Cleveland Name?

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by jrdebi00, Dec 5, 2006.

1. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? The team is a part of the community and the fans that support it to keep the club alive should be the ones giving it its nickname.

Why do you keep saying I grew up with them? I'm only 17! I've grown up with just about every name, and I still think that the older nicknames have more class. Nothing to do with age or tradition or whatever other excuse you're going to give, they just seem to have a classier feel to them. Classinesss does not come with age, classiness begins at day one.

Don't use Real Salt Lake, that's an example of someone trying too hard. I've never been a fan of the name and I wish they would've picked something else. It's the lone example of traditional naming that turned out to be a joke so I'm not surprised you brought it up. There are exceptions just like everything else, but for the most part naming clubs in that traditional way of THE GAME has worked. I'm all for keeping the tradition of the game over the traditional "Las Vegas Scorpions" style naming we have here in America. It's so childish.

As for why I like the Pirates and Phillies, for one, the Pirates was not Pittsburgh's first name. THey were the Alleghenies, and it changed after they began to "pirate" players from the Philadelphia team. The fans began calling them "Pittsburgh Pirates" to mock the Philly team and it stuck. As for the Phillies, I don't think you can have naymore of a connection to an area than by naming the team after the people, eh?

The Dodgers moved from NYC, same with the Giants, and and the Lakers moving from Minnesota to LA. The Jazz moving from New Orleans to Salt Lake City. These are teams that have moved and never were renamed, say like the Tennessee Titans, formerly the Tennessee Oilers, formerly the Houston Oilers. When the teams were in their original cities they were decent names, I'm not a big fan of the Titans or Oilers or Lakers, but there are worse.

And that would be?

What? Why? Has San Jose ever won anything outside of MLS worth anything? Hell, the only team to do anything outside of MLS is LA, and that was in the Champions Cup, and even that's a joke.

Soccer has tradition is America like basketball has tradition in Asia. Besides, I never said there are NO traditions in America. I said that there are no traditions in America that have had any effect on the game.

The naming tradition is in question. Do you see any teams in South America or Europe with names like we have here? Oh wait, I can't wait to go see the London Royals play the Madrid Armada. BAH! Sounds like shite.

2. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    what?

3. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great comeback answer: "Why not?"
    You post a question that I already posted an answer to....Genius!
    I think it would be a help marketing a team in a midwestern "American city." I think it should reflect a cities tradition/history/characteristics so the community and fans can rally behind it and support it, so we're not that far off.
    However, do you support the Cavaliers, Browns, and Indians if your from the north? Because we sure didn't help name them.

You avoided and didn't answer my second question, which would satisfy your requirements I just quoted:

2. Why not do it before they play?

Being an official nickname aside, it would still be come up with by the fans.

:confused: Yeah, ok. Ummm, those teams, that YOU stated, were created in the last decade, so you DID grow up as they were born, let alone grew up with them, which would be closer to the Rockies. The DRays and DBacks were in 98. The Predators and Thrashers were around 98 and 99. The Galaxy started in 96. You witnessed the creation of the teams as you were growing up as a kid; you witnessed others have an opinion on the name and the omnipresent media as you created your opinion. My point stands, and your credibility goes a little lower.

And still, when I say you "grew up with them," I'm saying they were commonplace in the sports media and have had winning seasons, etc....only the DBacks have won out of the non-soccer teams. The Galaxy have, but soccer doesn't get as much press as the rest of the sports.
    And what do you know....oddly enough, most of those teams you mention as classy have won stuff....mostly recently....ya know....championships and such.
    Hmmmm.
    And the Pirates are close to Ohio, and maybe to you depending on your location.

Also, being "classier" begins at day 1 maybe, but classiness is not defined in day 1.

