Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will continue to say that Klinsmann would have made a strong general manager/technical director (yes, I know he was technical director when he coached the MNT, but it wasn't his primary focus). The visionary/structure/player development stuff is what Klinsmann is good at doing and what he enjoys.

He just wasn't a good tactical coach.

TOAzer and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  2. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann wasn’t good at anything.

Grumpy in LA and tomásbernal repped this.
  3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seemed to be a good advocate for his own pay and power.

tomásbernal, Editor In Chimp and napper repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He wasn't a details guy. He might have been able to set a vision. He couldn't/wouldn't have done the dirty work to build an organization.

tomásbernal and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Berhalter a good tactical coach? How about Sarachan or Arena?

What specifically do they do that makes you conclude that they are good 'tactical" coaches?

Borrachin repped this.
  6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I ever say any of them were good? I wasn’t comparing. I was stating my opinion on Klinsmann.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Career win percentages for MLS coaches from just after the 2017 season. There's an excel spreadsheet around somewhere with the full list but this is all I could copy and past after five minutes searching.
    https://www.sportingkc.com/post/201...-coach-peter-vermes-ranks-among-best-business

I bolded a few names that were bandied about as candidates for the NT job

Coach Club Wins Win %
    Sigi Schmid LA Galaxy 230 .555
    Bob Bradley Los Angeles FC 124 .555
    Peter Vermes Sporting KC 115 .543
    Jason Kreis Orlando City FC 115 .510
    Oscar Pareja FC Dallas 87 .542
    Ben Olsen D.C. United 84 .454
    Jesse Marsch New York Red Bulls 68 .548
    Gregg Berhalter Columbus Crew SC 53 .559
    Carl Robinson Vancouver Whitecaps FC 53 .518
    Greg Vanney Toronto FC 51 .571
    Mike Petke Real Salt Lake 43 .562
    Jim Curtin Philadelphia Union 39 .454
    Patrick Vieira New York City FC 31 .588
    Adrian Heath Minnesota United FC 26 .440
    Veljko Paunovic Chicago Fire 23 .463
    Wilmer Cabrera Houston Dynamo 22 .449
    Brian Schmetzer Seattle Sounders FC 22 .615
    Gerardo Martino Atlanta United FC 15 .588
    Chris Leitch San Jose Earthquakes 7 .471

tomásbernal repped this.
  8. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1683 nbarbour, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Not sure where these numbers actually come from. I'm seeing 74 wins, 69 losses, 50 draws on Wiki.

Based on that, Berhalter's win rate in MLS was .383. If you give him 1/3 credit for ties, it is .470. And 0 trophies. Meh.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and Gacm32 repped this.
  9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yayyyy, more Klinsy talk! Always love when we come back to discussing a coach that hasn't been heard from since 2015.

He stunk. Arena 2.0 stunk more. Berhalter is a bit smelly to me right now, due mostly to his player selection (in my opinion, influenced by MLS/SUM, but he the coach, he takes the blame).

Sarachan or Tab look pretty good right now.

UncagedGorilla and Marius Tresor repped this.
  10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Two thoughts:

1) Wikipedia's definition of winning percentage counts ties as half a win. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_percentage
    So the calculation in it's own Berhalter page is wrong. (74+50/2)/193 is 0.513

2) The data is from Sporting KC's website. You can click the link in the original post. The data is from before the USMNT naming. It's also from a source that has no reason to pump Berhalter's numbers. Regardless of what method is used to calculate the percentage it's the same method across the board for all the coaches in the page. No sleight of hand, no pumping up of numbers, apples to apples comparison.

tomásbernal and DHC1 repped this.
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Sarachan? You must be drunk.

majspike and tomásbernal repped this.
  12. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm understanding how they are calculating win %. They are ignoring ties altogether (excluded from numerator and denominator), which is asinine. Think about this scenario:

A: 45 W, 25 L, 30 D = 165 Points
    B: 60 W, 40 L, 00 D = 180 Points

Obviously, you'd want coach B. But "winning percentage" using the methodology you are backing is A=64%, B=60%. It doesn't matter if the comparison is "apple-to-apples" if the underlying methodology doesn't reflect the realities of the game. Berhalter has a mediocre record, whether looking at true win% or points/game. The Sporting KC math is irrelevant.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    And so why was this guy hired? Oh yeah, Jay.

