Rumor: Clint Dempsey EPL Loan Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by MSchwigg13, Oct 26, 2014.

1. MSchwigg13

MSchwigg13 Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not sure if theres a better place to post this, but per ESPN, there's some interest for Deuce to head to the EPL (presumably on loan) in January

"Duece to get loose in January?

Seattle Sounders striker Clint Dempsey may be on his way back to the Premier League this winter according to several U.K. outlets including The Mirror.

The latest rumour is that Aston Villa, Stoke City and Queens Park Rangers are interested in adding the U.S. international for the second half of the Premier League season.

Dempsey is fresh off securing the Supporters' Shield in MLS and has the MLS Cup playoffs next up on his agenda. The 31-year-old has legit Prem experience with Fulham and Tottenham and it's well-documented how U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann feels about where his charges should play."

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/transfer-...st-newsgossip-and-whispers-from-across-europe

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I hope not take a break and stick with MLS only.

GalacticoX4, wixson7, INKRO and 4 others repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I disagree. Bank it, baby. There is no "next season" for a 31 year old soccer player. Go till the wheels fall off!

4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't Dempsey admit to be being tired after the World Cup? A break probably would be best for him. Although as a starved YA fan, would be great to see him give it another go.

freisland repped this.
  5. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    This would mean he will basically play non-stop from fall of 2013 to the end of 2015. That seems waaaay to long for someone of his age. If he wants to try and still be around for Copa America in 2016, it would make more sense for him to go on loan at the beginning of that year than 2015.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Will he actually get paid more (in addition to what MLS pays him) if he goes on loan?

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I can't imagine why one would do it otherwise.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Exactly - what about our feelings?!

9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It would be nice to see him survive through this next cycle... could really use old Clint for the Gold Cup/confederations cup (hopefully), Copa America and Next World Cup... I haven't seen Clint say anything about retiring from international soccer so I'm hoping he will be around in 2018... he'll be 35 but his game doesn't really rely on speed/raw athleticism so I think he should hold up pretty well..

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's foolish for him to do this. He is getting up in age and he should be looking at ways to extend his career. Playing 11 months a year is NOT that way.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He didn't exactly get a lot of PT at Fulham and that was not a strong EPL side. (to say the least)

And he will probably have a month and a half off before he has to report to a club post-New Year's.

That said, I wouldn't insist on him going, had I been coaching the US. Granted, I am not a finalist in the FIFA Coach of the Year award either.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A traditional US pro league compensation program pays only during the actual season due to the players contracts often not being guaranteed and thus depending on their making the "final" roster. MLS is not that different in many respects - taking aside the pending CBA - and are likely to pay full contract amounts once the season is declared open.

An EPL side in danger could easily pony up half a mil a month, however.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but the argument isn't go on a loan or sit on a beach in Hawaii, or go fishing in rural Texas. The argument is go on loan or most likely go to Cupcake where Jurgen runs guys through practices/scrimmages, sometimes two-a-days along with a couple friendlies at the end of the month.

All things considered, is there that much if a difference? He won't be taking the month of Jan off either way. The 11 months a year argument doesn't really apply.

I find it interesting that this is being argued as "foolish" because it might not extend Clint's career, while a perfectly healthy and in-form Landon who's only a year older is hanging 'em up for good and that's perfectly acceptable. Maybe Clint should listen to BS, go on a trek to SE Asia and contemplate retirement and going to college/traveling the world, as that path seems to extend careers longer.

14. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    His agent denied the rumor, albeit with a PR-sounding line that Deuce is focusing only on the playoffs.

15. jreadusaf

jreadusaf Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Tübingen, Germany
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That shit just never gets old.

Hell no ******** Europe we need a fresh Deuce for that CCL. Lol seriously no he's too old.

17. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Reminds me of how everytime Fulham got a new manager they dropped him before realizing he was the best option.

Zamora was unbelievable that season tho.

19. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the American Bias but yes Zamora was great but should not have started either game, semis or final. He was injured and it was obvious

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just seeing this thread active had me momentarily wondering if the last 7 years had just been a fevered dream... but alas...

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I miss those weekends watching Fulham on Fox Soccer Channel. Glory Days!

Pl@ymaker, DeCoverley, Gorky and 2 others repped this.
  22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Delete this thread. Just clogs this forum.