Coaching openings

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by kickithard, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickithard

kickithard Member

Jan 14, 2004
    OK here we go everyone one. SO far 4 jobs are open--Murray State, St. Mary's in CA, Iowa, UC Irvine. What is everyone hearing. I think we have said Drake head coach, Iowa State asst. coach for this one but what about the others St. Mary's is a good job tough conference, UC irvine could be good as well. No one has said anything about MSU except that the asst. does not have a degree. Other than that what do we think will happen.

2. SoccerKicks

SoccerKicks Member

Dec 31, 2004
    You can add Idaho State to the list.

www.cstv.com
    Head Women's Soccer Coach Mark Salisbury Relieved of Coaching Duties and Placed on Administrative Leave

3. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he do something bad? Why Administrative leave?

4. MrZedd

MrZedd New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    From the ISU website:

"When you look at the success this program enjoyed, in its short history as a Division I sport, and the role it has played at Idaho State, then consider the direction we have gone in the past two seasons, it became apparent to me that a change in leadership was needed," said Bubb.

Ouch.

5. EJDad

EJDad New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Standard move- lets him keep his salary as he lives out his contract.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the corporate world it's called "Special Projects", in other words getting paide to look for another job.

7. SoccerKicks

SoccerKicks Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Any news out of Iowa if the Drake head coach is taking the Iowa job?
    RegionII? MenaceFan? Any insights?

8. kickithard

kickithard Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I heard that they are going after a big time coach and increasing the salary by 20k a year. She was the lowest paid head coach in big 10. I would be shocked if drake is it. They want someone who has been to the NCAA tourney

9. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    All I know is UI is/has formed a seach committee. I keep looking it up on the Hawks web page. Nothing new??

10. whatcurse

whatcurse New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    It's my understanding that there has been no contact between the two.

11. hcctim

hcctim New Member

May 15, 2004
    Des Moines, Iowa
    They may be looking at Casey Mann. He is current coach of Des Moines Menace.
    Menace was the National Champions of the Men's Developmental League this year and advanced 4 rounds in the Lamar Hunt Cup Tourney. They beat all comers in the Developmental League as well as the Second Division National Champs and Runners up. They were finally eliminated in that tournament by the Kansas City Wiz of the MLS. In the past Mann has been very active in Women's programs. He was an assistant at Arizona. He took a local Des Moines Club Team to the Regional Semis. He took over a local high school team and had them in the State Tourney in his second year. He has coached ODP boys and girls. This past summer's run through the Lamar Hunt Cup and the PDL National Title raised his profile considerably. His wife was a soccer player for Iowa State several years ago. If the ISU administration were to let Hornbacher go (her second drunk driving incident, but was also Big XII Coach of the Year this fall) Mann would probably be a consideration there, as well.

12. kickithard

kickithard Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I heard that they were going to go after the Iowa State head coach now I wonder what will happen

13. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Not gonna happen, no way. No how. I have it on very good authority that this has niether been discussed officially or unofficially, nor will it be considered by either party.

14. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    No one is going after anyone. She was put on probation and her scheduled payraise of $9k was suspended. Done. End of speculation, move back to the U of Iowa job. I do think that the Drake coach would be an excellent choice. Being a Hawkeye fan, it is difficult to see that program struggle the way it has in the past. I hope they can get someone soon and turn that program around. I think Alford should give some of his salary back so we can add it to the soccer coach's salary to attract someone who can attract talent!

15. NitLionFan

NitLionFan Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Murray State is announcing their new head football coach tomorrow, so I will assume that they will wrap up that search and start a search for the head women's soccer coach position. The fact that they haven't done anything to date about a job announcement should indicate how they feel about the program - low priority.

16. NitLionFan

NitLionFan Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Who in the world would want the Idaho State job?