Borrachin repped this.
  14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know people love to complain and I'm not saying some of it isn't warranted, but damn, if Jozy doesn't scuff that 1v1 early I think we would have won the Gold Cup.

Making progress.

gogorath, tomásbernal and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another night it's 2-0 by minute 9. Funny old game etc.

gogorath, tomásbernal and stanger repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not counting ties is not right either as some coaches have many more ties than others. Wikipedia was right. Ties count as 1/2 a win and half a loss. Now if you want to propose going by points that is a valid comparison since most leagues count wins as 3 points, ties as 1 and losses as 0 (except the NHL). However that is comparing coaches by points and by winning percentage. It is also valid to compare salaries for different teams although even that isn't an exact science as Moyes found out at Man U.

17. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way, it would have been another 2011 Gold Cup. Tata made literally a U8 change after half time of putting Pizarro on the right and Berhalter couldn’t figure it out with his U5 plan. Way too advance for him.

18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have at least enjoyed having that lead.

19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We obviously have different opinions.

20. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1695 manfromgallifrey91, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Well usually its win percentage. The amount of times you dont lose is not equal to the amount of times you win. If you want to get into that, his win percentage is like 540, with a record of 67wins 58losses and 45ties, while being 2-5 in the playoffs. Overall excluding the US games, he is 93-79-69 with a win percentage of about 45% in MLS and the Swedish second division. I dont see that as successful, but thats just my opinion. Its pretty middle of the road, which is not what I want from the Head Coach of a national team.

But like you mentioned in another post, he is learning on the fly. Which is why I think waiting to hire him was a mistake (I would not have hired him anyway, but it was really his job only).

21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter was MLS Coach of the Year in 2014 and Crew lost in the conference Semi-finals.

2015 Crew beat Montreal and NYRB, losing to Portland in a controversial game.

2017 Won KO round (ATL) and Conference Semis (NYCFC) lost to Toronto 1-0 agg. in COnference finals.

2018 Won KO round (DC) Lost to NYRB.

That's a little better than the 2-5 playoffs you threw out there.

gogorath repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's probably pretty hard to predict who will do well coaching a national team. England has chosen many former Premier League managers and I wouldn't say they've exceeded expectations in fact I'd say they've underwhelmed. Now they have a pretty non-experienced guy in charge and did the best they've done in ages. Before the recent WC I was pretty on the fence of whether Roberto Martinez would be a good coach for the US or whether he would struggle coaching all US players sort of like English managers have struggled in MLS. He blew away expectations and would love him here now but Belgium renewed him so he wasn't even a possibility.

Elninho repped this.
  23. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats just whats on his CV when I look at the Crews website, if thats wrong, so be it. Im not saying he was awful and didnt do anything, Im just saying he was pretty middle of the pack, and worse than that in Sweden while accomplishing nothing of note in terms of trophies.

I do agree, and I think what you want from a manager at a national team level is a less reliance on systems and more on how they adapt. In Columbus, I think he was able to find players to fit his system and adapt them to it with training and building an understanding over and over. You dont get that at the top level. I dont necessarily want someone with vast experience (if they have experience, I want it to be good experience with winning something) as long as they have the ability to coherently showcase players based on their skills, not fit players to their system. Martinez is a good example of morphing to the players at his disposal. I think Gregg needs time to see if he can do this, not showing so far that he wants to, but another reason I wish he was on the job a year ago. Revisionist I know, but I just very underwhelmed if you just look at his coaching record which is what coaches should stand on if they have experience.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which others?

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's such an arrogant twat that no-one would want to work with him.

tomásbernal repped this.