Club Business Thread ** I miei Celtics **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Roma next summer:

1117118153782452224 is not a valid tweet id

2. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Tweet was removed, what was it

3. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    1117551663089377280 is not a valid tweet id

4. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    1122438465206005760 is not a valid tweet id

Java65 repped this.
  5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well... he's in charge of PSG. Not sure changing the European Capital club he owns is going to change his CL fortunes.

6. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the kind of stuff that should terrify us about the Qatar rumors, especially this close to their world cup. A very small window of exposure before they take their ball and go home.

shiboboo repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I'm not all excited about Qatar buying us (if true). If they bail on PSG that club is going to be in serious trouble.

Also, they've shown no ability, unlike UAE, to actually run a club.

shiboboo and Hustle and Flow repped this.
  8. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Bingo. Can't like this enough.

No way in hell do I want Roma to become the knock-off version of the Galácticos. City takes a huge dump on PSG in terms of football operations.

9. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #5434 GamE_Ove12, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    You have to factor in that City play in a league that is superior to where PSG play in literally every department. City received close from 200 mil from TV money alone last year (excluding CL money), that is almost 4 times more than what PSG got. EPL at the moment is appealing to every superstar coach/player, while it takes a fortune of stratospherical proportion to convince a superstar to play in the shadows of the french league. Qatar use their investment in sport to gain a backdoor access to politicians and decision makers. It is the very same reason they want to invest in Roma. Even if they take their ball and go home, which is unlikely, the club will at worst case scenario be in the same shape when bought.

It has been demonstrated time and time again that investment in football in the current model is futile. Pallotta and his likes are deluded if they think it is possible to gain profit from a football club. Those who invest in football are either laundering money or are using it to gain exposure and connections.

Berlusconi timed his star signings according to the Italian election cycles. When he didn't have much use of Milan any more, Milan returned to where they were before he bought them in the 80's, maybe even better.

Vulpinous and Shen-O repped this.
  10. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I still believe MC and PSG cheated but at least MC did it well. They are an excellently run club

11. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    This is irrelevant. Until very recently, the TV revenue made no difference in PSG's ability to spend. They had UEFA officials in their back pocket, and probably still do. Only after the Der Spiegel leaks did UEFA really attempt to clamp down on their shady forms of revenue , and it looks like nothing really came of it. They were just told to slow down on the spending, essentially.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would argue playing in a more competitive league isn't beneficial, but it doesn't change the fact PSG are run poorly in comparison. Look no further than the petulant child Neymar and all the affordances and special treatment he gets. There's something rotten at the core of that club, and I think it starts and ends with the ownership.

I could go on (another) huge rant about PSG, but in terms of running a club, they're miles away from City in every facet. And no, it's not just because they're in Ligue 1. It's because their ownership isn't as good, simple as.

12. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Don't know how people can say UAE operates their club so much more successfully than Quatar. PSG have more off field problems but on the field they are the same, steamroller their domestic league and useless bottlers in Europe. Start of every season they are both the most overrated teams in the world until people see how shit they are when it matters in the CL.

Says it all that Roma has similar or better results in the CL in recent years than them.

13. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't claim PSG are perfect but there are limits to the potential of a club in the French league no matter how much money you pour into it. It is unfair in my opinion to compare them with City who have access to all the perks a team in the EPL have.

The difference in income is one aspect and it does matter. Check the clubs spending in the market from the past 5 years:

City vs PSG:
    14-15 season: 58 mil vs 47 mil
    15-16: 141 mil vs 93 mil
    16-17: 178 mil vs 74 mil
    17-18: 226 mil vs 184 mil
    18-19: 23 mil vs 103 mil

626 mil spent compared to 501 mil - more than 120 mil difference. Note that we are not factoring in salaries..etc

Obviously, Qatar can get more from their money investing in Roma considering the league still has some appeal and potential compared to the French league. But I don't think that's their main motivation. Paris is more important than Roma politically on the world stage, and that what matters to them first and foremost.

Vulpinous repped this.
  14. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Because they do. Do some research on how the clubs are run. One is a promotional/political tool with a Galacticos ethos, the other is aiming at sustained global dominance with the best infrastructure in the world. One has a meddling owner that wants stars to sell shirts and promotes dysfunction, the other has owners that are barely seen, hires the correct people and allows them to do their jobs.

When UAE bought City, they improved the club from the bottom up. Every single aspect of that club is amongst the very best in the world. The academy, the backroom staff, the facilities, all of it. It was all about a long-term vision. They were obsessed with emulating Barcelona.

Paris focused on getting the biggest names possible to grab headlines and promote the brand. Hence why I call them the knock-off Galatico's. France probably has had the most young talent in the world for quite some time, and they're essentially ignored. Instead, they go for Beckham, Dani Alves, Buffon and on and on.

Judging these teams based on how they've done in the CL is only a very, very, small fraction of what should be considered here. It's two completely different philosophies on how extreme wealth should be used.

Haakon24 and shiboboo repped this.
  15. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    #5440 Hustle and Flow, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Where are you getting your numbers from?

The Qatar takeover was in 2011, mate.

2011: 96m
    2012: 134m
    2013: 122m
    2014: 44m
    2015: 104m
    2016: 122m
    2017: 256m
    2018: 195m

That's over a billion in 7 years. For an average of 153 million a season. Not to mention they dropped 200m on a single player and 120m on another.

They brought in around 300m in sales over that time.

UAE takeover was in 2008

2008/09: 157m
    2009/10: 147m
    2010/11: 184m
    2011/12: 91m
    2012/13: 62m
    2013/14: 116m
    2014/15: 88m
    2015/16: 208m
    2016/17: 213m
    2017/18: 317m
    2018/19: 77m

Which averages out to around 165m spent a season. A difference of about 10m per season.

They also collected around 460m in sales over that period. So much for this supposed revenue advantage. As I said, it's been irrelevant to date, and it remains to be seen if it will actually matter in the future. PSG just uses its multitude of Qatar "sponsors" to make up any difference in television revenues. FFP doesn't prevent you from creating an elite infrastructure, either.

16. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Net spend is what matters for FFP purposes. I got my numbers from Transfermarkt.

17. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Remember, under FFP UEFA revalues sponsorships to make sure they reflect "market value", thereby preventing rich owners from sponsoring their own clubs to avoid failing the break-even rule test.

18. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    #5443 L'immortale, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019

19. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Java’s dream is close to becoming reality, we will win 2 league titles then get relegated to Serie D.

Shen-O and Java65 repped this.
  20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we will nearly double the number of scudetti in our trophy case. :D

21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? His money+reputation laundering isn't working as well as he'd like? No way...

22. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    shiboboo repped this.
  23. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

24. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  25. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don’t see him coming in and NOT investing in the grounds as well.

City have a portfolio of clubs, but man if you bring a Scudetto to Rome.........