College Coaches relationships, showcases, camps

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Holmes12, May 17, 2016.

1. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Perhaps there is no need to share game film because the Big 5 Conferences have their own broadcasting networks so viewing games is easier than reaching out to a colleague in another conference.

2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I think most coaches pick up the phone and call the coach at the school the player is leaving and say, 'whats going on with this kid?' and want you to know she's contacted us. Video can be helpful, and as you just answered, could be publicly available anyway. Kids transferring may not be showing well on video, if they are playing at all. So, you call the coach and ask. Coaches don't want the same reason she's not happy there to be the same reason she won't be happy here.

3. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thank you EK. You have described the tail end of a transfer. The beginning of some decisions to transfer can be a little tricky and require discretion.

Every coach would like to know more about the player before making a decision. Most player's would like to be evaluated without the knowledge of their current coach because if they are caught talking they will be benched and cut loose.

If the player is in good academic standing and is a regular starter and wants to leave the current program how is the new program going to make an evaluation if she has been benched ?

Surely not all coaches are vindictive.

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    What you're describing is very tricky and borderline ethical, imho. Basically, you don't get to shop around like you did the first time, video or not. That's why there are contact and transfer rules. My strong suggestion is to not mix the 2 decisions. The player should decide they are leaving and be honest with the current staff, seek the proper release to talk soccer, then go out and see what coaches might have an interest. Sometimes you can get a general release to talk to anyone, sometimes only outside the conference. (In d3, the player can actually 'self release' at any time)
    If the player starts talking to school 2 before you decide to leave school 1, that's trouble. You should ALWAYS assume the coach at school 2 is going to contact school 1. These folks know each other very well sometimes and most want to play fair, even if they seem like heated rivals. But if they get screwed by some young coach talking to their current kids about transfering, they may not report them but they will remember.
    My 2nd suggestion is to talk to coaches that recruited you, or at schools you visited, the first time around. The player should have liked those schools for good reason and coaches are much more willing to consider a transfer if they know the player a bit already. They likely already know the quality of the player as well of course.
    Coaches know when kids aren't happy and most don't want unhappy kids on their teams who may want to be somewhere else.

5. Game-Ball

Game-Ball Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I tend to agree and think contact rules are in place to manage the coaches and mostly for high profile cases.

Athletes have a restriction in that they are permitted one transfer exception and this motivates them to think about their big decision. They also have academic standing to consider so it's normal for a student-athlete to look for reassurances before asking her current school in writing for permission to contact.

I think everyone needs to be respectful. If the athlete is honest in a private conversation with her current coach
    who should park their ego and listen to good reason then why can't the athlete get some support while continuing to compete and look at other schools ?

Now this is the time for College coach relationships to do some good and perhaps share some game film.

6. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    September 1 for high school juniors is almost here. Do the studs get like 100 emails just after midnight?

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Most studs are spoken for so what they get is a nice email from their future coach introducing the recruits to each other
    In pointy ball that's another issue

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What is the significance of Sep 1st?

Updating on my neck of the woods; theirs one girl that got voted everything, all district, all area, all state. Got a free ride/scholarship to a top private college with an excellent soccer rep. Then stunningly bolted out of the program in the very last moment! Now the parents have to to pay so she attend the local community college. This, after spending thousands of $$$ putting her through select clubs, and driving her 300 miles to guest play at the closest ECNL team. Dunno why she quit? Could of been home sickness/missing boyfriend or too much pressure filled campus. But it goes to there's no such thing as a 'sure thing'
    That's why it's better to find a college that your kid is going to feel comfortable with rather than wait for an offer. Can't stress enough the importance of contacting a coach(from a college your interested in)and asking them to come watch you play.

9. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #59 Holmes12, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    That is interesting. I guess jocks either love it or hate it when they get to school, to be fair about it. On one hand, women athletes get to a college, enjoy an instant social circle, academic support, etc. I would worry about the relentless athletic pressure to perform in tandem with the relentless academic pressure to perform. Then again, "regular" students hold jobs in addition to academics, sans the insititutional academic support mechanism, so there is pressure all around. Athletes have less opportunity to release it at local bars, parties, etc though. I also suspect coaches shift from recruiter to coach and become, uh, not so nice on campus.

Sept 1 is NCAA D1/2 first contact date, I think. I was curious if the sought after players get texts and emails at 12:01 AM. I heard of that in basketball.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Why do you think sept 1 is a big deal for women's soccer? Have you not looked at soccercbg and noticed 2019 commitments already?

The fact is that in many programs have their 2017 and 2018 classes essentially complete, are working on 2019 and looking hard at 2020.

It's just the realities of college recruiting.

There are many ways to get out to a HS underclass pkayer besides direct contact.

