News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some of you guys are overreacting: it’ll happen every four years, not every single time there is a brief break. The players aren’t going to die from playing a couple extra matches each decade, if that.

Plus, It’s not like the top clubs (who will be the ones participting) don’t already play exhibition tournaments during pre-season. This is much better than an international friendly cup that is truly irrelevant, and once this new CWC begins developing history and iconic match-ups (i.e. a Barcelona-Real final, memorable comebacks, “WC moments”, etc.) it’ll increasingly become more recognized as an important tournament.

No matter FIFAs decision, you guys wouldn’t have been happy. The current CWC title is much worse imo, and lets not even get started with the pointless Confederations Cup. This is definitely a step forward.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #827 BocaFan, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Fair point, and I am also not losing any sleep over this. But from the other angle its the ONLY summer every 4 years that many players (those that play for big European clubs) get completely off.

Also, while it might be a once-in-a-lifetime event for most players...again... for the top players in the world the tournament is every 4 years. Adding 5 weeks to the club season is not insignificant, even if only once every four years.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It appeared that FIFA replaced the Confederation Cup with this tournament. Traditionally, the Conf Cup was used as a dress rehearsal for the WC Finals. Seriously, Germany needed it. South Africa needed it. Brazil needed it. Russia needed it. Of course, Qatar needed it. FIFA never said anything about the host of the Club World Cup.

If Qatar or the US/Canada/Mexico do not host it in the future, they still need to organise a tournament similar to the Confederation cup right before the WC Finals. Okay, if Qatar is hosting this Club World Cup, can they host a 24 team tournament the year before the WC Finals? It is easier for the WC hosts to host a 8 team tournament.

What am I saying? Let;s say the FIFA awards the 2021 Club World Cup to Spain or China. Qatar is still going to host another invitation tournament that summer. Ideally, the tournament involved Qatar and other top national teams. Now, they might have to complete for players for the Club World Cup on the summer before the WC Finals. So why cancel the Confederation Cup?

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dress rehearsal value overrated IMO. Things work out. It's not rocket science. The Olympics have no dress rehearsal.

HomietheClown repped this.
  5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If not the Confederation Cup, it is going to happen even it is not needed. Have you heard of the USA Cups? Have you heard of the 1997 Tournoi de France where Roberto Carlos scored that goal? We will have two tournaments in 2021.

Remember the floor fell off in one of the German stadiums during the 2005 Confederation Cup? That is Germany, the most efficient country in the world. Since you are Brazilian, Rio 2016 got a dress rehearsal and it was called the 2014 WC Finals! :)

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Floor falling in German stadium ? Or was it the roof leaking ? Either way, those are engineering failures that shouldn't happen regardless. You could argue in terms of security / organization / transportation ... but I think it's overrated. FIFA never meant that as the primary objective. Like with everything, they wanted to make some more money. It's so overrated that they are canning it.

7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Its not feasible to play the Confederations Cup in Qatar in the European season break in the middle of 2021 for the same reason the World Cup was moved.

r0adrunner and Excape Goat repped this.
  8. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    why is everybody hating on the Confederations cup.

I have enjoyed that tournament for a long time.

This CWC by all accounts is even more pointless. Why would teams who have just participated in the Champions League give a damn about a watered down club competition. It makes no sense what so ever.

Its literally like playing a Confederations Cup, weeks after a World Cup.

Pointless doesn't even do justice to this tournament.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #834 celito, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Not really hating on it. But as a dressed rehearsal I thought it was unnecessary. I enjoyed them except for the last one. Portugal, Chile, and then Germany B team made it uninteresting.

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Get ready for a CWC with Barca B, Madrid B, Juve reserves, etc. (Same 8 UEFA teams every 4 years)

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    One would think that players have a competitive streak in them.

Yes, Some star players will sit or take off just as they do the ICC summer friendlies in the USA (and Asia) but some stars do go out there and give their all. And those are just friendlies!

For something like this I would think there would be a little more incentive for some star players to play. It could also be a good time for new summer signings to get in some good competitive matches and form a chemistry with some of their new teammates.

locoxriver repped this.
  12. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca gonna go deep on it, does not matter which Real Madrid is, A or B, we just wanna defeat it again in a meaning full tournament and make a party in your face, again.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do World Cups in cricket, basketball, rugby, handball, or any other sport have dress rehearsals? If not, why does soccer need one? It's possible for a dress rehearsal to identify a problem that would have happened during a World Cup, but it's also possible for a World Cup to have a problem that a dress rehearsal won't detect, especially considering how many teams and games the World Cup has compared to the Confederations Cup.

r0adrunner repped this.
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #839 Nico Limmat, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    I see the expanded CWC very skeptically, but am shedding absolutely no tears over the Confederations Cup. The dress rehearsal reasoning was just a FIFA excuse to hold it. That said, the Confederations Cup demise puts pressure on CONCACAF and the OFC. Let's call it the reverse-carrot effect. Their nations cups in particular depended heavily on the promise of "something greater". The US, Mexico and New Zealand may no longer treat their respective continental duties with the exact same level of priority. I don't see the same impact in CAF and the AFC.

Of course now is the time to put an end to biennial nations cups after 2024 when the next segment of the international calendar is agreed. I really hope FIFA puts pressure on CAF and CONCACAF. The odd year after the World Cup must now become the year of rest for the players without any major tournaments.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good luck with that one. Especially since Infantino loves to patronize those Confederations that want to make money.

16. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here, here! Very sound reasoning and hopefully they heed your message.

When will the calendar beyond 2024 be agreed?

17. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unfortunately CAF has already awarded the 2025 CAN to Guinea, two years after it will be held in Ivory Coast.

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FIFA doesn't owe anybody anything, least of all a motion that puts them in more control over the game with a league concept that would essentially kill the World Cup as we know it. Seriously - What would be the point of that tournament if there is already a global nation's league?

A global nation's league will merely be a way for FIFA to capitalize financially on the bigger matches while feigning interest and support of smaller nations. Anyone thinking FIFA's interests will benefit smaller nations is delusional.

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all well and good if you're in UEFA or CONMEBOL. For the rest of us, how are we supposed to get competitive experience against the world's best outside of World Cup finals? I mean Concacaf has a shot at cheating the system by collaborating with Conmebol (once we get over our current d--- measuring contest), but even so...

The UEFA Nations League has been an unqualified success - without killing anyone's appetite for the Euro (unless @Nico Limmat has renounced that tournament, in which case I stand corrected :D ). A Global Nations League would be a completely different tournament, with only an 8-team final round played over three games, compared to the WC finals.

And I have to take particular umbrage with the bold: you've heard of the theory based on World Cup winners neighboring each other (i.e. they've improved through competing with each other), right? So what about those that don't have that luxury? Until the GNL comes into existence, FIFA's basically telling the likes of Mexico, Nigeria and Japan, "We don't give a damn whether you improve or not. You want more games against the elite, you'll have to go beg for them."

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It’s not like anyone took that cup seriously.. and then there’s the case of Germany, who sent a completely alternative squad. It’ll honestly be no different if you schedule friendlies against the “world’s best” than if you play them in a confederations cup. Hell, you might even be able to get them to field a better lineup in a friendly match because of “contractual reasons”

The loss of “competitive experience” is simply a poor excuse. Besides, only one team from each confederation participated every four years, so how exactly are entire confederations being disserviced by the cup’s abolishment?

r0adrunner repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was fine with the competition ... but like I said, I never thought the "dressed rehearsal" thing was all that necessary.

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one equated it with the WC finals and no coach had his job on the line over it, to be sure...but based on lineups and performance, teams definitely took it seriously. Chile and Portugal took their best squads (the latter including CR7) last time; Spain took their best team in 2009 and 2013; and Brazil took their best squad on each occasion since it went to a quadrennial tournament. Germany are the exception, not the rule: and that 2017 squad ended up being arguably better than the A-team that crashed and burned the following year :cautious:

Because 1 > 0.

I didn't pick Mexico, Nigeria and Japan at random; all three have been to the Confed Cup on multiple occasions, gaining competitive experience against the likes of Brazil and Italy that they would not have had otherwise.

Every Four Years repped this.
  23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We sacked our coach in 2005 after poor confederation Cup performances. Admittedly he was probably already going to be sacked for a higher profile person but it was the excuse used.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I've yet to see a big outcry of support for the Confed Cup. It was a farce. Even FIFA have been deriding their own tournament. Good riddance.

locoxriver repped this.