CD Chivas USA, or any team using "USA" in their name is a joke as well.
    FC Dallas hasn't been the biggest success either. People can't figure out whether it stands for futbol or incorrectly football, what to call the team (Toros, Hoops, Stripes, Waldos, whatever), why people refer to the team as Hoops when that is what basketball is called, etc.....
    The media is screwing up the simple Toronto FC up there as well.
    I like Toronto FC's logo though.
    Additionally, maybe Salt Lake should have listened to what the fans said in a poll (Highlanders)?

What would you consider Cleveland Stokers FC?
    What do you consider Bolton Wanderers?
    What do you consider Blackburn Rovers?
    Are you a proponent of that style for other sports?

But this isn't about naming the team something relevant to the community and area....the fans didn't come up with the name Phillies after all. What about the others?

If those are classy names to to that reasoning, then why not the Cleveland Admirals or Stokers or even Bulldogs given the names history and indirect ties, or something similar that relates to the community, area, history, etc? And yet the Thrashers are named after their state bird, Devil Rays, Diamondbacks, and Seahawks after local wildlife, Predators after local history, etc....How are names that don't relate to an area like Lakers, Dodgers, etc classier than these? Or names that are about the clothing, or region, etc?
    You don't know, just go off how they sound?
    Well than the answer is familiarity, history, tradition, media, etc....
    I'll give you a helping hand for your argument though.....simple is better in terms of naming.

As for the Pirates, wikipedia's nice when you need to come up with an explaination real quick, huh? Love the 19th century trivia.

Which brings me to the next point, the same thing could happen to an MLS team, and it be renamed if the fans stick to it like in that case. So it doesn't matter if they start with a less classier name, they can always be renamed, right?

I know the histories. My point is why are they classy if they have absolutely no relevence to their areas....NONE?
    I completely advocate leaving a name and history in a city when a team leaves (Earthquakes, Browns, etc), and believe the Oilers should have been brought back instead of the fan-constrictive Texans.

That the "American style" of naming teams is present outside of the US, even in soccer, but that isn't even part of the "tradition of the game."
    The relevent typing:
    How does the naming of teams of teams affect the "tradition of the game?"
    To answer that point, please tell me why it is bad that clubs are named Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, etc in the American style. And those are off the top of my head....there are plenty more in Europe, and across the globe, not just in Japan.
    Adding a three-point shot, creating offsides rules, widening the crease, taking steroids....those things affect the tradition of the actual respective games, not names of teams.
    How do you get from that tho this drivel:
    ???

Yet the Earthquakes have tradition way outside of MLS.
    And as I stated, it is still US soccer tradition, and important, regardless of scope. Just as the NASL was and is, just as previous levels were and are. It doesn't matter outside of the US; it's still our tradition.

Oh, you're suggesting to copy foreign names because they've won some big tournaments?
    Why didn't you just say so in the first place.

ummm....
    Ok, whatever you say.....

Just to humor me, what traditions "that have an effect on the game" are you referring to from outside of the US?

Ummm, YES!
    Go visit the EPL website to start with, then branch off from there....
    There are plenty.

(to the matter/manner you're speaking on/in)
    Sounding like a ignorant, hypocritical, front-running, want-to-be-trendy, poser now.

4. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Pittsburgh players just used to say "garrrrrrrrrrrrrr" alot? :cool:

And I get the Phillies name, it's a play on the city's name. So what? Crew had no connections to Columbus, it would have been better off called the Orange Barrels! But it's what we have, and I like it. It's not like Columbus was the only city in the Union either, so Blue Jackets isn't specific either...

5. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Real TSV 1796 Heart of Grampas Eight Men in Flight Cleveland Wanderer Sundowns United FC S-Pulse. Hands down the best choice out there.

Seriously though, I think Hoosier has the best idea. Cleveland Rangers. Not too "foreign" for the American public. With a classy crest it could work for the traditional crowd as well. Fits well with the whole Forest City thing (without using the name Forest City), and I'm sure Tom Turner would love it.

6. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem I have with all this "FC" and "AC" jazz is that the teams in question are pretending to be something they're not. FC Dallas is not a "football club". It's a franchise of MLS. "Clubs" in Europe really are clubs, as I understand it, with members and everything. Calling the Cleveland team "Cleveland Athletic Club" would be a conceit -- it's not really a "club".

Sorry, just picky. But I do think it's silly that American soccer teams have to put on airs to be like the big boys instead of just being ourselves. Real Salt Lake was the worst example of this. What, did Juan Carlos I fly to Utah to anoint the team?

------RM

7. Stanman09

Stanman09 New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Milwaukee
    If you guys end up going fc/sc rout, you will only add to the struggles for MLS to find an identity with America.

8. MickeyMoney

MickeyMoney Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Northeast Ohio

I agree with this point but it would be nice if one of these franchises became a TRUE Sporting Club or Athletic Club with soccer being the money making venture but offering instruction or just an out let for other sports with in the community.

9. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    I agree. It is a shame that so many pathetic names were chosen by the Nike/adidas marketers when the league started (Wiz, Burn, Clash, MetroStars, etc.). On the other hand, some the names are great (Fire, Rapids, United, Dynamo). I liked the fact a couple of the names tied in with the city's NFL names (Revs-->Patriots) and (Mutiny-->Buccaneers). Some names were just OK (Galaxy, Crew, Fusion). I prefer plural nouns to singular nouns. Red Bulls and Chivas USA fall into a special category that I am ambivalent about. I think the Real name is the most preposterous. I am not a big fan of FC, SC, etc., although I think that Philadelphia AC (or Philadelpia Athletic) would be an interesting soccer tie-in to the old baseball Philadelphia A's naming history.

It's all a matter of taste, I suppose, but I like names that would be accessible to the average person. However the 1996 fiasco of naming teams to appeal to Jr. High video gamers was just as silly as trying to sound like G14 clubs.

10. ChiCleveSoccer

ChiCleveSoccer New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    ChicagoviaCleveland
    Rust....wow, that is an original one.

They sure do make 'em smart out there in Denverland.

11. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    Now... no need to bring John Elway's name into a soccer-board discussion!

---------------​

12. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point... it makes sense... however, it appears that with the Youth Teams Initiative, these "franchises" may become a lot closer to clubs in the long run... i can definitely see the day where the locals are able to pay dues to belong to the club in exchange for preferred seating, use of some facilities, etc.... it may be a little more forward thinking than what we currently see in the American sports landscape (including the current version of MLS)...

13. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Cleveland SamWyches

14. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    Cleveland, Ohio and Cincinnati, Ohio are actually two different cities. But then, you wouldn't know that, being from Phoenix. :)

'​

15. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    ohhhh ahhh burn!!!!

16. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It's cliche, but, here goes...

Cleveland Rocks

<runs away>

17. Whitecaps_fan

Whitecaps_fan New Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Forrest city admirals. I personally like it. To me it's not a stereotypical euro soccer name, yet it's not foolish like the Kansas city Wizards, if that make any sense whatsoever.

18. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    It makes a lot more sense than the Washington Wizards. I believe the allusion they were going for had something to do with the Wizard of Oz: "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore."

'​

19. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    Which is true--they're in Missouri--at least for now. They may end up in the Kansas part of the KC metro area... if they can find a municipality to help fund a Soccer-Specific Stadium.

'​

20. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SC Cuyahoga, it's got a nice ring to it.

21. NYC10

NYC10 New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Northeast USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland Rangers, it is somewhat traditional but also has an American feel... thoughts?

22. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i like it, may i ask why you picked the rangers though?

23. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Another candidate for the multiple-choice list:

Cleveland Untouchables. Eliot Ness came to Cleveland from Chicago and declared war on the old Flats and other spots of ill repute around town.

Of course, there's a chance we might get Fake Salt Lake... Fake Mistake on the Lake FC?

25. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    Would that sound too much like a team for Irish-Americans only?

On the plus side, it could be shortened to the 'Rocks by the fans and media headlines.
    '​