Club coaches, for example. Or sending a flier to attend a summer camp. ( Anson pioneered that method) There is no restriction on a underclass player contacting the coach, and if they know the school is interested and they want to go there, they will call.

11. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    cuz of NCAA direct contact rules.

Not LOI.

Not if something better comes along. Millions more girls are playing soccer and astute coaches are adapting to the reality which is similar to football and boys/girls basketball recruiting. "Verbals" are meaningless. The astute coach is learning not to leave their recruiting efforts at the sole discretion of revenue driven club and ODP placement. Sure, they may recruit early from ECNL/ODP pools (much to Anson's lament that many of these prospects don't pan out), but those girls have been filtered out (for who knows what motives or reasons) by third parties. If they evaluate better with thier own eyes at camps or video (whether their own camps or sponsored camps like UA, Nike, Future 500)...especially as girls have completed their physical development cycle. they're making room..regardless of "commitments".

That is the changing reality of (women's soccer) recruiting.

Many do go the camp invite, but it's nearly impossible for the player to determine the motive behind the invite (targeted or body count). Coaches can't reveal anything nor can they remotely recruit at the camps either. As alluded to earlier, contact via revenue driven club coaches is totally discretionary. For example..perhaps...for financial reasons...a coach'll block inquiries for one player in order to promote another player who's been paying the club for more years (or has wealtheir parents greasing the skids). Like Craig T. Nelson in "All the Right Moves". It's ripe for corruption and does happen with the dramatic proliferation of revenue driven "soccer companies" who coach club teams "professionally". Again, college coaches realize it's in their extreme interest to eliminate the middle man (club, odp, etc.) and target physically developed players they id'd with their own eyes. This is why Sept 1 is a big day in my opinion. Stud HS women basketball players are deluged on this day.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #62 Cliveworshipper, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Try and focus. LOI's have nothing to do with players in September, no matter what class they are in.

Loi's are only valid after February of Senior year. This senior class cannot sign any LOI's until Feb. 1, 2017 for the fall season. It's called signing day.

The LOI makes a special point that no other arrangements are valid before that (even commitments), and the LOI is not valid unless signed by both parties after FEB 1. A famous case was when UNC retracted an offer on signing day or shortly before in order to get a ' better' player.

LOI has nothing to do with contact with juniors or younger. And there are already plenty of ways to make sure juniors and younger know you are interested. Mia Hamm committed to UNC at age 15. Players can change their mind at any time before signing, but it has nothing to do with age or class. Nothing has changed since then.

Glove Stinks repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I understand about the Feb 1st signing day. But a coach can ask for a player to commit NOW, or take the offer away. I know there's no legal binding if we accept the coach's offer, but just in case a better offer comes later, is ther any kind of honor system between college coaches that would stop them from offering scholarships if they knew that the player has verbally committed to another coach?

Another question; my girl's been offered free tuition(we just got to pay for room & board plus books). Does this mean free tuition for any class?(for instance, my girl wants to go for a degree in nursing), or is it just general/entry level class that the free tuition is for?

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    True that a verbal commit is only as good as the honor of the player/family and the coach. Both can change their mind with changing circumstances and when all parties are honest and upfront about the options and contingencies, everything often works out. Obviously, the Ivy schools and Service Academies (and others with tough admit standards) have to be careful about early commits and often talk through options with their verbal commits in case they don't gain admission. So, if you have a kid that you think may not break 900 on the SAT, don't commit to that kind of school! There are reasons why the P5 schools are the P5, namely they have lots of TV money to spend on all sports and more lax admissions standards so the dominoes of early commits usually start there.

Caution #1- kids that verbally commit and still keep looking can get burned. Don't commit until your ready and if you have 2nd thoughts (very common), talk to the coach you've committed too. Clubs and club coaches who consistently tell kids "you can do better, lets keep looking" soon earn a very bad reputation. I know coaches who won't recruit from certain clubs or work with certain club coaches who are known to give unethical advice to prospects.
    Caution #2 - college coaches that still talk to kids that are verbally committed also get burned. Coaches that don't play fair are remembered by the coaches they screw over to get kids and try to keep their jobs. Would you want to play for a coach that has a habit of contacting committed kids all the time? At some point, it's likely that unethical coach will cut a corner and it will negatively affect your kid.

It would be interesting to conduct an experiment by posing as a committed prospect at a rival school and see if the Head Coach will take your call and talk scholarships. Actually, I would not want to see those results!

hotjam2 and Got Jukes? repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #65 Cliveworshipper, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    First off, congrats. The average D1 offer amounts to $10,400 for sports that divide scholarships.

coaches can ask to commit now, but you are in control.
    Yeah, maybe the offer will go away, but if the kid is unsure, keep comparing. The offer may be there later.

