Coach not rotating positions at U11.

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ppierce34, Oct 3, 2018.

1. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What are your thoughts on positional rotation at the younger ages i.e. U9-U11? Our coach plays the same kids at the same positions every game, all game. Once in very blue moon if we are blowing a team out he may switch a couple girls around but thats really it. My daughter has been stuck at the 6 all season, every game. She doesnt love the position as she has always enjoyed attacking roles more. The only time she gets out of the 6 is if our coach has a conflict and another coach takes over. From everything i've ever read re: youth coaching this is absolutely the wrong approach. I understand if its a must win tournament but really what is a must win tournament at 10 years old?

2. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I originated a similar thread a while ago regarding this issue. I think the coach's approach is very wrong. are you guys playing in a very competitive league/division? I can understand it if he wants to avoid a blowout. But if he is doing this simply for getting the best outcome on the scoreboard, it is wrong plain and simple.

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  3. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We are a very strong team playing in about as competitive of a league as we can. We would most likely win no matter who played where. So that is the frustrating part. Look if its state cup, ok play the kids in their best spots. But other than that, no excuse in my opinion. Not to mention we get the "development over winning at the young ages" speech all the time which directly conflicts the actions taken on the field. Some of these girls will go on to play U12-U13 ECNL, DA, having never taken a corner, PK or free kick.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    smh
    this needs to be fixed from the club level. I guess you alone as a parent wont be able to push needles on this.

5. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah, that sucks. I dont know why a coach does this when he likely knows that the future coach when they start playing full-sided games is more than likely going to put them in set positions.

6. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Totally agree. It makes no sense. That's why futsal can be good. Everybody gets to score if played correctly.

If it's a good tea/coach/competition do your research before you move because no team/coach is perfect.

7. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We played 4 games this weekend down south and my kid played a ton of minutes all at the same position. Not a tournament just normal league games in which we slaughtered 3 out of the 4 teams. Everyone else changed positions, not my kid though. I was furious.

8. P.W.

P.W. Member

Sep 29, 2014
    If he's changing everyone but her, that's really frustrating. Time for a conversation with the coach (either you or your daughter). Make sure he knows that she'd like to try to play somewhere else. Surely there's room for compromise even with a coach who loves to win - start at 6, then move her around in second half when the game is already in hand.

9. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    The coach selects the squad and picks the starting line-up. End of. For those who disagree, feel free to give up your free time, devote your energy and money to gaining coaching qualifications, going out in hail/rain/or shine, and ultimately coach your own team.

If you can't sign-up for that type of commitment then pay-up and shut-up.

10. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whatever Mourinho…we are talking 10 year olds; a civil conversation over such a situation is hardly over the top…if the coach is rotating everyone else, it is likely not a big deal, and more an misunderstanding or oversight…

11. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hope you are just being sarcastic?
    I can give you a very credible scenario.
    imagine the USSF just announced to reverse the age group change made 2 years ago and now the aug-dec children can play down a year. almost all youth teams need to re-shuffle.
    imagine your have an august birth month child assigned to a year younger.
    he/she is likely the biggest kid on the team.
    imagine the coach asked him/her to step in goal as GK for the season.
    imagine he/she is the best chance the team got at the GK position, even though he/she enjoyed playing the right back a lot more.
    would you say the same thing above to your child to justify the coach's decision?

12. Simplegirl85

Simplegirl85 New Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Well, I know how frustrating that can be as it happened to my kid from U10-U12, but if your daughter is playing the #6 the coach probably figures she's a kid that can play anywhere. Doesn't help her if she wants to be in more of an attacking role, but that is a spot that our coaches always put one of the strongest players at. When I asked a coach about always playing my kid in the same spot, his answer was that they don't teach "positions" at that age, that they should be able to play anywhere and it's more a matter of keeping a general shape. I understand the logic, but I also think that at some point you stick a kid in the same spot over and over and psychologically they will feel a discomfort level if they are ever moved somewhere else. I will say that we have a different coaching staff at our club from U13 and up and they move kids around quite a bit more if the game is not close. Have you talked with any parents at U13/14 and asked what their experience has been? It could be that is the club's "system" for U12 and under and once they get on the 11v11 field, they will get more exposure to the actual positions as opposed to just being "positioned" on the field.

13. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unfortunately, in U-littles, the backline is where the “stronger” players often go to become weaker (or just average) players…the in-the-moment logic may be sound and well-intended, but the long-term outcome often shortchanges these players…

The rule of thumb, that I am seeing and believing more and more, is that players move back, not up [the field]…so if in U-little, you are pigeonholed into goalie or the backline, you very well may limit your options/flexibility in the long run…

14. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Sorry, I can't imagine any of that.

Where I come from children don't play as goalkeepers unless they wish to play as a goalkeeper. I also believe in player development over winning games, so unless the child is being mistreated in some way, then allow the qualified coach to coach and develop his team. Nothing worse than interfering parents.

15. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    So by your logic, because the children are ten years old it's ok to disrupt a coaches season plan, because a parent isn't happy where their child is being played? I'm glad I don't coach your child.

I, and many other coaches, play players younger than 10 in a certain position for a period of the season to develop certain attributes in their game. Maybe the coach can see potential in a part of the child's game that the child or their parent cannot see, and wants to develop it further. Instead of griping, speak to your coach if you have an ongoing concern.

The biggest problem in American youth football is overbearing parents. You only need to read this forum for 5 minutes to see that.

16. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I am finding it hard to understand why people are hung up on kids being rotated. Every player is passing, defending and attacking during a game. Every position has a chance to score. Even CBs on corners. Your child will be playing other positions in the schoolyard and on their futsal team.

WTF!

sam_gordon repped this.
  17. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #17 mwulf67, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Disrupt a U10 coaches season plan? Are you F-ing kidding me…only plan a U10 coach should have it to make sure their kids are having fun and learning good techniques and skills…

Besides, nobody said anything about disputing anything…

Not as much as I am…

And FAR MORE do it because they don’t know any better, or for no reason at all, or because they are lazy, or…drum roll please, they simply do it to win…

It’s hard to tell from the sidelines which it is….

Wait, what? Isn’t that all that we suggested…have a talk with the coach? Why did you just post all the crap above is basically you agree having a conversation with the coach is right thing to do? Are you just trolling to pick a fight with us overbearing parents?

The second biggest problem is arrogant, overbearing, shyster “coaches” who take advantage of parents who don’t know any better….

18. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You just said "totally agree. makes no sense." in a previous post. which is it?

19. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The goal of U-littles, even the first few years of 11x11, should be to create well rounded soccer players…not Stikers or CBs or Goalies…and you can’t be well rounded without being moved around the field…its far more than just a chance to score….

20. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Overbearing parents are those that continually harass the coach. I'm venting on a message board designed for just that. I have no intention on approaching the coach about this as my daughter is playing, playing well and thriving. Just wanted to get people's opinions.

Another problem with American youth football are people who perceive all parents who care about their kids to be overbearing. A few terrible parents have ruined it for all. Coaches are standoff-ish and think that all parents just want to bend their ear about playing time. Therefore they avoid all parent interactions and put themselves on this pedestal that they cannot be bothered.

I pay a lot of money and spend a lot of time on this. Coaches, DOC's etc expect parents just to be Taxi drivers for their kids and just shut up. Doesn't work for me.

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  21. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    I can't make much sense of what you're trying to say, or what your point is, but I hope you don't use that kind of language on the sidelines.

22. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    I'd agree that many coaches can be stand-off-ish, but I think it's purely a defense mechanism against interfering parents. I have a good relationship with the parents of the age group I coach at my club. Any parents that interfere too much are invited to come down and take a session. Only one ever has and he played professionally, most stop interfering in their child's sport for a while once their asked.

23. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not too bright are you? Are are you just not use to having to explain yourself to anyone older then 10?

24. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Personally, I find it a far more valuable attribute to be able to express oneself clearly to a ten year old than to an adult. Especially an adult with a horse's rear end for a profile picture. Says it all really.

25. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There is a world difference between ignorant, overbearing, interfering parents and knowable parents with legitimate questions/concerns…the fact that you assume ppierce34, me, and basically all of us, are the former, says more about you, then us…

And I think if you spent longer the 5 minutes making up your mind about this forum, I think you would discover most of us don’t like those ignorant, overbearing, interfering parents very much either, and are very much concerned not to act or be perceived as one…