News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Sure, Conmebol can always move the final match to Barcelona, after local thugs throw tantrums for not getting paid.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Alternatively, we can give it to Morocco in 2025. :D

They finally get to have their "major" FIFA tournament and it's close for traveling European fans.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the confederation that hosts the WC gets to host the CWC before since it will be in the same year as the Confederations Cup was? When Brazil hosted the WC, most stadiums were in eastern Brazil, and they weren't close to Colombia or Venezuela. If CONMEBOL got to host the CWC first, it could have been shared by Bogota and Medellin. I'm not saying those are good stadiums or areas. I'm just providing a geographic example. If England or Spain hosted a WC, the CWC could be in eastern Europe like Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Turkey. If Morocco or anywhere else in northern African hosted a WC, the CWC could be in southern Africa like South Africa, Angola, DR Congo, or Zambia.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The Confederations Cup served as a host "testing" function. The expanded CWC will no longer serve that purpose. Therefore I would prefer to see it in a confederation other than the one hosting the World Cup to spread the game as much as possible.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    China has been awarded the 2023 Asian Cup:
    http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...-football-step-hosting-rights-asian-cup-2023/

Interesting quote:
    Hmmm....

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which: with no WC expansion this time, the playoffs won't serve that purpose either. In that light, giving Qatar the December CWCs makes sense.

Sorry, my throat got super-dry all of a sudden :D

7. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    傲游截图20190605101057.jpg 傲游截图20190605170735.jpg 傲游截图20190605170807.jpg

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar will host the club world cup now... well I know at least one BigSoccer poster that is happy!

Nico Limmat and Paul Calixte repped this.
  9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Infantino returns to Club World Cup plan saying the Europeans will be in 24-team mix:
    http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...d-cup-plan-saying-europeans-will-24-team-mix/

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Infantino eyes '$50 billion' windfall for new Club World Cup:
    https://www.france24.com/en/20190605-infantino-eyes-50-billion-windfall-new-club-world-cup

11. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    For those interested, South Korea withdrew in mid-May of this year, and India withdrew last October, so it was effectively by default, although China likely would have been favored, anyway, especially considering their future WC hosting ambitions.

Going on a bit of a tangent now, I hope India puts in a serious bid for the next Asian Cup now that we've gotten the obligatory China one out of the way. Or even a bid for a Women's WC for that matter. We need some serious tournament hosting experience under our belts.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China just hosted the Asian Cup in 2004.... would like to have seen it go to somewhere new

13. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad the CWC is expanding. Still not crazy about it being just every 4 years, but fixture congestion is a danger to every cool idea. Maybe a smaller "FIFA Champions League" could be run in the off years, with maybe just 12 teams (this current 7 is awkward for me)?

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What's awkward about the current 7 team format?

15. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I know how he feels. While I did watch the final of the Nations League, I skipped the finals of the Women's WC, Copa America and Gold Cup. Lets see if I watch the AFCON final.

NL is not really 'more soccer' since it just replaces friendlies, but biannual Copa Americas, AFCONs and Gold Cups need to disappear.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has 4 rounds, with the host and OFC playing in the First Round. 3 teams start in the Second Round, and the UEFA and CONMEBOL champions start in the Semifinals. I'm not saying FIFA should do this, but the simplest 7 team format is 1 bye to the Semifinals and 6 teams starting in the same round. Teams not from UEFA or CONMEBOL want to get lucky and get drawn in the CONMEBOL half of the bracket to have a chance at reaching the Final.

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I guess I think the current format is OK. The teams that want to play the most matches- OFC and the host - can. And one of the ones that wants to play the least - UEFA - does.

BocaFan repped this.
  19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  20. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate 24 team formats, its messy and everyone knows it's always a stopgap.

BocaFan, Paul Calixte and AlbertCamus repped this.
  21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold up, now: I'd be very interested to know if this would apply to the non-champion qualifiers (4 from UEFA and 2 from CONMEBOL according to the rumored 8-6-3-3-3-1 distribution of berths) or all qualifiers. If the latter, that would be punishing a country for its clubs' superiority...although it might be the only way to guarantee an MLS team making the tournament :cautious:

EvanJ and IASocFan repped this.
  22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good point.

Yeah, seems the only good reason to expand it is money.

IASocFan and AlbertCamus repped this.
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With eight clubs from UEFA, would they be the Champions League Quarterfinalists with spots handed down if countries had more than two Quarterfinalists? I wouldn't want to choose one or two of the Champions League Round of 16 losers. Using 2018-2019, the Manchester clubs would have been excluded as Quarterfinalists that didn't go as far as Liverpool and Tottenham. Giving two spots to the Europa League, Chelsea and Arsenal would be excluded, and the Semifinal losers Valencia and Eintracht Frankfurt would have qualified. I don't think people want those two clubs to be among eight representing UEFA. PSG, both Madrid clubs, Bayern Munich, and Borussia Dortmund would be among the clubs that missed out.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The link in question mentions the UEFA club ranking to fill the slots for the non-champions. I can only assume the rumored "two per association" rule only applies to non-champions. Had the expanded CWC been played this summer it would have looked like this for UEFA:

1. Real Madrid (Spain) - Winner 2016/2017/2018
    2. Liverpool (England) - Winner 2019
    3. Barcelona (Spain) - Winner 2015
    4. Bayern Munich (Germany) - 3rd in Club Ranking
    5. Juventus (Italy) - 5th in Club Ranking
    6. Manchester City (England) - 6th in Club Ranking
    7. Paris St. Germain (France) - 8th in Club Ranking
    8. FC Porto (Portugal) - 10th in Club Ranking

Atletico Madrid (4), Sevilla (7) and Arsenal (9) would have missed out due to the alleged two team rule.

25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the qualifiers only from the previous four CLs? In your example, Barça's 2015 UCL triumph would've qualified them for that year's CWC. They still would've made it to 2019 through the club ranking, I imagine...