Of course, if it's the only offer or the kid is Christine Sinclair, the options change. You will know if you are wading through 50 offers ( literally).

Just be honest. If there are several offers say so and that you have to weigh options. ( they will most likely ask which other schools). Give an expected timeline for when that process will occur. It's not reasonable to expect a coach to leave an offer open forever. He has a class to fill and a finite time to do it.

"I need your answer right now" is just high pressure sales. Each party does what's in their interest. Just consider if that's the sort of coach you want the kid to play for. Personalities don't change much.

"You have two weeks" is a pretty good gauge of interest on both sides. That doesn't mean the offer won't be there in the fourth week if you come back.

There is a commitment database coaches use and is honored ( with rare exceptions) your kid can change her mind, but coaches generally won't talk to a committed player unless she decommits. Then the process starts over. You'll get "I can't talk to you until you tell the other coach". ( those exact words are code for " I will talk to you". ) coaches CAN talk to your club coach. Have them snoop for interest.

They check on each other. No coach I know will recruit a player who has committed elsewhere. Besides the ethics of it, it's a waste of time for the coaching staff. The success rate would not be good. The kid has an offer in the bank.
    You can decommit anytime, but you can't ethically ( or probably practically) accept two offers and choose later or start talking to another coach after you commit. It's not Nordstroms.
    And most coaches figure if you two-time the other guy they aren't safe either.

Most coaches I know also won't make the offer unless they think the kid will fit with the program. They are trying to win games.

You hear of stories where coaches withdraw offers after commitment. What you don't get from parents always is why. It could be the kid slacked academically or behaviorally. It could be because the kid isn't meeting fitness goals. An out of shape kid is of no use to a D1 coach. It's just too hard. And parents won't tell you that part, and schools can't discuss students by law. So the story that comes out is an arbitrary withdrawal of an offer.

It's not that scary. Just make sure you have the offer in writing, including the scholarship and admittance terms. A letter or fax is best. Email is probably fine.
    Verify the terms with the admissions and financial aid people. They aren't beholding to the coach. While you're at it, discuss what other funding is available, though most schools 'on their game' will do that for you. A relative got increases after commitment when they found out her final grades and financial status and figured out for her what they could do.

Be aware there are NO NCAA restrictions on talking to the folks on the academic and admissions or financial aid side of a school. You can initiate that any time, even as HS freshman. They can help you plan.
    Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. It's what those folks do best.

Tuition is for any four year DEGREE program or graduate program , so yes, the nursing program is fine if the school is accredited in one.
    Full tuition includes all courses and credits necessary for progress towards degree and electives required/allowed. The school I went to included any additional courses I chose beyond that and I got two degrees ( 45 years ago, ymmv -ask), but most athletes just focus on the degree. You can't just take random courses with no possibility of a degree at the end and count it progress towards degree.

There may be fees associated with the practicals in hospitals or lab materials fees. You'll have to ask. The couple schools I know don't add fees, but some schools may not consider that tuition.

With a nursing program there is another consideration. They usually require labs and off campus practicals, especially in the last two years. A soccer player is often involved in 20 hrs of team activity ( no more than 4 hrs a day) and 4 days of travel for away weekends during the season. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/20-Hour-Rule-Document.pdf

Find out how the athletic department will deal with this in season and how the nursing department ( not the coach) plans to accommodate this for the nursing degree. There are a couple paths. They can either plan those time intensive portions in the off season and summer, or they can offer a parallel degree called something like " life sciences" tailored towards completing the practical part in the fifth year that converts to a nursing or pre med degree. Don't go in blind just expecting it will be automatic. Some programs and class schedules don't blend well with athletics and a change of majors might be necessary without planning ahead. If there is a lab every afternoon until five the kid is probably SOL. If courses fill up at the times a soccer player needs, likewise.

Also check out the team's APR and federal and NCAA GSR for an idea of how well student athletes do on the academic side ( federal GSR tracks slightly different things) . Some really good schools don't fare so well on those metrics for athletes. If the team's scores are lower than the general student population, It will tell you how well the athletic and academic sides integrate.
    There is also a coaching APR which tracks each coach at all the D1 schools he has coached at each year. It has the advantage that the scores aren't averaged over several years. There are surprises.
    All that information is on the NCAA website.

And lastly, see which soccer teams get academic public recognition awards on a regular basis ( those teams in the top 10% APR) and how many nursing majors are on the team. The team's roster bios for each year on the website will probably tell you that. Check several years.

Hope that helps.

