Coaching openings

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by kickithard, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarHeel95

TarHeel95 Member

Feb 12, 2005
    Re: Houston

Wofford has more than 4 1/2 scholarships. Agreed, it is not the best situation at Wofford but she has more money that you are saying.

2. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I think we have covered the fact that playing at a good school, for a good coach does no more to predict success than what you had for breakfast. Sure it helps, but there is a lot more to do to make yourself successful.

I caught the last half of the CS Fullerton-SDSU match on Saturday here in the OC. Both teams looked good, with SDSU looking fresher at the end and getting 3 or 4 quality looks and CSF getting 1. A parent told me CSF scored early and that goal stood up, 1-0. The SDSU parents I talked to all confirmed what I had heard that they all deperately want Friesen to be named coach. The current players and recruits love him, love his style, love his coaching and are much happier than 5 or 6 months ago.

The candidates interviewed last week and both other two, UCR coach and Wake Forest coach were not impressive at all. No hints have come from the administration to the parents, so they are waiting...and hoping this week. To any ACC fans out there, why would the wake guy leave wake for SDSU? That makes no sense to me. Is he on the outs there?

The Fullerton crew loves Demain and are really happy with how their search turned out. I thought CSF looked good, played hard as always, but have some shoes to fill at keeper and in the back. SDSU played more possesion than they have in the past and if they could have finished, would have won going away. But it's soccer. :)

3. Los Angeles

Los Angeles New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Is the Wake Forest coach Tony da Luz?
    http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/daluz_tony03.html

He used to coach for USD, left after 96. That was the year he got the Pac-10 Coach of the Year award and USD made it to the second round of the tournament - lost when their keeper refused to play and they hadn't even brought a second-string. He went to Wake Forest the next year, took an SDSU player with him.

Funny that he wants to come back, to the rival school no less.
    Apparently he's really a California guy. Grew up in SD, graduated from USD... Probably doesn't feel at home at Wake Forest.

But is it him you're talking about?

4. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread but is Kevin Boyd from Cal possibly going to be the next guy at ASU? Heard that today...

5. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Wow, Tony is pretty talented if he got Pac 10 coach of the year while coaching in the West Coast Conference. :)

I would be surprised if Boyd is going to ASU. Why would he resign before he was hired there. He also stated he is moving back to Boise Idaho. Sounds more like conjecture. Unless ASU has gotten desparate and chased him down after he quit.

6. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    FWIW, I heard the same thing about Boyd talking to ASU.

I don't know about the Wake guy, just heard he was a candidate but was not impressive.

7. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Are you Freisen's agent? You push for the guy like he is the second coming. I have heard plenty of not so postive's about this guy. Are you him? He was a part of the debacle that went on down there. No matter whose fault it was there was obviously a lack of management going on in that program for it to combust like that. Why on earth would anyone involved in that program being under consideration for the job. They need a fresh start IMHO. They need to think long term. Every player likes the assistant. The players opinion should not matter.

8. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    How am I pushing this guy? I have heard comments from my coaching buddies who know the guy and comments from the SDSU parents I talked to on Sat. Go back and read my posts. If I knew him, I would say, "hey i know this guy and can vouch for him." I am relaying what I have heard. Lay your cards on the table, what do you know of him? If neither of us know him, we are just hearsaying this thread on down the line.

On a philosophical note, my question to you is this: what if the assistant coaches didn't agree with decisions a head coach was making? What then, should they do? Lay down in front of the team bus? Go to the newspapers?

If an assistant from a program that has undergone the turmoil that SDSU has is under consideration, maybe there is a good reason. Maybe he wasn't a part of it. Maybe he was in teh AD's office everyday complaining about how things were run. Maybe he was fighting the head coach tooth and nail on every decision? Who knows...I don't think an administration would keep a guy around unless he was pretty clear of the drama. From what I have HEARD the guy is a good coach, a nice guy and my buddies think he would do a good job as a hc. And the parents I talked to said the girls really hope he gets it. That's it. If I were his agent I would be charging a lot more, and not be posting on some women's college soccer message board that only 12 of us read.

9. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Everytime you mention SDSU you paly the "everybody loves him" song. I don't know him nor care too.

An assistant who does not agree with the head coach should discuss it with the head coach. If that does not change things they should leave. The job of an assistant is to work for the head coach. If their philosophies do not jive they should go find another program. As for parents - what the hell do they know. Like I said an assistant is everybody's friend. That is 70% their job. The head coach does the dirty work laying the heavy on decisions and discipline. I always shudder when I hear 'the players want so and so' because they like him. A great head coach is not always liked. They are respected.

10. salaad

salaad New Member

Sep 1, 2006

Very well said!!!!

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Some of the stuff you just said is BS. I've seen Jerry Yaegly at Indiana just sit on the bench and let his assistants do everything.

12. Los Angeles

Los Angeles New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Oops, I meant WCC coach of the year in '96, also ACC in 98... no Pac-10 in sight.

13. salaad

salaad New Member

Sep 1, 2006

True, but lets talk about those Assistants. Those guys are know both very good Head Coaches. Trask and Freitag are not your typical Assistants.

14. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    The assistant coach is always the player's friend - that's how every team works. The players need to know they have a coach they can go to with problems and issues without it hurting them. When the tough decisions are made it is always the head coach who takes the heat. I've never heard of an instance where people were actually complaining that the assistant coach took away a scholarship, playing time, etc.

I would be very cautious with hiring an assistant coach because the players and parents like him - if they didn't he wasn't doing his job!

15. futballr99

futballr99 New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Full disclosure, my DD plays for SDSU. I have been occasionally reading this board, but haven't posted because I don't like my opinions and observations getting trashed on here.

In this instance, the assistant was the guy who was the disciplinarian. He was way tougher on the team, demanded more out of them, tried to set strict lines and push them to get better. They RESPECTED him more than the hc, who was a nice guy, but needed a tighter leash with some kids who had some attitude issues. The team, and me as a parent, wants THIS assistant hired because not only do we feel he knows the game, but since he has been as an assistant, and as acting as the interim demanded way more of them than the hc ever did. He runs a tight ship and the girls like that and more importantly respect that. THAT is why they want to play for him, not because he sat with them on the back of the bus and heard their life story.

And as far as "what the hell do parents know?" I have watched my kids grow up and play different sports for different coaches...combined for over 15 years of club coaches, high school coaches, college coaches, rec coaches, etc.. More imporantly, I work with people and manage people. I may not know the in's and out's of a certain sport, but I know good coaching and good management when I see it. Parents know more than you think we do. Some cross the line, some are idiots, some only care about their kid, but to dismiss our ability to judge a good coach when we see one just because we are parents is crazy.

16. sdsocceroldie

sdsocceroldie New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Dude, I know the Wake guy. When he was here at USD the admin wanted him to suspend that player for academics or something and he didn't. So then they suspended her and he subsequently left USD for Wake.

He definitely wants to get back to San Diego but I always heard he wants back at USD. When he comes back here to visit his folks and he is out on the town with the boys, he makes no bones about it. Maybe he will bide his time at State until USD opens?

His son plays for the Wake men's team, so it is off to me why he wouldn't just wait 3 years til the kid is done and then come west. Who leaves watching their kid play on a top ranked team to go across the country to a crappy program?

17. dancefan

dancefan New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    AZ
    I think ASU is a good place to coach. You get to stay in the Pac 10, admissions standards are an easier fit with most recruits than Cal (avoiding 10 players who really just want to get on the Cal campus any way they can), and housing is relatively cheap. I can't comment on the Tempe v Boise comparison, other than to write that at regionals I loved Boise but felt it had too much religious fervor in the community for my family. AZ has enough of that I know but it definitely has a more diverse and much larger metro area in which to raise a family. Another ASU plus is that as long as the team is competitive and is perceived as a positive reflection on the university no one will criticize the coaching staff. After all, the only team Phoenicians (by that I mean the entire Metro area) really care about is the Suns!

18. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    I think Cal is the more attractive school to recruits because of its academic reputation. I can see Boyd's desire to get out of Berkely because it is a expensive area. However his recruiting will have been easier at Cal because of the location and prestigious reputation. He was also the beneficiary of in-state recruiting in California.

19. Rocky Colorado

Aug 13, 2004
    Hillsborough, CA
    But recruiting is much tougher because of Cal's high standards, as opposed to the second-tier academic requirements of a school like Santa Clara.

20. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Most girl soccer players are smart! That is why Stanford is good. There are so many top players plenty capable of getting into Cal and when giving a choice they will choose Cal over AZ State. Cal will always beat a 3rd tier academic school in recruiting. AZ State is a tier 3 school. Arizona is tier 2.

21. alibabba

alibabba Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Cal has tough academic standards for students, not student-athletes. They can get almost anyone they want in school there if they are an athlete...The only school in California with tough academic requirements for athletes is Stanford.

22. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I also wonder what really happened at Cal with Boyd. All the reasons he stated for leaving Cal are now somehow resolved at ASU? I find this a bit disingenuous.

23. CNSoccer

CNSoccer Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think the old saying "too much of a good thing" finally caught up with Boyd at CAL. Too many good players, too many promises, etc and not getting further in the NCAA tourney along with many players not liking him led to his resignation. Promised scholarship money to players that he reneged and too many complaints to the AD. It was a bit odd that this all came to a head so late in the year.

Arizona State will be tough too. Ray Leone tried to attract players with an underlining thought they may get as closer look for the U-20 national team coached by his wife Tracey. His best recruiting class will graduate this year and he has nothing to show. This is why he's off to Harvard.

24. Boston Bob

Boston Bob New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    disingenuous? complaints forcing him out? Please stop the rumor mill. He has been honest with everyone that knows him.

He does not want to raise a family in California. Would love to be in Idaho but loves Phoenix also and the surrounding countryside, mountains, etc. This is what he wants for his family. Since when is a quality of life decision a negative. Why must there be more to it?

If he was in such trouble with Cal then why did the university ask him to be an integral part of hiring a new head coach and offer to keep him on for months with pay? Totally ludicrous that an AD would do that for a coach that was so disliked and in such trouble.

25. Boston Bob

Boston Bob New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    And do you personally know why Ray has left ASU? I bet no. You are just assuming and making it a negative. Again, ask him personally about why. He has also been honest. It is about family.

Amazes me that some people make tough choices about what matters most to them in life and others try to tear them down for making the choice to put family first.