C'mon ride the (high speed) train, hey, ride it, woo woo!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Michael K., Jan 28, 2010.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought we voted in favor of one of those in California some time ago. Whatever happened to that?

3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40mph << 200mph

But yeah, I guess it's a start...

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I thought that's what Obama was doing with Florida this morning? Launching an 8B high speed rail line?

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The vote in California was to provide state funding (via bonds) to start paying for the line -- this is federal funding which will be in addition to the state funding. The overall plan is something like $30-40 billion -- the state bonds so far are ~$10 billion, and now there is an additional $2.25 billion from the feds -- we still have a ways to go in paying for this thing.

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voting for it and getting way ahead of the curve in terms of planning for it meant you Californians get the lions' share of the federal HSR money, as far as I can tell. As opposed to say, our slothlike New England governors, who came up with their plan about 20 minutes ago.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You don't need high speed rail. You can all just hitch a ride in the back of Scott Brown's truck. :D

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cool!

It's about time we get something.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who gets some, in graphical form.

[​IMG]

Solid red lines are what you're looking for.

1 person likes this.
  10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Can someone explain the difference between the solid red and dotted lines?

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    If I'm reading it right, the dotted lines indicated money that will be spent on foundational work necessary to convert to high speed later but will not become high speed lines as a result of this expenditure.

12. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
  13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Why hasn't the free market built you a modern transportation system :confused:

14. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    We have a modern transportation system.

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Probably just improvements to the regular passenger line - for example, I don't think there ever will be a high-speed train to San Luis Obispo in California.

But some of these I don't get. Madison, WI only has a half-million people (unless they are very serious about eventually connecting to Minneapollis, which actually does have a great deal of air traffic with Chicago).

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's not a free market - air and ground travel are heavily subsidized, much more than rail. Of course the railroad companies got their land mostly for free, but that was in the 19th century.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was being sarcastic

18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's choking.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every facet of coordinated public transportation is subsidized somehow, everywhere around the globe. (Or paid for via donations from wealthy barons, etc).

In US developmental history, automobile interests co-opted to hasten the fall of the inner-city rail services, and as the nation grew larger in both population and urbanizing geography, it did so with more and more people and development patterns evolving around the car as opposed to mass transit. The US, as a continental nation, simply matured at a time when there wasn't a dynamic need to build transit oriented development. Alas, given the costs and permanence of land development it will now cost the nation tons to recover that level of efficiency, if ever.

Edit: Just saw your post above. My meter must be off...

- - -

What gets me is the Tampa-Orlando run. I mean, they're telling me THAT 84 miles is crucial to the national rail network? No offense, but even in late revisions of the 90's Florida Overland Xpress project that was the last priority for Floridians. At least anything along the Miami-Orlando-Jacksonville corridor would've also contributed to the grand Eastern Seaboard concept. :rolleyes:

CHI-STL Hey, who didn't see this one coming? :D Seriously, though, worth it IMO.

Heard LA-LV wasn't directly sponsored due to costs, but was still expecting something to go that way.

Glad to see Raleigh-Charlotte getting some attention, and hoping that means Atlanta's improved accessibility is not too far behind. Takes the train overnight to get from there to DC right now; I can drive it 2 hours faster. :mad:

Hopefully at some time of plenty in the not too distant future they'll be able to cough up the $50B it will need to make this stuff a reality, then the urban forms and efficiencies for the US will really take off.

20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the free market takes its time to react to needs that involve heavy capital investment, like large infrastructure projects. the free market would take care of it eventually, but it would be a slow, painful transition.

21. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    The free market will only provide it when 1) The railroads are given fair and equitable grounds to compete with the currently subsidized roads and air travel, and 2) When it makes financial sense.

There are only a handful of lines in the entire world where it makes financial sense.

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, an underlying assumption of the free market is that neither side is subsidized.

1 person likes this.
  23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe that is why it's called public transportation.

24. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never been to Atlanta myself, but if it's going to become the southeastern hub it was and should be, one that ties together NY/the mid-Atlantic, FL, New Orleans and Chicago, they'll have to do something about a proper terminal, no? Not to say that an edifice along the lines of #3 on this list would ever be erected again, but as I understand it, the current station is a ways out there relative to the city center and nothing much to talk about.

25. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was because it is meant to transport the public ;)