College Recruiting

Discussion in 'Coach' started by stphnsn, May 3, 2018.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Do we have a recruiting thread? Anyone else helping players with this?

I have one high school senior on my team this spring, and he wants to continue playing after he graduates. We've discussed it a little bit, and I've started looking at options for him with the understanding that we're real late in the game for him to try to find a school and program that he'd fit at. He mentioned one juco located close to us so I contacted their coach and got them hooked up. He went for a visit yesterday and seems to be real excited about attending there.

I have a few juniors, sophomores, and freshmen on the team too. I plan to try to figure out who wants to try to play after high school so they can start preparing and getting a plan together if they haven't already started so it's not a last minute deal.

This is the first time I've done any of this. I didn't try to play in college myself so I have no idea where I should start when I'm advising these guys. I want to make sure my kids end up in good situations for themselves academically, financially, and athletically. Obviously, building a network of connections with local schools and coaches is a must, but what other resources should I be looking at? Where do I start?

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    A player's goals should be considered in any long term development plan. What is the club situation there? If there is no club soccer in your area, that is going to be tough to overcome. I suggest that you look at what path is available for a freshmen to move to a DA amateur or professional club academy. Watching a practice and match or 2 would give you an idea of the talent they look for.

Kudos for you for contacting the Jr. College coach. It is something to build on.

Getting a referee badge and coaching license are options too for your players.

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    my senior signed to play at the local juco yesterday. he had another offer at a first year program, but he thought this would be a better option for himself going forward. i'm super excited for him.

rca2 repped this.