Colin Cowherd: Cretin

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My morning commute radio options are pretty limited since I finished the CD's of Hitchhikers Guide from the beeb. I am reduced to meatballs on a San Diego station (Snot and BJ or something - horrible radio) or Cowherd on ESPN.

I generally like his style of straight talk but this morning was amazingly poor. He was talking about one of the two best analysts at ESPN, one being Barry Melrose, the other being Tommy "Onion Bag" Smyth.

I nearly drove into a Hummer.

He went on to compound this by saying, well all British analysts sound good at which point he obviously got a buzz in his ear as he went on to say, "he's Irish, really? Well my Mom is English and he sounds English to me".

Sorry, but Tommy Shyte is about the single most Irish sounding person in the world. English? Jaw droppingly bad judgement.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would invest in an a ipod and a car adapter or satellite radio if I were you.

And yes, the annoying little man is Irish. That accent is as Irish as you can get.

PS: I've always wanted John Cleese or Eric Idle to commentate a football match.

3. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Interesting Dave. I too heard nearly the entire show today on my morning drive.

I love Colin because he can make me laugh. His commentary is usually interesting and again, humorous.

When I heard him mention the Euro's, and how he is actually embracing the tournament, I was all ears. Could football really be reeling Cowherd in? I think verrrry slowly but surely, it is.

To be perfectly honest, nothing from the "interview" with Tommy surprised me. I was expecting it to be as dull and kidnergarten as it turned out to be. But what was important to me about it, was that an ESPN radio host spent 10 or so minutes on the sport of football without bashing it at all. OK, he may have indirectly and unintentionally mocked it by asking some painfully route one questions, but he certainly didn't mean to. He's just ignorant to the sport, broadcasting to a bunch of people who are even more ignorant to the sport. Simple as that.

In my opinion he wants to learn. I say we let him do it at his own pace and his own way. This is an American sports host who spends most of his show breaking down NBA drafts, NFL drafts, scouting combines, everything American.

You're right when you say he must be crazy to think Smyth is some sort of football genius (what a terrible thing to even write), but I'm right too when I say that it's because he is ignorant to the sport.

I love watching (or hearing) people experience any kind of football "enlightenment." It just makes me feel good. I felt pretty good hearing that this morning.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed with all written so far.

As much as I dispise Tommy Smyth, its great that at least the local beat writers and/or AM sports guys are getting involved and "talking" about football. A local rag had an article praising Tommy and Julie Foudy for their "expert opinions" which made me choke on my own bile, but I have to also accept the fact that all the games are on TV with no commercial interuption as opposed to some of the previous years of football coverage here in the good old USA.

Personally I think ESPN has got the hint, and I have noticed that Andy Gray and Adrian Healy/Derrick Rae have been commentating on the more important game leaving the Irish Twat and whoever else to finish the other "less important" game. ESPN also brought in Juan Pablo Angel to the studio the other day, which I thought was a nice touch and Foudy has toned it down a little.

I still dont want to see Lalas or Wynalda anywhere near a position as an analyst or commentator.

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's like heaven having Andy Gray commentate on football again - blows little Tommy out of the water.

We get the OC register here and during the season they always have a few column inches around soccer. More than once I've seen a Chelsea article and even picture so it's heartening. Before I gouged my eyes out and cancelled ESPN The Mag, they were also increasing coverage so the momentum is definitely good.

The World Cup is popular already but lots of casual sports fans have been really enjoying the Euro. When people here the accent, they know it's going on and say "What happened to England". :D