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    More than helpful! Thanks so much. I wish it was a D1 offering a full tuition paid ride, but I'm afraid it's only JC. But in our dumpy, redneck state that's the way things go; it's got 3 major D1's, very few D2-D3's(but then they don't offer athletic scolarships anyways), but than a suprisingly strong, competive JC league that at least offer soccer based scholarships(A lot of other states don't even have JC soccer).
    Talking to other soccer parents who have taking it much more seriously(who took put their kids through ODP, out of state ECNL, non stop D1 I'd camps), I'm beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as a 'free ride" anymore? As those parents were told over & over that by the coaches their only got a few full scholarships to give out and they usually go some hot shot foreign recruit that's on their own country's youth NT.
    So the only advice I can give other parents is if you want to do D1, is that getting academic scholarships will pay more dividends, even if she makes the soccer team

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's a list of all the soccer scholarships available & how much they pay out at every single college in the US(just keep scrolling down).
    http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

this is a handy guide, especially if you signed up your kid on one of those recruiting sites like Captain U or be recruited(from maxpreps). So if your getting these out of state interest, you can check what their college can actually offer.

I was surprised to see that soccer was by far the #1 sport in college in female participation. Clicking to other links on this page it showed soccer(38K participation) far ahead of softball(31K), basketball(only 28K) & volleyball(27K). Don't know if this means that soccer leads in scholarship offer though.

18. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #68 Holmes12, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Parents are warned over and over but if you put coaches in D1 logo'd sweatsuits and folding chairs, they will pay. They will most certainly pay. Look at these consortium camps. Ten D1 coaches attending...look who we have!...Arizona, Duke, etc, etc....a steal at only $550! Compare with other camps...

That 7-10 grade is the industry $weetspot. The era of the sexy showcase. After that, probably post-grade 10 summer, the realities of D1 soccer begin to enlighten kid and parents. No life. When they go to D1 id camps, the patrons start to realize, when they think about it, the college players helping out never look all that happy. This is when the doubt creeps in and club teams, even those accomplished, begin to crack, break down. So industry sets it's mark back to grade 6.

The other lesson is you can ODP/ECNL 'em all up, all those years, but at the end, it's athletic/instinctual DNA on LOI day. not unlike basketball and football. This is who college coaches hope show up somewhere where they're at, preferably their own id camp. Years of exposure paid to industry, an investment with little return for >=90%. Every year I'd see the kids of parents who scratched and clawed to get/keep their kid in the highest leagues for nearly a decade, the highest "showcases", regardless of location, bookshelf surely filled with trophies and medals, only to commit to D3. Or "commit" to D1 for no money and no guarantee of roster spot. Compromising at the end to continue soccer "career".

John Elway was born John Elway. Nobody manufactures John Elway. However, give it time with biotech. Then we can say D1 "offers" can be bought (think Captain America injection tube).

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Be careful.

Women's basketball and volleyball are head count scholarships in division 1. Every athlete awarded a scholarship gets a full ride, and roster sizes closely match available scholarships. Women's tennis and gymnastics are also in this category.

The 15 soccer scholarships are equivalency scholarship allotments shared among 25-30 players, with only a few stars getting full rides.

20. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Clive, correction. A fully funded women's program gets 14 scholarships, not 15. Men get 9.9.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, my bad. Women's Basketball gets the 15 scholarships, all head count.
    volleyball gets 12, I think, also all head count. I'm not sure how that works with Sand/beach volleyball.

22. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I have in my head, oddly, 14.9 women's soccer scholarships/team, but I am not in the mood to look it up. I know its a fraction over 14 total.

23. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    It's 14 exactly total.

24. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    The scholarship totals for women's basketball are too high. It is a five-player sport, and so teams certainly don't need 15 players--absurd. And indeed, many if not most programs do not fill their 15 scholly quota; they don't have 15 players on the roster--often 12 or 13, max. On the other hand, soccer and softball clearly should have more scholarships. They're playing 10/11 people. This imbalance needs to change.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #75 Cliveworshipper, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    well, we could go around about whether soccer needs 30 players also, and that the basketball scholarships available more closely matches the percent of players rostered who log two digit minutes, but that isn't what is driving things.

Basketball is classed as a revenue sport - the only women's sport in that category. As such, they aren't going to cut basketball scholarships in my lifetime. The dreaded equity in athletics thing. 100 male head count scholarships in basketball and football, about 35 women head count scholarships in tennis, volleyball, golf, and basketball. If anything, the number will increase.

If you want soccer to be a revenue sport, you'd better get your relatives to start attending games so soccer becomes a head count sport. In the past, the P5 has resisted any efforts to increase soccer scholarships, and since they control 60% of votes on every single NCAA committee by statute, it ain't happening. The last thing the power conferences want is for every school to pony up more soccer scholarships.