Coaching Search on in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by jolieandbecks, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jolieandbecks

jolieandbecks Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Lauletta’s League Lowdown

Coaching Search on in Atlanta
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/columnist/100920-lauletta-column.aspx

2. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very disappointed if Galanis were hired to be the new coach. I think that he will be a great trainer & should be kept on the staff in that capacity, but my obeservation at the 3 games I saw him coach was that he was way in over his head in trying to be the head coach of a professional team.

I wonder who the other candidates are? Anyone?

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've tried to figure out some candidates in the other threads w/ little luck. Perhaps we might have a better chance if we start with a list of what are likely (and realistic) requirements for a WPS head coach.

Relatively cheap. We know WPS is on a shoe-string and I think that coaches aren't going to be getting NCAA type money. To me that means any coach with a solid college gig won't leave that gig for ATL. The college regular season ends roughly the 1st week of Nov. That's when the first round of firings will come and coaches start looking for new jobs (and maybe a WPS gig bcms attractive) Although, the coach at Rice got canned last week--some think she's a quality coach who will get a job quickly. (I have no opinion as I don't know anything other than her win-loss record at Rice).

ATL could go w/ a young (relatively cheap) coach with a reputation as "up & coming" that wants to make a name as a head coach more quickly than wait around for an NCAA head job. Are there former (pro) players w/ coaching credentials that might fit the bill here?

For those folks that want a coach with pro experience, there aren't that many choices. Are there quality WLeague coaches that might be available even though WLeague isn't fully pro? Shek Borkowski has increased his blog posting rate of late w/ a focus on WPS. Is he actively looking for a gig in the USA now? He had on-field success with FC Indiana was that b/c they had resources to sign some players other WLeague teams didn't. Would he demand too high of a salary? Is he looking to return to Europe for coaching?

Would someone like April Heinrichs be interested? She's heavily involved in NSCAA teaching/courses, was a technical adviser for the U20 WWC (read her write up about the value/importance of technical ability & possession--seems a totally different perspective than her USWNT days), and is involved in the '11 WWC FIFA stuff. Perhaps WPS coaching isn't a good fit for her at this point if she's moved on to other areas of soccer.

4. bmwus69

bmwus69 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I read this press release by the BEAT and had to LOL at what the Beat GM had to say about his choice for the Int. Coach ( James Galanis); and here's why: so I went to the Galanis era games - happen to sit with several coaching friends behind the Beat bench at the Boston game and listened to Galanis and his Asst./GK Coach (OBTW - I found out he's a light weight coach, nonetheless -the Accountant) give instructions to the Beat players .... OMG- what a joke, so 5 minutes into the match Galanis is telling his Asst. and the Beat players that Tony D & Boston are playing 3 in the back against them and he's going to exploit this formation - this guy Galanis couldn't even see that Boston had Alex Scott playing outside back when they were defending (4 backs) and had Scott going forward to fill a lane on attack. This was one of many sad 'mis- reads' the Beat Coach made in this match ( which IMO could have been 6- nil) and this was just one of many other coaching blunders for the remainder of the season.... I say LOL because if the GM of the Beat really think Galanis is on the 'Short List' for the coaching job and that the Beat played better the end of the season - then the Beat are in bigger trouble than I thought. This GM for the Beat seems to be a light weight as well from a soccer stand point; I know he says he's played soccer in Texas ( High school) & worked with MLS & Unv like SMU but the stuff I read says he was just a SID ('wind bag' we call them) at these organizations - I sure hope the Beat Ownership have some quality soccer minds behind the scenes helping guide this ship back from 'a drift'.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McGee wasn't a sports information director at FCDallas or SMU. He was in charge of ticket sales and "partnerships" (before the fan exodus) and at SMU he was again in charge of sales (ticket, sponsorships, etc). Sales numbers at both places rose while he was there.

As for Galanis, I don't think he should be a head coach either, but if certain players like him as a fitness trainer and/or he might be an assistant in the future isn't it better for McGee to say nice things in the press release?

