Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerg really has a handful of potential Bornsteins lurking in this squad... How many blunders are we going to see is the question. Based on the tune up games, there will be more than one...

Does anyone really think low expectations are ok?? (besides the fed.)

Whatever PR downplay they try to orchestrate, it won't matter... Not when you're already viewed as grossly incompetent and derelect.

Marius Tresor and Patrick167 repped this.
  2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah, just finished reading an article that spent at least half its words explaining why you can't expect the US to do well in this tournament. Ridiculous. Any reasons we can't at least make the final if not win this thing with the team Mexico sent are completely self-created.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    These are all teams that Camp Cupcake would be expected to beat at home (excluding mexico in the final)

FormerNo10 and UncagedGorilla repped this.
  4. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is, Mexico has a legit coach. He knows talent and he doesn't force feed it to a dumbass system.

Namdynamo, FormerNo10 and Marius Tresor repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You kinda sense that Concacaf can see how bad we are becoming and are doing everything they can to smooth the path to the KO rounds.

b.t.w., the panama u20's who played in finals in Poland were pretty good. they were missing striker(s).

6. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope I'm dead wrong, but I don't see this U.S. team making it to the final.

FormerNo10 and Marius Tresor repped this.
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it really depends on who we luck into out of group rounds... In either case, we will learn much as to the cash value of Team General Egg.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it? I won't confuse friendly results using variant lineups with real competition. I think there is some question how far we will go. I have little hope that we will win the Gold Cup, but can we make it to the final? We'll have a pretty good idea after the first 2 matches.

stanger repped this.
  9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will likely have to get through Jamaica and Honduras to get there. Can we do this? I don't know. Should we do this? Yes, because we have the resources. Those 2 teams aren't chopped liver. There is some challenge to do it. But if GGG can't meet the challenge, then .....
    [​IMG]

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Whatever the result, other than winning the whole thing, it will be "just one game".

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Probably getting out of group is enough for Egg to keep the job. "We're in the process of rebuilding and need some time to find the best players in the pool, what matters is that we have a clear system in mind and we're progressing toward that goal..." etc.

You know the spiel.

12. Girt

Girt Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Long time lurker first time poster.

Ok here's one thing to think about.

A few clips from Berhalter's interview quotes and it seems he's literally teaching professional players how to play a new position. i.e. 'teaching' Pulisic how to play in the middle.

It's like Rafa trying to teach Ronaldo how to dribble at Madrid? Why would you do that?

National Team has few weeks together a year. They are pro players, no one watched film in a room and one day said 'yep, let's play Dempsey at striker'.

Dempsey FORCED his coaches to move him by his actions on the field. He scored all the time and was so dangerous higher up the field and he PROVED IT while playing as a winger?

Anyone else get the vibe he's trying to re-invent the wheel here?

btlove, nowherenova, ardubois3 and 2 others repped this.
  13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The problem with a system is that it takes away the possibility of invention.

If the system is that the sun revolves around the earth, well...….you know the rest.

Tab with U20's this year faced a situation where Durkin 6 and Mendez 8 were dq' on yellow accumulation which forced him to use Servania at the 6 and Ledezma at the 10 which moved Pomykal from the 10 where he had been playing to the 8 where Mendez had been playing. The result was that we saw Pomykal was extremely successful as an 8 and that
    Ledezma 10 + Pomykal 8 > Pomykal 10 + Mendez 8.

Chemistry is so much more important than "system". Hwvr, it is unlikely that gullible fans, big money and big media would understand that a big star has to sit because his chemistry quotient is bad. So.....we get "systems".

Patrick167 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  14. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the USSF proved just how incompetent they are (why did you allow this Earnie?) because they had a shot at Tata and decided not to seriously approach him because why? Because they are idiots that is why.

15. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of us get it ... it is not that damn hard - KISS ... pick the best players, focus on the chemistry - put the players where they best play (for their clubs) .. make sure they are as fit as you can make them ... focus on defensive organization ... and for god sakes don't overcomplicate it. I don't know why he does not play CP on the left or right wing - keep McKennie and Adams in the middle .... pick a good 9 to slide in behind Jozy and put Weah or someone fast on the opposite wing midfield ....

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome!

Leave while you still can.

17. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason the asswipe comment about 'english speaking' came out during the absurd months long process to hire a coach was because Tata was the best candidate available and Beerholder's brother and the USSF insiders club had already decided who the new coach was. The facade was dragging it out and using the dog media for US soccer as their mouthpiece to justify the hire.

nowherenova and Patrick167 repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Modern defenses are based upon collective spacing and good communications between players. Berhalter’s system switches between a 3223(!) and a 433 so it take time to communicate when they need to switch and in what situations.

I think it’s daft for a national team but if he’s going to do it, the team has to be on the same page of when to switch.

19. Girt

Girt Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I would love to see this!

20. Girt

Girt Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I get it, but it seems a little much, the first few friendlies were ok, but I mean it took other teams a few months and they already found it out? Hence the bad results last week. I haven't read one thing about the other team scouting how predictable this whole 'system' is and it's been proven easily breakable. Even when trying new formations.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's a big problem. People will be clamoring to put on the field all the players with the high Transfermarkt values at the same time, and that forces the hand of the coach who has to pick a formation/tactic that allows for that to happen, even if detrimental to the rest of the pool.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    smart teams will absolutely smoke out our weaknesses (hint - it’s our DMs who can’t defend) and denude Adams’ ability to cover space while covering for Bradley and Trapp.

Patrick167 repped this.
  23. Girt

Girt Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Exactly. Hope they turn it around soon.

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Mourinho is available and wants to be a National team coach.

Just saying......

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Rumor is Mou wants to coach Portugal and it's waiting for CR to retire from the international game (which is going to happen soon). The problem is Portugal is looking ace under Santos so he's likely to get renewed next year and no Mou.