Coach Jorge???

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by AlwaysAthletica, Dec 5, 2010.

1. AlwaysAthletica

May 28, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did coach Jorge wind up at? I looked online for him a few times, but I know most of you are more versed than I am. I had hopes he would show up in Atlanta when Gareth O'Sullivan was released...seemed natural considering it was an Atlantica team anyway.

Also thought he'd surface with CSR since they went w/out a coach for a couple weeks...

2. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    He's the new coach for the Brazilian U-20 women's team.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised he didn't go back to coach the Brazilian women's team. They couldn't possibly have a better coach!

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me say this about Jorge...I don't think I''ve ever met anyone who loved the game more than he does. And he loves everything about it, the game, the players, the tactics, the fans, the atmosphere...everything.

Except, of course, for all the crap that went on the last days before the team folded. I thought in talking with him after the final game against Sky Blue that he seemed tired and a little worn out, he wasn't his usual excited self. Maybe he had some inklings of what was going on....I don't really know.

He's just a great guy. Still two of my favorite memories was after Athletica won their first game against Gold Pride in 2009 and when they made the playoffs. Jorge went around and hugged literally everyone, every fan that hung around after the game got a big hug from Jorge, he was so very happy. I hope that whatever he does, things go well for him...but please, no more 4-0 wins over the USA like in 2007.

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jorge was even interviewed on Channel 5 (I think) through a translator and Hope talked about the challenges of having a coach who doesn't speak English but in the end it all works out and he's a great coach.

I was just thinking about how in the summer in 2009 they had TWO games on Channel 11 including a half hour pre-game show! The pre-game show was done very well too.

Rich Gould even said he had a blast doing it and he'd like to do it again!

It's just so hard to believe things went down so fast. It's VERY clear that management neglected the Athletica once the men's team came here.

I don't think any of us really thought the team would fold in the middle of the year. I mean a league/team should have enough financial competence to have funds necessary just to cover the current season for cryin out loud!

I knew the team could be gone AFTER the season was over but I never thought they'd disappear right after a game!

6. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second time I made a trip up to St Louis to catch a couple of games at the end of the 2009 season, I was lucky enough to be able to go watch one of the practices.

I sat back not intending to bother any of the players or the coaching staff. Just wanted to watch the practice. There was also a dad with his daughter and her friend there doing the same. The girls were about 5 or 6 years old.

As mentioned above, it was clear that Jorge loved everything about the game. He took pride and joy from coaching the team.

At the end of practice, Jorge called the two girls down onto the field to pass the ball with them. One of the girls had clearly just begun playing and he gave her a lesson in how to pass the ball correctly. After 5 minutes, she was making passes significantly better. He continued to kick around with those girls for at least 15 minutes more after that.

It's those cool moments that you would rarely see in any other sport in the world that make me love this game so damn much at all it's levels.