Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yuiell is 4th in the league in xB, behind LAFC's Kaye and Atuesta and Philly's Medunjanin. Trapp is about 95th.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg prioritizes all the wrong things from his 6. He's asking them to be a big part of the offense. It puts pressure on the 8 to also be the 6.

Then he's also expecting the 8 to provide secondary creativity/width on one side so that they're a supplementary 10 too.

This doesn't set up this position succeed. Players like McKennie/Roldan/Morales tend to get a lot of backlash, and you can understand it because of the optics, but their head has to be spinning given their variety and ambiguity of roles.

Nor is this philosophy on how cm should operate setting up them and in turn the team to succeed. The shape is broken all the time with players at all the positions strewn out wide, trying to create overloads, that they can't handle the opponent when they secure the football. Get it run right down our throat.

In addition to being a misfit for the U.S' pool, I question the style internationally period because it's fit more for a slow-paced, hyper-controlled game, like you'd see in MLS. Spain could pull it off against the Faroe Islands but I don't know if they could even against our ilk consistently. The U.S. playing at Canada should be an interesting test if it works with any real resistance or we'll have to abandon it otherwise get punked.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Egg needs something in the vein of LAFC's central midfield. :cool:

4. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Modern theory suggests that CBs should be able to hit line splitting passes and that a Beerholding regista just gets in the way and is superfluous.

Girt, sXeWesley and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    US coaches are frequently 5 years behind. Remember Arena's desperation to play with a '10' in '06.

russ and sXeWesley repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While both Trapp and Bradley can hit those long switching passes something neither does much or never are those great line splitting passes on the ground that good center backs and good midfielders do. I'd sure like to have a center mid who can make both of those kind of passes and also play great defense, tackle well and be able to dribble well enough to escape a press if needed. Pretty much why we all like Adams in that role.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Paxton Pomykal Characteristics
    Defensive contribution---------Very Strong
    Blocking the ball-----------------Very Strong
    Key passes-----------------------Strong

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The key question is if he can do this when the game speed up beyond MLS and U20s....I’m hoping so!

IndividualEleven repped this.
  9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2384 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Sarachan's teams were often better setup than Berhalter's.

Start with the v Portugal midfield of McKennie, DWill, Acosta . Old school throwball coaches would term that Agile, Mobile, Hostile. Klinsmann summarized it by simply saying "nasty".

Agile, Mobile, Hostile. That is the strength of our pool and that is where we should always start.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Trapp was not good in 2018. He was ok in an extremely limited role against France. I think he may have had one other game where he connected most of his passes, didnt cough the ball up and wasnt a total defensive liability. The rest of the time, he was bad to embarrassing. I'd happily post clips of him vs Brazil and Mexico.

btlove, zhe fulano and sXeWesley repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Trapp completed about 81% of his passes against Brazil.

12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good to see someone beginning to get it. Finally. It only took 9 months.

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Guzman is starting with Trapp on the bench @ Atlanta in 20m. Hyndman, Nagbe, Gressel, Miles. Guzan start for Atlanta with Larentowicz on the bench extending his lifrespan. Zardes and Keita (the goon who played cb for our u20's) start for Crew.

Wouldn't mind seeing Trapp to Toronto with Bradley's contract up in 2019, if they go with 3 man back line. I don't think Porter sees Trapp as his kind of player.

DHC1 and IndividualEleven repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about me? Philosophically I always hated a defenseless 6 and allowing teams to run right down our throats. Don't try to twist it into a negative I actually do get that. Take it up with Gregg.

DHC1 repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I guess those 19% werent that good. He was also exposed defensively. Again, he was not good in this game. He will never be good against this type of talent. He was ok against Frqnce in a very small role.

nbarbour and zhe fulano repped this.
  18. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    What's going to happen the next window (Nations League?)...Will Morales be brought back in, or will it be the ole "gave him the chance, he wasn't 5 times better than Trapp/MB"?

If he is, how will they fit him in with MB/Trapp, cuz I think it's obvious those guys are in the squad until they retire.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess we will find out soon enough

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Take it easy. I just meant generally. .

I heard somebody in media say that when he held his hand up to ask Egg a question, he said "are you going to ask me about the midfield again?"

Edit: b.t.w., you could tell your guy Roldan to contact Tchani and get pointers on how to play bad football while making Egg happy.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #2396 IndividualEleven, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    The tweet consisted mostly of Trapp's missed passes(most of which were in the attacking half), a missed tackle, and whatever. Didn't back up op's point, given Trapp's overall play. However, it was good of the poster to acknowledge the consensus opinion of Trapp's having had a good game.

superdave repped this.
  22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the 19 year old "goon" did a pretty good job for the Crew in a big road win in Atlanta. And amazingly enough, Trapp wasn't missed at all.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The last 10 years of the Brazil vs USA

2018: 2-0
    2015: 4-1
    2012: 4-1
    2010: 2-0
    2009: 3-2
    2009: 3-0

So not too bad in the scheme of things.

In terms of game stats:

---------USA/Brazil
    Shots: 11/12
    On Target: 2/4
    Corners: 6/3
    Duels won: 42/35

Pretty good, considering the opponent. If the team had an in form forward, rather than Wood, then something perhaps could've been had from the match.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Trapp might be seeing some extended bench time.

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Here's what would have been an interesting transformative tactical change that actually fits our pool: trying a three man backline. We've discussed it here for decades and given that we have reasonable depth at CBs and a real dearth at outside backs (our best players probably fall into the wing-back category), it seems better suited for the USMNT than what we've been doing.

This would also allow us to "flood the midfield" with 4 or 5 midfielders. We could have the center of the field manned by Adams, Weston and one of Morales, Pomykal, Williams, Holmes, Roldan, Canouse (the last two deserve a look without Trapp/Bradley). Dest, Yedlin, ARobinson and Arriola are all interesting candidates for the two-way WB position (assuming we've moved beyond Fabian and Chandler, whom would both fit well in that position) and against weaker opponents Pulisic, Boyd, Weah and Morris could be good there as well although i don't think they have the chops for a lot of defending vs. good teams. I'd have to think about what to do with Pulisic vs. good teams - is he best as a SS as long as we have disruptive midfielders who can break lines or create turnovers or should he play as an outside midfielder?

I'm not sure it would work as our CBs don't play this way for their clubs and I think it's vital to put Pulisic in a comfortable position - at least its something that puts our many of our difference makers in positions that work to their advantage. Instead of trying this, we are stuck with a regista after 10 games. SMH.

Note: I still think we should abandon the regista nonsense or at least move beyond Trapp/Bradley but if we're going to try something transformative, this is much better. It's too late of course....

UncagedGorilla repped this.