Coaching Search on in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by jolieandbecks, Sep 21, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I think his CRS title is "Technical Advisor" but who knows what that really means. Based on his twitter feed, he's also apparently just taken on some sort of additional gig w/ an unidentified men's team (anyone know what team?). I'm guessing that means he has too many irons in fire/balls in air to take a head coaching gig at a WPS club. :shrugs: who knows.

2. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her record with Naimo (Wildcats and Sky Blue) was very good. she did not get a shot once SB went pro so she went to Chicago

Whe went with Emma, instead of staying at SB. I think she would be great

3. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naimo is happy and committed to another Year at Pali

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Charlie and Omid seem to work well together. I assume his role with the team was as a transition assurance when Emma left since he knows the women's game and players pretty well. What his role with the team will be next year, I have no idea. I would mind seeing him come back to the Red Stars in some sort of capacity.
    I've talked to Charlie on several occasions this summer and this guy knows what he's talking about and doing.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Jeff Kassouf is reporting that Atlanta are going to stick with Galanis.

Kind of surprising, if you ask me.

7. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, i didn't realize she was still coaching there.. i got a recruit letter from her in 1994!

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A poor decision if you ask me. But the ATL front office/ownership didn't ask me.

10. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate that idea,maybe keep him as conditioning coach but not as head coach.

11. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To say I am Disappointed in the selection of Galanis as Head Coach and other things that are being bantered around is an enormous understatement. I guess you get what you pay for.

12. osgood

osgood New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kool-Aide i agree with you. Being a Big Atlanta fan im very dissapointed in there choice of Coach. There was some big names out there to choose from.

13. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Wow - 2 re-treads in a two year old league . . . at least those suggestions are green.

Here's a shortlist of people Atlanta might want to contact . . . (no inside info AT ALL, btw)

Pat Farmer
    Matt Yelton (Lee Univ, NAIA champs from TN)
    Sue Patberg (Emory U, formerly Georgia & Minnesota, I don't think she'd be a good hire, but she'd be interesting to talk with and would have some insight that could help the search)
    Christian Michner (just got to CofC, former Illinois ass't.)

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the coaching hire so excited ATL fans that the board has been silent for a week?

15. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I'm not even an Atlanta fan, and it depressed me . . .

16. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, we are still in shock......................:eek:

17. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    This guy is interesting/

It seems like he never played any real soccer and I couldn't find any coaching accomplishments..Can any one help?

History Please?

I really don't care about his academy.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of coaching accomplishments. ATL's own bio for him can't manage to find list a team that he's been the head coach of (beyond Medford Striker Club). And google doesn't yield much. The Universal Soccer Academy but that's about it. as an aside, why is Lloyd's name in scare quotes on that front page?

His claim to fame seems to be individual player training--not leading a team--and working w/ Lloyd particularly. Massive red flag to me but ATL didn't ask me.

19. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Given ATL's fo hires, there was no reason for optimism here. Hopefully their sales staff is more qualified.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You talking about the GM? At the time, I thought the GM hire was a good one--soccer experience, successful sales record, etc. But both head coaching decisions have been puzzlers (albeit in slightly different ways--say what you will about O'Sullivan, at least he had a record as a head coach).

I really hope I get to eat my words about Galanis and that he turns out to be a great head coach and up to the tactical needs of the professional game. But I'm not encouraged.

21. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hmm... I've been away for a while and just read this. I wish him all the best, of course, but I'm somewhat concerned. A new coach would have brought some new ideas and hopefully some motivation for the ladies. It does seem like coaching is really the Achilles' heel (am I using this metaphor incorrectly?) of WPS. Relative to the strength of the players, the quality (and quantity) of the coaches is really quite low. If Galanis had a great coaching support staff around him, things might be different, but it doesn't appear that he does. (I understand the financial constraints -- it's just an unfortunate situation, that's all.)