College Soccer News Podcasts

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bhoys, Jul 30, 2018.

1. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree with this and maybe my last one was too focused on how it could impact MLS. I am not a MLS hater or anything and what I understand are "closed" systems like the rest of the US major sports, but I do love the idea of Pro Rel. It seems there is a lot of soccer being played in the US though I can't say I have a full understanding of it's structure. I would be curious what a trickle down of the money could do for all of those semi-pro clubs as well.

2. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #27 OverseasView, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    In Europe football is fully integrated at all levels. Professional Leagues, even if independent and business oriented, usually work well with their FA. As they depend on the new young players coming from the pipe feeding the pro clubs.

For example France has a strong development organisation based on a pyramid that includes FA's centers of excellence, alongside the pro and amateur clubs academies.
    All this lead by the DTN (National Technical Director) who has authority to implement a strategy with clear objectives to all clubs. In terms of both player and coach developments, with a style of play in mind. The German FA came to France to design their own reboot in the early 2000's. (France is the 2nd country exporting the most of pro players in the world behind Brazil).

Coming back to the initial question regarding the number of players.
    In France it is easily recorded as you need a license to play and the tracking is accurate. They recently added Futsal and Five in their statistics, as a lot of young guys play this type of football in cities and suburbs. Local, fun, easy, cheap. And players move between classic and new.
    The number of players regularly go high and down. But it is clear that when the French MNT is not performing the numbers are going south (or when it is ridiculous like in 2010 in SAF:confused:). But when we get a new star on the jersey, they jump high:cool:;).

For the USA? A better MNT giving some pride and thus creating desire in the hearts of the kids would greatly help. And making sure that football is what it is in the whole world: cheap, easy to access to and really fun. Futsal could be a worthwhile and enjoyable track to follow in order to develop young players in relatively cheap structures, before they move to 11-a-side football.
    Last point: I am still staggered about how much US parents pay so that their kids play football. If I am not wrong, it is the sole country where it happens on a so large scale. Is it because of the dream/need to get a college scholarship? If yes, it would mean that too many kids play football for money and not just for fun? Surely the best way to limit the development of a genuine football culture which would nurture a high number of talents.

ThePonchat repped this.
  3. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. You should head over to the Youth section of the US board where there are discussions right now on pay to play.

When your sons' came over did they find any skills lacking with their American teammates in general?

4. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well…… I will reserve a more detailed response for later when I do the post mortem of their journeys…… as I would not like to jinx them….
    Let's not forget that they are invited and playing in so-so teams ;)

But it is sure that tactically very few local players have the required knowledge/education and thus confidence: e.g. playing from the back (i.e. no hoofing or kick and rush), for midfields how to position/move when not having the ball in order to cut the opponents' line of passing and on a personal technicity level: how to protect the ball with the body.
    Additionally, a lot of the players have no plans to be pro or to really improve (e,g, respecting a proper athlete's food diet). So motivation is not consistent across the roster. Which impacts the quality of the team's performance.
    That are the main points of their frustration based on their little experience, as they are very competitive guys and genuine team members who love quality football.

ThePonchat repped this.
  5. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot speak for everyone. But, the pay-to-play method doesn't necessarily exist just to get a college scholarship. That is one aspect. To go pro is another. To play with friends is another. The list goes on.

Why does pay-to-play exist? Because people in the US think its easier to pay someone else to make them better, than to take their own development in their hands. Parents also cannot take the development in their own hands -- like they do in football, basketball, baseball -- so, they pay others to do it for them. Sure there is "club" basketball and baseball. And, I'm sure those have spawned off of the club soccer scene a little.

Until parents/families take their own development, they'll continue to pay others to do it for them. Unfortunately, that's not going anywhere anytime fast. Leisure/recreation play does not exist in the US much anymore. I've seen this in four states pretty intimately. People just don't go play on their own. Soccer only exists in a structured training with club/HS/youth league.

6. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    The US is also one of a very few countries, if not the only one, trying to win the World Cup when 80+% of the parents and grandparents never played the game and 70+% had never watched a game until their kids played.

Parents here can’t teach their kids because they don’t know what to teach them.

ThePonchat and BigRedFootie repped this.