Clint Dempsey = Best USMNT Player Ever

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Mar 25, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sure he must have an assist or 2 against Mexico

2. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Dempsey has been a fabulous player!

...but for me it is clear that LD is the USMNT GOAT. I don't really think it's that close (even if LD says Dempsey was on a faster pace, didn't play against as many B-teams, etc) -- LD performed well over a long stretch and he has the stats to show for it.

Of course, we're setting keepers aside here... (Imagine if Keller and Friedel hadn't overlapped to the same degree. ...and btw, Keller won me over with the game against Brazil - I'm still not sure we've seen an equal or better performance from a US keeper than that game.)

...and so many other players (from other eras) could be brought in... But it'll always be apples to oranges. It's a pity though when these discussions turn into 'knock-down' competitions. We've had a number of great players, players who flashed amazing potential, players who displayed great skill...

Finally, for me,Tab Ramos isn't really a contender statistically, but I do think he deserves to be mentioned in the discussion (even only if in passing) - but that's mostly because I was impressionable during the '94 World Cup. ...We were doing okay against Brazil until Leonardo knocked Tab out with a cynical elbow! (Still not over that.)

3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the top of my head, he assisted on LD's goal in the GC final '11. Not sure about others.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey has scored against the likes of Juve, Liverpool and Man U while on an extensive club career in Europe. On top of the for Country goals listed above.
    Clint Dempsey, for me n my buddies, his Club n Country resume is more robust than Landon's for the very reason these Club goals scored in Europe. Season after season either at outside right or up top or even when asked to play a central role. Fulham or Spurs. That chip over Buffon when Fulham knocked out Juve to go to their one and only European Regional Cup Final. Donovan never even came close to this type of Club fame for his fans n supporters in Germany or England. Even Brian McBride has a pub named after him at Fulham. Or Reyna and his lore for Wolfsburg winning promotion and with Rangers scoring against Celtic. These type of plays/efforts over in the best leagues on the planet.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Not to mention that Dempsey is Fulham's top scorer in the PL with 50 league goals in their 13 years in the PL. While McBride is their second top scorer.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    57 NT goals and 20 NT assists.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Does Dempsey play on past 2017, or has his era on the national team come to a close?

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he gets the record in 2 friendlies next month and then he's done

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL at thread title.

10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best ever would have equalized, he's done.