Clint Dempsey should be benched next game. . .

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I love CLint and the grit he brings to this team, but this is the reason having the same coach for two campaigns is never a good thing. His job is too secure right now. He should hae been subbed out after that lazy ass miss, can you imagine him doing that shit in Fulham? Can you imagine a play like that in the Prem. No ********ing way.

You think Bob will sit his ass down against Jamaica? Some players on this team think they can do whatever they want without repercussions. Complete BS Clint. . .:mad:

2. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Put the bottle down. Zero chance Clint doesn't start if healthy. And, he should start.

He missed some he should have scored, but he'll be on the field.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Oh hey, it's a meatball reaction to a bad game from a great player.

I've said this in like 7 different posts-an exhausted guy made a terrible decision in the six. It wasn't showboating. It was a slow reaction from a guy who is better than that. He hit a post. He forced two other very good saves, missed two headers he would normally bury.

Bad night. And we still won. He'll be fine. You don't overreact to one bad game.

4. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's a vet and an important player. I'm sure Bradley will say something to him and that will be that.

5. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Dempsey is great creating attack from midfield, but Dempsey isn't a foward.

Dempsey should start the next game, Dempsey is awake ********ing up tonight.

6. JHickman

JHickman Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Southeast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reaction stuns me. Clint, exhausted, busts his ass all game to get into positions, does, and fails.

Landon's the shadow here. Horrible.

7. Pro-Evo-King

Pro-Evo-King New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Football outerspace
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously the guy is tired, again bad tactical change by Bob, whenever a player is talking about lacks of warmup time you know he is tired beyond his limit.

8. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't the first time Clint and Landon have played piss poor before but they always get rewarded whatever they do, it's pathetic. If he's too tired to play then put somebody else out there that can at least give it 100%. That showing was pathetic and embarrasing.

Why not sub Agudelo or somebody who actually has legs. So what Bradley is telling team is that a completely gassed Clint is better than everyone else on the bench? So gassed he can't bother to lift his leg up to score a goal. Whatever, there's no accountability on this team. Clint plays some of his worse games for the USMNT and plays a 100 times better for Fulham, I wonder why.:rolleyes:

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He should have probably started up top to conserve some energy, and if his finishing was on we would have been up 3-0 at half and he could have gotten a break.

He was one of two guys to play well against Spain, played well against Canada, was the only guy fighting for the first 60 minutes against Panama, and then went out and had a terrible night in the finishing department. He still fought hard.

Bradley probably doesn't need to say anything to him. He's not a high school kid. He knows what happened.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tired guy misses some chances. Still, he's the best FK taker we have and the best attacking player in the air in the box. Has the most composure on the ball, and the best first touch.

If he can walk he starts vs. Jamaica.

12. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going to LOL at this thread.

13. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah I am sure he was just screwing around and didn't care about missing those opportunities. Goal scorers love not scoring goals.

15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good God, Almighty.

The US National Team Forum has completely gone insane the last few days. It's pretty much unreadable now.

The loonies are running the asylum.

16. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Who should start instead??? Bad idea.

17. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why we'll never amount to anything, entitlement is strong with this team and the "veterans", that's always a good recipe for success. I know we don't have the depth but these "stars" have pulled this shit before and it's getting old. Donovan's many disapearing acts and Clint's blatant disregard to even pretend he's trying.

Nary a negative word from the coach or the press, just keep stroking them, it will take us deep into World Cups and beyond.

18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ridiculous. Would be the stupidest decision Bob has made in his coaching career, and Bob has made some pretty bad ones. I don't understand how anyone could even think of advocating benching one of our best players just because he acted a little cocky.

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Are you kidding? He's played like 310 minutes in 10 days. He was gassed. He was all fight tonight-his finishing was Robbie Keane-esque, but it happens.

You don't knee jerk and bench your best players when they do something like have a game completely out of character. I would be stunned if he didn't come out guns blazing against Jamaica.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even pretend he's trying? Do you know anything about Clints career? He got to where he was based on outworking everyone else. One bad game doesn't negate an entire career.

21. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    He should never get benched, but I do hope Bob gives him a good ole fashioned ass whoopin. That was a disgraceful show of entitlement. A hungry player like Wondo would have buried that.

22. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    I wanted Clint benched before Egypt in 09 for looking tired and out of it vs Italy and Brazil. I now give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bad games happen, more so to creative/chance-taking players. He'll be fine.

23. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could've played many formations that didn't include Dempsey. Why would the coach put Dempsey in that situation? Completely unnacceptable performance. Keep stroking the veterans. . . it'll take us far.

24. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint had a bad day - it happens ... And he has an attitude to boot - but that is what makes him him Clint. He starts next match - period.

Landon tho is a different story - poor free kicks, unwillingness to blow by people, not tracking back with pace, no long left footed passing, and no shots at range ... In short disappearing like a shadow. Either he is unhealthy or he is not performing.