6. bmwus69

bmwus69 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    so you're drinking the GM's 'kool-aide' now; so why the ticket sales and youth club partnership so poor with the Beat this year under McGee if that's his skill set? (I know many youth Clubs that weren't even courted for partnership)

As for a head coach search - do you want the future of your club in the hands of a hiring manager who doesn't know what he's looking for? ie: Galanis

My point is: you say Galanis is in over his head as Head Coach - AGREE!!!; McGee is in over his head as GM - he should sell tickets for the Beat - that's in his skill set! Find a soccer guy w/ business smarts to be GM

Question: you say a couple players like Galanis as Fitness Trainer and that's why keep him - that's great, but I ask you who's in charge of the team? the Players !

IMO see that's the problem with this whole WPS model; " the Tails wagging the dog" the players have way too much say and from what I see and hear from the Beat Locker room, it's really bad with the Beat. These players should 'do more for less' - the players need to take less money so the league can get of the ground ( the Marta's - Solo' - Wambach's don't need six fig salaries for 7 month work); they need to make the bulk of their money from Nike/ Puma & the lot; these players need to be working everyday - I say again EVERYDAY ( for several hours a day) selling this league to the soccer public if this is what they want to do as a career. The owners need to sort this out and take the league back from the players - the league will never work if the players are in charge! Market a product (WPS) not a player who has short shelf life. The players will come & go - hopefully the clubs and the league will sustain the test of time.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, the kool-aid drinking "accusation" given my user name is cute. The point of my post was to provide the correct information re: McGee's professional background. You said you thought he'd only been an SID. That isn't factually true. Also, McGee is a "soccer guy" and has a history of strong business ability. I just think that if you're going to critique McGee or the job he's done you should try to get your facts correct first. Many people thought his hire was a very good move by ATL ownership when it was announced. I made no comment on whether I agree w/ all of McGee's actions as GM of ATL--if you can quote me on having done that, feel free.

As for the hiring of Galanis as the interim, I've said several times that I think one of the reasons he was hired as the interim was b/c he (unlike pretty much most every other possible candidate) was available at the time (just when NCAAs started) and came cheap. ATL waited far too long to fire O'Sullivan to be able to find more than just a quick stop-gap. I also think/thought it was a dodgy hire. I think a good question to ask is whether the GM or the owner is the driving force on coach hires.

eta: and you're quite wrong about the WPS model being "players in charge" -- this league is very much all about the owners and the individual franchises taking responsibility for their own success at the local level.

eta2: bmwus69, to get back on topic, what sort of coach would you like to see ATL hire?

8. bmwus69

bmwus69 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    kool-aide - check your facts as well - the point of your post was to stick up for your mate- be honest! - Mc Gee did work as an SID prior to his days as Ticket Saleman, also why would the ownership hire a guy to be a GM (who's never been proven as a GM) for a club that needs to get started correctly and as far as his knowledge of the game - I've had direct chats with him and his knowledge of football & coaching is limited - oh yea - that's IMO; he's fairly low level playing experience as a GK is pretty evident.

With the risk of repeating myself ..... I sure hope the Beat have some smart football minds behind the hiring on the next Beat Head Coach and appointment of a proper GM..... let's go Beat in 2011

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you have no confidence in McGee, if you were the GM, what sort of coach would you like ATL to hire? Given the budget limitations, what names would you submit? You have yet to answer that direct question I asked.

Bold is mine. You seem to be moving the goalposts a bit. First you say you think he was "just a SID" in MLS & at SMU. Then, after I state otherwise, you then say well, he was an SID before being a ticket rep. WPS does not have unlimited funds and the list of people with successful GM experience at a women's pro soccer team is, well, negligible. Again, at the time, many soccer people thought ATL's owner made a very solid move hiring McGee. A new franchise must focus on sales (ticket & sponsorship) in a huge way and McGee has previous success there. The jury is still out in terms of his Year 1 performance since we don't know sponsorship revenue financials.