Here are some selected messages from their board (bold is mine to highlight interesting info): http://thebengalden.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=general (go to bottom and run search using word "soccer")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As predicted on this site a month ago, the soccer coach has been dismissed from his duties. I have never met Salisbury and he may be a quality individual, but he just couldnt maintain a winning program let alone take it to the next level which is the position Gordon left it in. This Paul Bubb guy is my kind of guy so far. Pushing for a facilities reveiw to determine what is needed, deals with a difficult situation with the hoop and football players somewhat effectively and now he runs a non-productive coach out the door. Coaches and staff beware this guy will not put up with poor performances. My judgement is still out on this guy, lets see who he hires for soccer and how much follow thru he has with the facility issues.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I thought we had hit bottom; there was no way we could sink lower with losing seasons in soccer, volleyball, football, problems with law enforcement, and above all, life threats to athletes. All I want for Christmas is for the fat lady to sing. I am lost with what to do--who do you complain to?
    To buy out the contract of a coach in a non-revenue sport would be completely assenine. What's the point? The only coaches that should ever be bought out would be football and men's basketball. Any time that you buy out the contract of a coach, there needs to be a financial justification for doing so. If we buy out Mark's $90,000, what are we going to get in the future?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The women lost to NAU and do not make the 4 team Big Sky playoff. Now what? I know there is the argument that ISU often doesn't give a coach a chance, but this is a unique situation where the ISU soccer program was the Big Sky (and a regional) power. It drew almost 1,000 fans today, so the interest is there. Is it curtains for Salisbury, or is next year the make or break year for him?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *The players involved in the mess a few weeks back do appear to have received nothing more than a slap on the wrist. The police may not have been able to connect the shootings, but this is where the AD AND coaches need to come forward and actually do something. Revoke a scholarship (it's done for lesser reasons at every other school), force the students involved to live on campus (Urban Meyer did it while at Utah), enforce curfews...

17. pantone159

pantone159 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Austin
  18. SoccerKicks

SoccerKicks Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Congratulations and best wishes to Kelly!

It will be interesting to see who fills her spot at Texas.

19. WCC Fan

WCC Fan New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I just posted the Saint Mary's announcement in the WUSA forum before seeing your message here, pantone159. It's an impressive appointment for a talented young woman. I'm sure Kelly will enjoy the WCC competition against Jerry Smith's (and by extension, former WUSA teammate Brandi's) Broncos. She'll also encounter ex-CyberRay Mandy Clemens, who is Loyola Marymount's Head Team Manager.

20. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Has anyone heard who UC Irvine is interviewing?

21. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    She isn't a better coach than Sapsford who if you don't recall led Stanford to the quarterfinals before getting the Saint Mary's gig. The problem at Saint Mary's is getting the players. They can't compete with SCU, Stanford, Cal in the Bay area and the other West Coast schools in general.

Good luck Sappy, one of the good guys.

22. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    UC Irvine hires April Heinrichs. Very interesting choice. Will she turn around this So Cal program?

23. Orange&Black

Orange&Black New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Way to take a bunch of messages out of context! Luckily, most people on here are smart enough to visit the board and read the threads which explain these. For those who didn't, here's the deal:

Idaho State started its soccer program in the late 90's under the coaching of Gordon Henderson (now the HC at Arkansas). He grew the program into a dominant program for the conference and region (3 straight trips to the NCAA Cup, and a win over Utah in the first round). A previous AD hired Salisbury, who quickly tanked the program (and missed the Big Sky tournament each of his two years)! This was not a program to rebuild -- ISU and the Pocatello community are very proud of this team, and a change was needed before all interest was lost.

There is a new athletic administration at ISU -- in the past (as in 10-20 YEARS ago) there was a misconception that ISU didn't give coaches enough time in rebuilding a program -- like 4 or 5 years max. That isn't the case, and the discussion on the ISU board stated this -- this was a top program quickly taken to the cellar.

Pocatello is a very SAFE, family oriented community. That is why there is such uproar that a few members of the football team are having an idiotic fight with a few members of the basketball team. The problems seem to be clearing up, and hopefully some of them will be given their walking papers.

That said, ISU has very nice soccer facilities, and there is an interest in the games. A lot of work was done a couple of years ago to improve Davis Field, including the installation of a new playing surface. Hopefully we can get a coach to take us back to the winning ways the program was used to.

http://isubengals.collegesports.com/genrel/071603aac.html

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. NitLionFan

NitLionFan Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Actually Orange and Black, the excerpts do not take your convos out of context. It's actually pretty accurate overall. I'm not sure what coach would want to try to coach there after Salisbury was yanked after two years. Guess folks thought he sucked. Two years isn't enough time to bring HIS players in, though. You say the previous administrations of yesteryear had a rep of yanking coaches out too quickly? What does too quickly mean, one year? Salisbury was out after two - seems pretty quick to me. And in the cellar means no conference tourney for ISU? Or a dismal record? Your team was 9-8 pre-conference tourney in 2003 before Salisbury. I wouldn't exactly call that a power team...

I am sure Idaho State is a lovely place to be at. Guns and athletics don't mix in my book, though.

Any word on who your new coach is?