in Qatar to allow who they want to go.
    In that case they all will bow down to the Qatar Federation and send the best players.
    Remember Qatar hosts the World Cup and does not want to make a fool out of themselves. They want these guys to play in as many competitive matches as possible and will send their best.

kromekote repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #64 HomietheClown, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    In fact Jamaica was able to convince some European Clubs to allow their players to play in both the Copa America and the Gold Cup in 2015 if I remember correctly.
    That is much more difficult to do than to convince your own Federation Club teams.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Changing gears a bit:

For those of us in the USA Colombia's matches against Argentina and Qatar will be live on Telemundo.
    For now the Paraguay match is scheduled for Universo channel formerly known as NBC Universo, formerly known as Mun2.:p

16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    when does this start?

17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Saturday June 15 we play Argentina in our first game.

Wednesday June 19 we play Qatar

Sunday June 23 we play Paraguay

18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what about the whole tournament?

19. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Check the Wikipedia page. Not sure off top of my head

20. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I had my hopes before 2015 because it was a year after Brazil 2014. But seeing Falcao's awful season in Man U and see Colombia plays in the tournament, I was pretty much felt complete with our elimination vs. a much better rival and in a PK. 2011 was a huge disappointment because it was Peru in the QF and we also missed a PK in a crucial minute which could take us to the semi. But 2016 was the worst, because we had Chile in the semis, with a winner coach like Pekerman, with our crowd, our first money time match when we are so close to the final of an important tournament and we blew it. Big time. For me that was our biggest failure.

Furnaccio repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was at that match in 2016 here in Chicago. I was not that disappointed really.

Chile was taking advantage of Fabra and Jeison all day on our left side.
    We started Martinez as Striker who just pooped in his pants and was not ready to play in such a big game.
    Then we had that long lighting storm delay that killed any momentum and Sanchez got a red card in the second half.

Just so many things went wrong that evening and looking back at it...
    ... it just wasn't our time. Hopefully Brasil '19 ends up better.

Furnaccio and pepinointer repped this.
  22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i was pissed b/c we were eliminated by a team that was not Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina. in that Peru game, i still remember that we had Falcao, Jackson, Teo and Hugo on the pitch all at the same time and i shook my head in disbelief as our only midfielder was Guarin. always struck me as desperation rather than tactical subs...the kind of subs i would have seen for U13 kids team. LOL

for me this was the most disappointing b/c it was the year after the world cup and like i previously stated, i wanted this tournament to be for us what 2011 was for Uruguay. Ospina saved our @$$es in the Argentina game and was the primary reason we were able to make it to penalties.

the way we played throughout the tournament looked like the players just met for the first time. we can blame injuries and lack of club form/fitness of key players, but the bottom line is the team was not prepared and it showed.

Chile pulled our pants down in those first 10-15 minutes and it was game over for us. The rest of the games we never could get out of 2nd gear and get into any sort of rhythm - we also looked gassed/tired against teams like Paraguay & Peru. Chile did their homework on us and executed their plan despite missing Vidal that game.

I was at the Peru elimination game and that was frustrating to watch b/c we could not convert on the opportunities we had and we kept trying the same tactics over and over again (predictable passing, long balls, minimal space creation).

23. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

2011 Bolillo's CA squad looked very good. All his lines looked cohesive and I think this was definitely a case were it just wasnt our day to win. We dominated Peru up to that Falcao PK miss. Falcao had been on fire up to that point and leading up to the CA. There was no reason for him to miss and then the Yepes/GK sub blunder (remember Ospina's injury right before CA was to begin didnt help).

2015 - awful, worst CA showing along with 2007 that I could remember....Murillo was MOTM but yes, we can def blame injuries and blame a team that was exhausted and looked unhinged, disconneted. Argentina should have put 3-4 in the net easy and never should have gone to PKs. We looked really poor and our key guys (like James) just lost al tournament.

2016 - still lacking any consistency but with new team elements playing the game, Fabra, Roger, Dani Torres...still no real goal scorer. I felt it was a good prep to what would be the final stages of WCQ but again our main guys James/Cuadrado were just not clicking. Anyhow, that was the 3rd summer of play for many of these guys.... finished 3rd? not bad for an underperforming squad.

Furnaccio repped this.
  24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well said.

It just comes across that all the stars need to align in order for our NT to put their best foot forward these past couple of years.

To be fair 2016 was the 3rd consecutive summer of play for Brazil, Uruguay, Chile and Argentina as well. In the case of Brazil....4th summer in a row.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And people forget that JAmes was playing with a separated shoulder for most of that tournament.

I don't know what was wrong with Cuadrado. Probably no excuse for the way he played.