Climbing the Mountain: Bob Bradley at Stabæk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be 100% honest, I felt the same way about Bob as coach of USMNT until the guy left and then it became readily apparent what he had to work with and how much he achieved. Doubt you will feel the same, but it's funny how perspective shifts thing. If I had known the USMNT was going to end up the way that it has with Klinsmann I wouldn't have blinked if they had extended his contract another 4 years.

I had the man all wrong. I don't know what it was, I guess I've always been a fan of manager's who wear a suit instead of a tracksuit on the sidelines. SOmething about his demeanor always left me feeling cold and sterile. But honestly, I think I had the man completely wrong and I personally think he ranks up there with Arena as the premier American coach and I think you will miss him when all is said and done.... thanks for the insights and be well

russ and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2377 m vann, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    I'm elated for Bob. This job is tailor made for him. He's a "project manager". I hate using this term as it can have a negative connotation but from winning the MLS Cup with an expansion team, transitioning the USMNT into a new era, rebuilding Egypt during absolute turmoil, to bringing Stabaek back from a dark period, it's the absolute truth. Bob has a knack these things. He rolls up his sleeves, uses his resources wisely, and never gets sidetracked from the objective at hand. He's persistent and regimented almost to fault but the results are there to prove these are positive attributes. I think he will do well at HAC. Knowing Bob, I bet he already has a game plan in action.

manoa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The grass is always greener my friend

4. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The national team now is not any worse than it was with Bob. It's not any better either. There's no real appreciable difference in the quality of performances or the results, no matter what the armchair analysts (looking at you, @MLSAnalyst) tell you on Twitter. Thinking Bob is an improvement over Klinsmann is revisionist. Both are fine, neither is a master of the craft, and they hold similar opinions about the state of things in US Soccer, as evidenced by Bob's recent interview with Rob Harris.

But that isn't what this thread is about. Congrats to Bob, and I hope I'll be able to watch him manage in Ligue 1 next season. As an aspiring coach, having an American to watch go to work in a top league will be awesome.

5. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    And as the great wheele of time turns onwards - rumours are beginning to seep out that Stabæk have signed Bobs replacement. No names as of yet though.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason Kreis? Will keep the majority of fans here....

superdave, deuteronomy and Winoman repped this.
  7. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Les Ciel et Marine: Le Robobob
    [​IMG]

Congrats to Bradley the Elder. It should be an entertaining ride.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread jack. , but your comment that the "national team now is not any worse than it was with Bob" deserves a rebuttal. The difference is that JK has done something to the team that has reduced the ability of the individuals to play as a coordinated team at the skill level of each individual player, whereas BB got the most out of each player by maximizing the contributions their individual skills made to the team. The net result is that the Nats have gone backward under JK, while under BB, the worst that can be said is that they did not get better. End Thread jack.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I'm guessing Barrieu will also be covering the duty of interpreter for Bob.

11. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    #2386 Fanatical Monk, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    When you compare where Staebek finished both last year and especially this year with the other relelgation candidates, he did indeed blow away the competition.

As long as you ignore all the recent historically bad milestones set, this remains true.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a non-Stabaek fan, who has kept attention on the club for only those months BB was in charge, yes, I agree. For guys like @@ringo who has been a supporter and seen them qualify for Europe only two (or 3?) years before BB got there, his terms wasn't a massive improvement over recent (from Stabeak's fans perspectives) results. It's all a matter of your perspective. From my YA perch, I'm just glad he's still got a job, and hopeful that he can pull Le Havre up to Ligue 1.

@ringo repped this.
  13. @ringo

@ringo Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    True!

Looking at the points per game average since we first entered the top flight back in 95 we're on a solid 3 place only beaten by Molde and Rosenborg.

We also seem to forget that the way we played last season, beeing outplayed and outshot in 8 out of 11 victories, was everything but impressive

Martin Fischer repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already know you are here to play devil's advocate (as you've stated many times), and not to provide an honest appraisal of Bob's tenure, so give it up already.

deuteronomy repped this.
  15. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The recent historically bad milestones don't change the product that's being displayed on the field. We're stationary, not moving backward. We still don't play pure boot and run, and there's still no successful choreography of movements. However, we aren't in a vacuum. The competition is improving, which is the reason for the decrease in recent results (although Klinsmann still holds the best record of USMNT coaches, for both competitive and noncompetitive matches).
    This is what I mean by revisionist. Focusing of Bob Bradley's good moments and Klinsmann's bad ones to fit your narrative does not give an accurate picture of reality. For the majority of the first cycle, both were generally thought of as the right coach for the job. During their respective second cycles, the failure to see a marked improvement from the shortcomings of the first has led to a popular movement for the coaches to be fired.

Importantly, I don't want my posts to be viewed as an attack of Bradley or as an endorsement of Klinsmann's tactical acumen. IMO, as tacticians, they're even. Neither is terrible, neither is great. But the movement for Klinsmann's head is being led by a specific group of USMNT "journalists" (they're just fans with a platform) who have ulterior motives for their opinion. They don't like being talked down to, and take it personally rather than as a professional critique, so they fire back. I'm not happy with what's being displayed on the field, but Klinsmann isn't the problem, just as Bradley wasn't. There's only so much you can do to find success when the players available aren't that good.

Statman repped this.
  16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I was going to say the same thing (although I was a fan). I think lots of US fans have a much greater appreciation for what Bob was able to accompish now - and I personally think he was tactically much sounder than people gave him credit for. He wasn't a one style fits all guy, contrary to popular perception.

(TxT), russ, Xenimus and 3 others repped this.
  17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are glossing over some bad facts for JK, who struggled greatly in our first round of qualifying.

deuteronomy repped this.
  18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a weird place to bring these theories up.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  19. Insecticide

Insecticide Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Definitely not a JK thread so I'll probably start deleting stuff when we can't help ourselves.

russ, Winoman, bungadiri and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Bob speak French?

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    His son's season is over so he can do his off-season job as translator

Gorky and bungadiri repped this.
  23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Bob Bradley made me quit as USA mod when they retained him after the world cup . Now I'd give him JK'S salary plus his own. That's how I realized how undervalued I was about him.

Go Le Havre

lmorin, Geneva, Fanatical Monk and 2 others repped this.
  24. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Brünnhilde's aria:

25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay folks, let's start a new Bob thread.

Titles?