News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They may come b back to that at a later meeting.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ironically it does reduce int'l competition though, because we lose a proper, annual club WC and get a revamped Int'l Champions Cup summer tournament that is only once every 4 years.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It a horrible proposal. Clubs have annual seasons. International soccer is about every 4 or 2 years competitions. The old format was for the CWC was fine, they should have just committed to moving it around to a greater variety of hosts.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They don't see it as being fine. There is little to no interest in the tournament outside of some fanatics in this forum.

Also it comes down to what it usually comes down to. They can profit off the expansion with the investors idea and make it so that the successful Euro Club teams just have to travel once every four years to a neutral site. A neutral site that they probably would have considered traveling to for the ICC for pre-season anyway during the off season.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also, a once every four years tournament has 3 years to be promoted by Television Networks and Sponsors. Fans can have years in advance to make reservations and accommodations for travel. It can be hyped up as a grand spectacle instead of the annual is it going to be in Japan or Morocco sort of boringness we have today.

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So South America and Mexico don't exist? :rolleyes:

What you actually mean (and what Infantino's getting at as well) is that as far as FIFA's coffers are concerned, the CWC doesn't matter until Europeans decide it matters.

Big difference between off season money-spinners when they can half-ass it (or just throw out the scrubs in the second half) and competitive matches for a world title in the middle of preseason - the sort of thing that triggers MLS fans when mocked for their dismal CCL performances.

unclesox repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know many South Americans who care about the Club Worlld Cup unless their team is in it or a player from their country is on a roster of a team that is in it.

I assume the same for many Mexicans.

But the main point is it is not fine and there is potential for growth when it comes to interest and money.

r0adrunner repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong and wrong - at least with respect to avid football fans from there.

There is potential for growth, but at the expense of UEFA's stranglehold on profitable club soccer (i.e. the Champions League) that they're loathe to unclench.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #784 HomietheClown, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    You are going to have to prove to me that the Club World Cup is a major thing for South American and Mexican Neutrals waking up in the middle of the night to watch other teams against some unfamiliar Asian or African team. I do not buy it.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    IT is a once every four years thing. I am sure they like that idea.

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Improvements could be made but the format is fine because it is realistic enough that the UEFA representative plays more or less it's best players and the one-off game nature to it gives other teams a shot. I'd like to see the locations moved around, and the tournament promoted better.

I'd have thought guys here who are more into international soccer would object on the grounds that this will interfere with summer international country competitions like the Copa's or the Gold Cups that seem to happen pretty much every non-World Cup summer.

Also I am concerned about the overuse of players, this is yet another break that players will not have off.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I love international Cups but interfering with a second Gold Cup and maybe African Cup is not that much of a big deal.

It is not an overuse if those players were going to be in the ICC that summer anyway. Of course in the ICC it is more of a friendly with a vacation type of attitude but I think the way the seeds will be spread out Many Clubs can get away with playing subs and still advance to the knockout stages.

13. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've heard Ceferin and co. talk, right? They'd rather it be once every never. That is, they barely tolerate the CWC as is, and want no part of expansion.

For one, it's not always in the middle of the night.

Two, all the proof you need about Mexicans and South Americans caring about the tournament was to have been on Twitter during Chivas' and River Plate's respective faceplants last year.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    One every four years is better than every year though.

What people say or do on social media [probably watching highlights on twitter and making fun of rivals does not prove to me that they are enthusiastically watching the tournament as an event.
    Just that people love to throw insults when other teams lose.

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate-watching is still watching, and at the very least it's a category that you missed with the below:

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So hate -watching rivals most probably in highlight form should be added to the list.
    Hooray current format.

17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    But it was once every year for only one UEFA team. Now it has 8 UEFA teams.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Either way, it doesn't matter. That is not a parameter that is going to change just because you expand the tournament. A Flamengo fan who has no interest in watching Gremio in the 7-team CWC isn't suddenly going to start caring if Gremio is part of a 24-team tournament. And vice versa.

One thing that is different is that the ROW will be less represented, proportionally. So I'm having a difficult time imagining how their interest level in the CWC is supposed to increase(?). Especially since a lot of momentum will be lost by the time the CWC actually happens. Its not like this year where River beat Boca with everyone in Argentina watching, and then went straight to the CWC. You might have 2, 3 or even 4 years pass and the team that takes the field in the CWC will be totally different.

As for fans in UEFA, in theory, with 50% of the field their interest should increase. But in reality, that is a big unknown. The disproportionate allocation just reeks of desperation.

Nico Limmat repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There can be more people watching a tournament that is hyped up in the summer when nothing else is going on.
    Especially compared to the winter when so many other options are there for a futbol fan.

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely forgot to mention that this is also a red herring for Europe: the current edition has the UEFA CL winners playing every year, but only two games against inferior opponents (I'd say "presumably", but let's face it: UEFA's rep hasn't lost in the CWC since 2012).

That is, Real Madrid (with an unprecedented run of European dominance in the CWC era) played 6 CWC games in 3 years: 1 vs. a South American rival, 1 Mexican, 2 Gulf opponents and 2 showdowns with Kashima. They would now trade that for 2 group stage matches of that caliber and up to 3 against Champions League-level opposition. Certainly easy to understand why Infantino has wet dreams about this trade-off, but why would European clubs or UEFA play along (assuming that they're even the slightest bit sincere with their concerns of player fatigue)? If anything, were this to be forced through, we'd be one step closer to the superclubs giving the rest of world football the middle finger and creating their own league.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They can negotiate something with big money being tossed around. We shall se how the vote goes down in Miami.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess you're referring to fans in Europe? I mean, maybe winter to summer switch will be a factor, but that factor doesn’t seem like a game changer to me. Especially since the current timing if the CWC isn’t at a particularly busy time in the int’l football calendar either.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    All around the world there is less Football to watch in the summer generally during the time period.

24. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    This competition has a chance for success, but it has serious flaws as well. Anything is possible and only one thing is certain .... $$$ for FIFA!

unclesox repped this.
  25. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Sounds like the earlier report, postponing the decision until June, is still the objective in Miami.
    http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...ked-loaded-battle-infantinos-calendar-revamp/

Read that Dortmund are looking forward to a 24 team CWC with 12 UEFA teams though.

Also, about the start date: