Coaches and Tournaments

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Aug 29, 2016.

1. halftime oranges

Apr 21, 2015
    #26 halftime oranges, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    This is what I really want to address. I seem to have nothing better to do today. What is your real problem with this club? You keep taking jabs at it. Their participation in MRL is not some marketing ploy. Same with presidents cup. Every thing they do you spin to have some dark intentions.
    Our coach has never said a bad word about Sockers. In fact he has said great things about them. He even emailed the tryout information to me because he thought we may be interested. He wanted my kid to know their options. We know our options. We understand the difference. You PM'd me a while back to tell me you were working with the Richardsons:

"fact I am working with them currently on a new location which is currently made up of 8 teams. You will probably here about this in Spring of 2016 or Fall 2017.

Sorry I cannot divulge anymore but we have all signed an NDA."

Instead of worrying about what other clubs are doing, focus on building your 8 teams and developing them to be what you think they should be. Instead of complaining, lead by example and show us how it is done. Do it don't talk about it.

mwulf67 repped this.
  2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #27 VolklP19, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Oh look who is back...

:eek:

Maybe you should PM me instead of taking a dump in the thread?

Here is some advice - take it or leave it...

Make sure I am talking about the club you are so offended about before you go off on a rant.

Again - the PM function does wonders.

But I'll stick to my guns - MRL is a money grabber.

P/C is great less for clubs who market it as a National Championship worthy of posting on billboards all over town. Fact is, it's a tourney for teams that cannot qualify for State Cup.

Enjoy your day.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Let me start over then...

Some larger clubs have a closer relationship to USSF then others - they always have. They at times can shift and change in a way that USSF sees fit in terms of what they believe development means. This is just not Sockers but a few clubs in the region as well - I am sure nationally as well.

What I am seeing is that smaller clubs - which are more agile and employee a quality staff, have started to emulate this.

That is one influence.

The secondary influence - which is a knock, is against clubs that see this but refuse to hire a good staff - or at the very least, put into play a philosophy that supports some sort of progression.

Instead the just continue doing the same thing. Rick Flores calls these clubs "Dinosaur Clubs" and is working hard to help the DOC's and staff of these clubs to understand the changes that they are making in order to preclude losing kids to clubs that are moving in the right direction are in fact digging the hole deeper.

So on one hand you have good clubs that recognize development and that travel is not necessary to play good teams - at least not travel to Dallas Cup for example. On the other you have other clubs that recognize it but just don't know how to change or simple do not want to change.

My point is, there are more kids (by me) who are not traveling further to larger clubs and abandoning local com clubs at a much younger age.

Locally some clubs adjust and emulate the hours on the ball, drills, game play and so on in order to keep players.

Influence from USSF downward as I see it.

But I'll be honest - I don't even know if you and I are on the same topic any longer :)

As far as adp - he's likely on board with the same thinking - as far as what I can read... Pointless travel is no good and will do nothing to ensure your kid(s) improve or love the game anymore.

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like you say, It is “a” national championship….and clubs have every right to promote it as such and be proud of the accomplishment…just as the Northwest Missouri State Football team promotes themselves, as they should, as National Champs…of course, of Division II….but nobody in Football circles has a problem or is confused one bit by Bearcat’s calling themselves national champs (actually 5 time national champs); nobody is confusing them with the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world …I really don’t get why you get so bent out shape over things like this….

State Cup and Presidents Cup run identical tournament formats…State, regional, national…at each step, its pool play, followed by playoffs for those that qualify…it the same setup and relationship as Championship league and Europa league share…including early knocked out State Cup teams moving down to President Cup play…yes, it is a 2nd tier tournament (which I think is generally understood), but it is still absolutely a worthy, and I would even say, marketable, accomplishment…

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    It's not about P/C really - it's about how some clubs decide to position that sort of tourney as a means to market.

You have MRL vs MDL, Super Y, etc... It's like boxing these days. The fans who understand the landscape know the language while the rest are just willing to pony up for pay per view because the chanel carrying the fight calls it a world championship.

But at the end of the day - buyer beware so it is what it is.

That said - I think we're changing the direction of the overall thread which was more of a simple question as to how coaches approach tourneys.

6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ok, sorry if this continues to veer us off topic, but under the circumstances, this seemed like the best/most fitting place to post it…

I just found out my club is asking my ‘03 son to play 8 games over 3 days this coming weekend tournament…1 game Friday, 4 games Saturday, and up to 3 games on Sunday…it’s a guaranteed 6, with a possibility of 8…basically, they are asking my son, and few others, to do double duty; play up on the U15 team and also play on their age appropriate U14 team…

Ok, even I see this as excessive and counterproductive ;)…not to mention concerning as hell…

aDifferentPerspectiv repped this.
  7. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    in some cases i would say it can be appropriate, i would say it depends on
    1) how long the games are
    2) his playing time in each game
    3) the weather

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It didn’t end up being too bad…

The weather was with us (mid 70s and clear skies)….

The coaches did monitor and adjust is playtime more than they normally do…he got a ~10 minute rest every half (35 minutes)…

And I think most importantly of all, the competition was a mixed bag…which as probably a good thing under the circumstances…the majority of the games didn’t offer much of a challenge…however, the last 3 games were very competitive, well-matched, back and forth battles…

Overall, I’d say it was a positive experience for him, but not one I’d like to repeat anytime soon…

ko242 repped this.
  9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I think my issue was brought up hear - with specifics not about Presidents Cup but in general, excess travel to fancy named tournaments to make the parents feel as though the club they are in can compete at the same levels of large clubs.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/us-soccer-youth-player-development-parents-understand

I think the smaller clubs are losing the plot here - trying to compete with the larger clubs by offering opprtunities to a small group of teams - mostly u13 and up with players who have found success from playing with each other for multiple years rather than developing. However they are failing to restructure training from the bottom up.