College athletic admissions fraud - the indictment text

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by espola, Mar 12, 2019.

1. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Wow, Jorge Salcedo!

Zamphyr repped this.
  2. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he's innocent. But if not, stay classy UCLA

https://dailybruin.com/2019/03/12/m...charged-in-college-admissions-bribery-scheme/

"Salcedo received a transcript and standardized test scores in May 2016 from former USC women’s soccer coach Ali Khosroshahin for a student who did not play competitive soccer, according to court records. Records indicated Salcedo then forwarded the information to a UCLA women’s soccer coach and the student was admitted to UCLA as a student-athlete, under conditions that the student completed her senior year of high school and participated on the UCLA team for at least one academic year.

In July 2016, Steven Masera, a former accountant and financial officer for Singer’s businesses, emailed a $250,000 invoice to the mother of the student that was said to be a “private contribution,” according to records. According to records, the father of the student asked Singer to confirm in writing the $250,000 would be returned if his daughter did not receive final admission to UCLA. Singer said he would return the money."

In another instance, records stated Singer mailed Salcedo an $100,000 check drawn from one of the Key Worldwide Foundation accounts. In exchange for the money, Salcedo designated the son of another of Singer’s clients as a recruit for the men’s soccer team, despite the fact the student did not play competitive soccer, according to court records.

After the student’s admission, records indicated Singer again paid Khosroshahin $25,000 for facilitating the transaction.

TCS35 repped this.
  3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, looks like I will finally get my wish of Salcedo getting the sack, but not under the circumstances I would've liked. He should have been fired a long time ago for poor coaching results. Anyways, what an embarrassment to UCLA.

He makes 200k-300k in salary alone and he's thrown his career and benefits and pension away for (if the allegations are true) bribes worth an extra year's worth of salary... what was he thinking?

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/search/?q=jorge+salcedo

TimB4Last, fknbuflobo and Peretz48 repped this.
  4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If you'd have given me 100 guesses at how Salcedo's time as UCLA head coach would have ended, I wouldn't have come close to this scenario.

SilentAssassin, fknbuflobo and Peretz48 repped this.
  5. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those not reading all the links, also Mark Riddell of IMG
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20190312/img-academy-director-accused-in-college-bribery-scandal

Longtime Yale coach Women's Coach Rudy Meredith ($400K bribe)

Maybe that vacancy thread will heat up.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #7 bhoys, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    I never really thought about this sort of scam going down in college soccer and other college sports. But back in the early days of the higher-profile, "sanctioned" academy soccer teams, a couple of times I wondered about how and why some of the young players who were selected for these squads actually were picked for those teams.

espola repped this.
  7. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Last good year was 2014 - basically a 500 team since then despite huge advantages of location, funding, conference, highly desirable yet accessible school. and legacy. If true, what a disgrace.

8. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I will make a rash assumption that there are other coaches out there not yet indicted who are having nervous tics whenever the phone rings.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Back in my college days, there were loads (or, at least it seemed like loads ) of guys who walked around saying they were "recruited" but weren't on the team. I always kind of figured they were more or less invited walk-ons, who didn't make the cut or decided not to bother trying. But it never occurred to me to think that the coach might've given them some benefit in admissions. Does anyone know if there are rules governing how many guys a coach can say he's recruiting for admissions purposes, if that's even a thing?

10. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    They should also be looking at all the foreign players who come over here at an advanced age, and have been paid to play before.

smontrose repped this.
  11. VASoccer75

VASoccer75 Member

Oct 28, 2015
    The NCAA already does this, thats what the NCAA clearinghouse is for.

12. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Which consists of "Did you play pro ?, Answer: No. Ok you are cleared."

13. MotorBob

MotorBob Member

Oct 24, 2007
    That this has always happened to some degree seems common knowledge. The size of the payouts is what is eye popping. How did the UCLA coach get a girl on the women's team?

14. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    TCS35 repped this.
  15. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    WatzBruin repped this.
  16. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That can't be a coincidence that the youth team she claimed to play for was being run by one of Jorge's former teammates.

I'm guessing Salcedo thought Zak Ibsen would cover for him if anyone ever asked. Apparently he got that one wrong.

WatzBruin and fknbuflobo repped this.
  18. mc101010

mc101010 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Nov 16, 2018
    In reading all of this it brings up one question. How is the UCLA women's team innocent in all this.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    In another website I frequent, there is a frequent poster who has identified himself over the years as the parent of one of the UCLA women. He and his wife are both former UCLA athletes as well. People are taking much pleasure in deflating his pride balloon.

http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/...cludes-former-yale-womens-soccer-coach.16823/

20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone - I forget who - proposed that an appropriate punishment for the schools involved would be to force them to play the offending students in games.

SilentAssassin, Scotty and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
  23. Wazzaville

Wazzaville New Member

DC United
    Netherlands
    Dec 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Presumably, the NCAA can search the web to double-check such players? The pro clubs are always happy to announce when they have signed some 18 year old on a professional contract. English clubs are obliged to list who they are releasing and who they are offering contracts to every spring.