Clint!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, May 18, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not "That's why he's here!!" Clint. The Revs' Clint Dempsey.

I've been extremely impressed with him so far this year. I, personally, like him a bit more than I like Ricardo Clark. And if anyone wants to search my posts, you'll find I loooooove Ricardo Clark. (Oh, if DC had only drafted him instead of Alecko!!!) But anyone who can move Shalrie Joseph to central defense (even if the move was somewhat out of necessity) is a player.

It's interesting that they're almost the exact same age. Which one played where on youth teams? Which one is more likely to be starting in midfield in South Africa?

Also, was he injured in that accident that killed a youth player from Furman?

2. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    As a Metro Supporter:

I agree with you from what i have seen out of Clint, he is far more impressive than what Rico has showed, especially lately. Big & Strong, good at holding up the ball and distributing

Maybee the injury has hurt Rico's development this season.

3. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Dempsey was more of a forward or attacking midfielder in college. Do you guys think d-mid is his best position at this level and possibly for the nats?

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I never saw him play in college. But he has been extremely impressive at DM in the couple of matches I've seen him.

5. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say one way or the other about Dempsey, yet. However, I am a bit down on Rico these days. He seems to have plateaued a bit and is not connecting as well with his mates as I seem to remember from last season.

6. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    He's got that newbie shine, but I agree this guy seems to have the whole realm of abilities, competitive drive and a good head on his shoulders. He does not look like a rookie.

7. GenXer

GenXer New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    in my head
    I'm glad to see that someone else has noticed this kid. I was telling my buddy to have a look at him this weekend. He's great on the ball, very composed, and good at distribution. The only criticism I had of him, that I think may hurt him at this point when it comes to getting a look for the Nats as a def. midfielder, is that he doesn't seem to know how to slow or kill attacks (i.e. like Armas is so good at which The Bruce apparently likes). He just wanders around the middle of the park. But, he's also good in the air, a threat on set pieces, and did I mention composed on the ball? I'd love to see The Bruce give him and R. Clark a run out in a friendly against a team like Wales or Denmark.

Comparing him with R. Clark, I would say Clint has shown better form with the ball this year, but Rico is still better at extinguishing an attack (which might be more important when it comes to fitting into the Nats squad at this point).

8. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad other people notice Dempsey. I actually made the same Clark comparison in my ESPN column this week. Twellman, Joseph, and Dempsey might be the best collection of drafts picks over the last three years. It's a shame the Revs can't put it together lately.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he's not yet recovered from Hernia Surgery. I don't even know when he was last 100%. Certainly not the U20 Cup. Definatly not now.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am a Rev fan and I am in shock about this guy. I don't follow college ball much but I must admit I had never heard of him. Wow, big and strong but the thing is he looks really good on the ball. Just this weekend I was thinking about how much US soccer has changed. The guy looks like a beautiful player and I had never heard of him!
    and you are right about Joseph- here is a guy that Bruce has said he wished he had for the USA and this 20 year old has forced a move to central defense- not too shabby.
    I like Rico but Dempsey looks more athletic and bigger, while being at least as good on the ball. As I said, I am in shock.

11. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I think this thread needs a Mathis photo anyway.

12. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Am I the only one who experienced let down upon first post viewership?

13. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    [​IMG]

14. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
  15. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHA, great photo.

ya, clint has been real impressive when ive seen revs games this season. hes very young obviously, and he is now playing a different position than in college, but man can he adapt. its rare a rookie comes in like this, and plays so much and at a new position at that! hes doin very well this seaosn thus far, and yes way better than rico, who i also have supported in the past a bit. we have alot of young nats would bes on their way to the top. the hardest part, as tom petty says, is the waiting.

forza inter

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I really kept my eye on Clint during the DC-Revs match.

Without spoiling...he's very impressive. Amazing poise with the ball, and in the tackle. Has the "Bill Russell" ability to make a tackle or a clearance TO a teammate. He's a ballwinner in the Claudio Reyna mold, not the Chris Armas mold. He doesn't crunch the ball away, he uses his smarts and long stride to get to the spot and get the ball. I also noticed that there's not much wasted motion with this kid. Next time the Revs are on, watch him away from the ball. He's almost always trotting. But he still manages to have an impact on the match.

He's really, really got to work on one area, tho. He needs to be more physical when it's called for. On one memorable play, he got completely muscled off the ball by a squirty DC midfielder...either Olsen or Convey. Granted, it probably should have been a foul. But he still looked like a wuss...think of Regis against Italy, except worse.

If he addresses that weakness, avoids injury, and works to improve, I expect him to be in Germany. With Pablo Mastroenni settling into central defense, Dempsey may even start. He's that good.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I agree.The Revs have had a miserable season, but Dempsey might be the best player on the team, after 9 professional games.For those who knew this guy before, was he that good in college and with the US U-20 team?The "goal" that was either called off-side or was a foul: damn, that was an unbelievable play,even if it did not count.He juggled it and shot a bullet into the corner off the volley.

18. ms.socafan4life

ms.socafan4life New Member

May 23, 2004
    Dempsey wasn't involved in the accident that injured the other furman players.

19. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I only saw him a couple of times in college so I cannot comment, but he was rarely used with the U20s, and didn't really stand out when he did get in. Ned Grabavoy and Ricardo Clark were the holding midfielders, and both played very well.

As I said in last week's AAXI, I am kind of late to the Dempsey party. I thought he was solid but not spectacular at the start of the season, but I think he's blown up in the last couple of games. Today he was awesome.

20. He is by far the best rookie this year... He gives 100% at all times. As far as not playing because of Clark and Grabavoy on the U-20's goes, he was a forward in college and for the U-20's, not a midfielder. That is why he can actually finish, or at least put himself into position to. Hopefully Bruce has his eyes on this guy.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Bruce says he watches every single MLS game, live or on tape.If Dempsey keeps at it, we may our first superstar at deep midfield.

22. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, he would be the second. I think Mastroeni did a masterful job at JK2002. :)

However, it looks like Mastro will be in the back from this point on, so maybe Dempsey has a shot to get called in. I think his biggest competition will come from Reyna though. To me, the DM role suits Reyna the best (or maybe right back! :D )

We've still got two years before the next World Cup finals ... an awful lot can happen between now and then. There's plenty of time for a number of players to work their way onto Arena's radar screen ... Dempsey is only one of them, but he's made a great start. If he can keep improving at the rate he has been, there could be great things in store for him ...

23. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    What are his chances of playing some forward with Twellman hurt?

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he may have to.I think Revs moved him up at the end of the game last night.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I agree-he is not likely to push either of those guys out of the way, because expreience does count, especially in defensive positions. But we have never had a big,skillful and fast guy playing deep in midfield for the USA.Put it this way: Arena has commented several times that he wished Shalrie Joseph, who I also like, could play for the USA.Dempsey is, as a rookie, a flat out better soccer player- and he is 20!