Club Tijuana Xolos v Atlante - Dec 28th @ SW College

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by athletics68, Nov 30, 2011.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. XolosUS

XolosUS New Member

Oct 19, 2010

Good Spot Dan :). We aren't officially on sale yet. Few legal ends to be tied up. These deals are never completely done until all the legal details are tied up. We typically put all our stuff in play before so we can flip the switch when we are ready. One sale I suspect will be next wednesday.

There will be multiple retail venues on the US side, as well as the online sales. But not quite yet.

4. The Urban Legend

The Urban Legend New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    says "Tickets are no longer available to this event." so game is sold out???

5. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Checked out the link, looks like the Flash will be playing the Xolos U-20 before the first team plays Atlante. Double-header. =)

6. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Any updates?

7. The Urban Legend

The Urban Legend New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    game got moved to TJ so will be played tomorrow at 7 or 8 pm at Estadio Caliente. Trying to get tickets right now seems like they sold out right after they went on sale

8. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looks like Xolos beat Atlante 1-0, and the Flash tied the U-20's 1-1.

Article I read said it was a full house at Estadio Caliente.

So if attendance was the reason they moved the game to TJ, sounds like they accomplished their goal.

9. XolosUS

XolosUS New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Our goal was to have the game in the US. Southwestern worked really hard to put something together that worked, but time issues became a killer. Additionally, escalating costs for game production, including, but not limited to, Policing costs and campus modifications to accommodate an approximately 10,000 person crowd coupled with East H Roadworks just pushed the game over the tipping point of making sense to do the game in the US.

Part of the benefit of doing the game when the school is not is that you don't interfere with the primary business of the school. The problem is that people are on vacation. As I said, Southwestern worked hard to try and make this work, it just reached a point that it didn't make sense financially in such a small window.

Attendance last night was every seat full (17,200) plus probably 3-4 people deep in the standing room only sections (which is about 1,000 people per person deep) - So about 21,000.

Flash tied 1-1 against the U-20s in front of about 9,000 people by the time the game finished.

10. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah I imagine it is infinitely easier to put on an event at home as opposed to in a different country (close as they may be).

While it would have been cool to have the game up here, it sounds like it was a success nonetheless.

What percentage of your support do you guys estimate comes from the US (i.e., how many of those 21,000 the other night came across the border for the game)? It seems like I'm seeing more and more Xolos stickers on cars around SD, and I know quite a few friends who regularly go down for games.

11. XolosUS

XolosUS New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I'm based in the US, when I crossed after the game the line was almost exclusively Xolos fans. My best guess is 10-15%. That being said, if we had another 10,000 seats in the stadium (which is the plan within the next 12 months) how many of those would be US based? I would guess 50%.