Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    If you are smart enough and objective enough, as you obviously are, to recognize that there are a range of player types and of player abilities among USMNT players in Europe and in MLS (i.e. some are better technically, or physically, or tactically, or at more specific aspects of these three broad areas, and all are individuals who aren't just balls of clay molded by their environments), then why make a throwaway comment like you did aimed at the tactical nous of MLS players in general? When I call you on it, you admit you think Baird and Zardes are pretty good at off-the-ball runs/movement. So yeah, based on what you said, I have every reason to believe that if Amon or Weah missed a run, you wouldn't blame their leagues for it. You would either ignore it or judge them as individuals. Why not the same for MLS players?

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Because I was talking in general and then I thought about players specifically. Would you prefer my posts go on and on and on and on as I list every scenario and caveat? I also expect to see a time when two of the European players end up next to each other and not in their proper channels.

btlove and Maitreya repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The field at T&T wasn't particularly conducive to passing.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The field in RBA was, that was our first chance to seal qualification and we failed.

onefineesq and bsky22 repped this.
  5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    They weren't both European, but the one spot with two new guys was a problem. Morris and McKennie were constantly getting in each others way.

Maitreya repped this.
  6. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair my take on what most everyone sees with Trapp and Bradley is that if you give them time and space they can both hit nice long diagonals. So by guessing how many they make one has to guess how the opposing team will play. if they press Bardley or Trapp there will be few of those passes. Leave them alone and there will be a lot. The problem is in friendlies most managers won't spend a lot of time dissecting their opponent but once games mean something and you play your confederation rivals they will study you to death. And know to press Bradley and Trapp.

btlove and vexco repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The article makes a good point in that if the backline is very good at line breaking passes (which they were yesterday) then the opposition can't just focus a press on Bradley/Trapp. Long and Brookes both had good, consistent passing. Not just short passes to Trapp but a lot of long passes. Ream also had a few instances himself including the assist.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Now that I've had time to think about. This was actually a very good outing. Many of these guys had TWO DAYS to learn the system.

Marko72 and Pragidealist repped this.
  10. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #335 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    I think there were positives but I would say it was an average outing at best.

Was at the game in person. I thought this was Will Trapps best game in USA shirt.

That said, this was one of the worst South American teams ive seen in person. Ecuador didnt seem to get out of first gear and they sat dangerous players. Keeper should have tracked the blooper shot but Arriola should have buried the 1 on 1. Fair result.

Ive been saying for a long time that Puli needs to play on the wing in this system. The only time I can see him playing #10 is if its in a 4231. This really should be a no brainer. We had possession but he was unable to make his mark. Imagine Puli on the other end of some of those passes to Arriola by Trapp. Honestly, we might have been better off switching those 2 (Puli,PA) players positions. Puli drives better than PA. Against a pacey wb like Paredes......should have been a lay up decision.

I didnt feel like TA drifted inside until the second half. It felt like Lima was upfield and centrally a lot more in January. Granted, vs lesser competition. I really feel like hes wasted in that position. He was splitting lines with passes from rb. I would much rather see that closer to goal in a midfield position. Wonder why RBL called him back?

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I haven't liked a lot of the roster choices and there are a few tactical ideas Berhalter employs that I don't agree with, but I think the NT is in great shape because we have a very good coach in place. I think Berhalter is going to maximize results, which you can't argue with.

The team looks a lot better in what they try to do tactically. Berhalter has the right ideas of what wins games at the highest levels. I don't know if we yet have the players to successfully play the way Berhalter wants to against top teams, but its better to lose with the right tactics than fluke out results with anti-football.

Patrick167 repped this.
  12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Regarding Pulisic, Berhalter's opinion is that he did great in his positioning. That means the other forwards weren't so great. It's fair to say that when Pulisic had the ball he had three players on him. It's also fair to say that while we had a low amount of shots we had a lot of possession in places where we could shoot. These are all indicates that if the players know their roles better and execute their positioning and ball movement quicker that we will have Pulisic and others in more favorable situations for scoring. The big tell will be if the players are willing to go the extra mile and learn the system well. The big positive is that Berhalter is invested in tactics, positioning and having his players understand their role.

