Clint Dempsey appreciation

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Real Corona, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    If I played with someone as much as McBride did that I thought was an asshole I would politely stay silent when they retired. McBride didn't do that.

Come on I shouldn't have to explain that.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    If that’s what you meant, it’s an even sillier point than I originally thought. I figured you had just misread what I said. You don’t have any asshole friends? Cause I do. McBride might.

3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Agreed. As one who only watches and doesn't really go in for the "personality" of the player off the field, the more I see of Clint, the more I like and can relate to. Not only would it be fair to call him into the games, but I hope he becomes part of the coaching set up. The fire he brought as a player will be something that he will bring as a coach. Of course, it is the kind of thing that is not teachable and I may be terribly wrong. But his drive can be influential to a young player trying to figure out how much to give and where to give it. He was my idea of the best we had.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dempsey's retirement was absolute (club & country) and effective immediately, as per the communiqué, so that makes me think there may be medical reasons behind it.

If that's the case, considering he had A-fib, it's very unlikely he ever plays pro soccer again, not even for a goodbye game.