I have never (to my knowledge) met McGee. But I do think that a proper critique of McGee should be based on the actual facts.

I think Year 1 for ATL was a mixed bag in terms of things the GM might be reasonably held accountable for--and we don't know how much control over player selection O'Sullivan was given. Nor do we know how much input/control the ATL owner had in coach hiring.

10. bmwus69

bmwus69 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Kool-aide, yee person of little faith, limited knowledge & incorrect assumptions ....let's share allittle - first -> my Kwick goals are firmly cemented in the ground! Mr. Shawn McGee's professional profile is linked on my Linkedin network so you said " a proper critique of McGee should be based on the actual facts"; again check your facts -did I copy hise CV to this forum - NO - yet different than you - I know the guy.

kool-aide you also said: "I think Year 1 for ATL was a mixed bag in terms of things the GM might be reasonably held accountable for--and we don't know how much control over player selection O'Sullivan was given. Nor do we know how much input/control the ATL owner had in coach hiring. "

Again Kool-aide -> your assumption is incorrect - I do know - exactly " how much control over player selection O'Sullivan was given" so please refrain from the 'ASS-ume' trap.

As far as a Coach for the Beat - I know what the budget was in 2010 .....Kool-aide -tell me oh 'Wise One' - how much do you want to spend for Coaching staff Budget for 2011?

What's the value of a Van by the river in todays housing market? Cheers!

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you do have so much quality information, it would be lovely for you to share with the group. It is possible for you to do that without giving away your sources.

Once again, who would you like to see as ATL coach? Or, if you don't want to name names, what characteristics do you want to see in the coach ATL hires?

12. osgood

osgood New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    im a big atlanta fan and have seen most games this year.
    Why don't fitz and the GM go after terry foley from philly.
    He twittered once that he would like to get back into the coaching side again.
    Most people know he was the brains behind all of the trades and the putting together the roster for the independence.
    Even paul riley the head coach himself said that foley put together the roster.
    Like riley foley has been an accomplished coach nationally.
    In my view he should be on on there short list

13. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charlie naimo, abner rogers, brian boswell, hubert busby,

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naimo has a gig w/ CRS. The others are all west coast guys. Honest question: do you really think they would move across the continent for a WPS gig that probably doesn't pay more (and quite possibly pays less) than their current gigs?

15. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    How bout Platini Soaf, West Coast Coach or Alan Kirkup, assistant at the University of Florida??

16. osgood

osgood New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Alan as a good job at florida would be very surprised if he left there.

17. osgood

osgood New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No im sure they would not move. And i agree they are getting payed a lot more where they are.

18. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denise Reddy, give her a shot and she will do wonders to turn that team around

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like Denise. She always had that cute smile on her face.
    But her record isn't all that compelling as Emma Hayes' side-kick. How she may have done with the CRS if she had stayed when Emma got let go is a bit to wonder.

20. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would gladly take Jim Gabarra for the Beat! Who knows, maybe that's why he quit...to come to the ATL...

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt that. And given his family situation (wife is the long time coach at Navy and has shown little interest that I know about in leaving that geographic area), I doubt he'd take a gig that required him to move. Especially for WPS pay. Maybe I'm wrong and a WPS team makes an attractive enough offer that he's willing to live away from his family for a significant part of the year.

My pretty base-less and very ill informed opinion is that Gabarra will end up w/ a coaching gig w/ a youth club in the Baltimore/N. VA corridor or w/ one of the legion of colleges in the same corridor. If I'm an AD w/ a vacancy, I definitely pick up the phone and make an inquiry.

eta: But just from reading his blog & twitter posts, Shek Borkowski seems to be angling hard for a WPS gig.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You can't deny that Shek Borkowski has been very successful in the women's game. He knows how to coach it and seems committed to it.

If Shek is available, it may be a good thing for the Beat to consider.

24. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Naimo has a gig w/ CRS.

What really is his gig??? How many cooks do you need--CRS must have tons of money!