What I am not saying is that this is it. This is the ticket and we have a winning system. I am just saying that the initial results are decent.

FeedhimtothepigsArold and DHC1 repped this.
  13. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    With the departure of Adams and MM not having played, who is up to take Adams' place and who sits in the back line? If they continue with this formation, I fear that whom ever winds up at LCB will be in for a tough night. Chile is built to counter and they will expose that side. I could go on, but just this now.

14. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I can't really imagine anyone other than Lima. He is the only one with game experience in the position. Yedlin may also get a chance but I would guess that he goes in on the wing like Berhalter origininally planned,

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pressing is the least developed part of Yedlin's game and he's not a guy who lays off a diagonal pass. He can recover, pin a guy to the sideline, combine and he crosses. So his characteristics fits the right winger role better. If Chile is aggressive that will leave him space for his speed and a cross. This all will also really depend on how Lima will handle Chile.

16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    It sure gives Lima a golden opportunity to show he belongs.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If G-money wants to use Adams as a fullback who doubles as an additional mid, it has crossed my mind that using him at LB makes more sense as that would fill our weakest position.

That way Yedlin remains at RB and we don't see additional ridiculousness like Ream at LB.

Also opens up more of the pitch to Adams thru balls as from the left he's playing off his stronger foot.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yedlin as a stay home RB in a three man backline will be worse than Ream. If everyone is so uncomfortable might as well call it quits and just use a plain vanilla 4-4-2.

Pragidealist repped this.
  19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Worst take ever if this is a push for attacking attractive soccer. The only thing that matter is scoreboard and playing a sound defensive game is a more than viable alternative for teams with a talent deficiency.

I worry that many fans and even USSF focus on style instead of results.

That path leads to the dark side.

20. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Agreed / Yedlin jusy isn’t that good of a defender

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought Tyler handled the situation with maturity.

b.t.w., Univision has deigned to give Tyler a nickname. Having dubbed Puli the chico maravila ("wonder boy":) ) they refered to Tyler as "baby face":cool: (in English). I think they called Arriola "cholo":rolleyes:. They were adamant Pulisic should be Captain. After a few minutes into the game they all agreed "este equipo llega al mundial" (this USA team qualifies). So, compliments to Gregggg from Mejico.

Never change, Mexico.

napper repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Greg used Yedlin like Klinsmann used him

Pragidealist repped this.
  23. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Yedlin would not do better than Ream at the flat FB role. And I say this while not wanting to see Ream in the shirt ever again.

Why must Yedlin be on the pitch? He’s currently our best healthy RB (Chandler when available is still better, imo) but GGG isn’t playing with an overlapping RB or LB. He is not a must-play.

24. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

This is what we are equipped for, player wise. We have a guy in Adams that can play the role the coach wants. It is the others that will keep that from becoming our constant formation. If the coach is smart, he will use it when it suits the opponent. Speed and a countering mentality is not going to work if we go tucking in the RB without top notch 3 in the back. Long was good. That is not his usual spot with RB. MM is a RCB. This role may not be his best. Ream is more of a LCB in a back 4. That is how Fulham play. Yedlin is a fine defender in a 442. His speed keeps his opponent honest and he gets forward and crosses. He is fine when the formation is solid. He's not the kind to adjust on the fly. As a midfielder, I am suspect. As I said before you have to realize what players you got before you get complex. We are close, but not there yet. I for one, would not like to see a lot of losing while trying to get so complex. Keep it simple.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think 3G may be ahead of us in respect of changing up tactics. He can, in mid-game, move Arriola to rb and push Adams up with Pulisic moving to the wing, e.g.

ussoccer97531 repped this.