Cleveland 2009 post season discussion thread

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by CCSUltra, Sep 27, 2009.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure. There was a rumor the day before that the team was going to be sold and then the next day we learn that the team is no more. I don't think many people knew what was going on. All I know is that Aaron did a lot of work to try and get the team sold.

Ultimately, I think the confusion surrounding Div II soccer killed the City Stars. If things do get straightened out, I think a team will return to Cleveland. It's too important of a market (at least to USL) to be ignored.

2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys keep saying that, but I'm not buying it. How long did this market go ignored by USL? We couldn't properly support the USL1 team that we had. USL isn't in the business of placing teams in markets that they think are "important" unless there's an ownership group that wants to take the risk and provide the cash.

What exactly makes this market "too important"?

3. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Cleveland has going for it is interested ownership groups. There was one group interested enough to come within a day of buying City (before the franchise was revoked) and another interested enough for the USL to revoke the City Stars franchise in order to clear the way for talks with (which may continue after the USL is done with the NASL arbitration mess and has some free time on its hands).

4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it has anything to do with ownership groups. If anything, I would guess we're a little short in the prospective ownership group area.

What makes Cleveland attractive is it's market size (top 20) and the number of youth soccer programs.

5. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth market, though seemingly attractive, is not always a decent indicator of potential ticket sales. A significant portion of these kids come to a game on their league night and that's it.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize that there are several markets above us that don't have MLS teams as well (I mention MLS because they would be competing with a local Div II team): Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Phoenix, Minneapolis, and San Diego. Not to mention that there are several only slightly smaller: St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Sacremento, Charlotte, and Indianapolis to name a few.

I still don't see what's so special about us.

And as MLS has already proven, media market size is not necessarily the most important thing to focus on. Look at the success of RSL and Columbus. Heck look at cities in other sports like New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Buffalo, Green Bay, all small markets.

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TV_markets_and_major_sports_teams

And this is even more telling:
    History of the the Cleveland Akron Media Market

[​IMG]

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market-graph.cgi?Z=&dma=13

Tell me again what's so enticing about this area?

7. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats DMA? Ranking of the Metro Area?

8. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't make us special, it just makes us an important market. The leagues want to have teams in big markets.

It doesn't mean that we're guaranteed a team, but it just means that the league would like to put one there. There is still interest in a second division soccer team in Cleveland. Whether or not something comes of that interest, we'll just have to wait and see.

10. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember some talk of the team dropping to USL-2 under new ownership. Is there still interest in a third division team if D2 doesn't pan out? (Assuming there is a third division in '11. The level's down to six teams and Pittsburgh and Real Maryland hardly scream "stability".)

11. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Till the USL and the NASL get worked out and the USSF D-2 league stuff is all said and done I doubt USL will get ANY new members. My best bet though would be USL eventually moves to D3 and the NASL takes over D-2. Until there is a clearer separation between USL and the breakoff league then the USSF is making now I don't see a soccer team reappearing in Cleveland.

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland has more money than you think. From what I remember, they actually have a fairly large budget (by USL-2 standards). Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is struggling financially.

Also, there is interest in second division soccer in Cleveland. Whether anything is done with it, we will have to wait and see.

13. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, whatever that interest might be it's too late to field a team for this season. So.... well, we'll have to wait until 2011 at least.

14. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can verify this is true. I spoke to one of the people that came down from Cleveland, and is now working for the Eagles in Charlotte, and he said that D-2 soccer will be back in Cleveland may be in two or three years.

15. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, where did you get that bit of information from?

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From people in the league. From what I heard, the Riverhounds are not strong financially. Maybe I shouldn't say struggling, but they certainly aren't one of the big guns money-wise in USL-2.

In USL-2, the big guns, money wise, are Richmond, Maryland, and Charleston.

Charlotte doesn't have a huge budget, but are very smart with their money. Same with Harrisburg. CCS was in this same budget range.

From what I heard, Pittsburgh had one of the lowest operating budgets. It doesn't mean the team is going to fold, but they won't be moving up to a higher division.

17. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if we don't get team how long till this forum closes?

18. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cool to have a place for Cleveland people to talk about Cleveland things.

[​IMG]

19. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this place is active enough that they'd leave it around. This used to be in the MLS: Expansion forum but we requested that it be moved to USL when we got a team.

20. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's more accurate...the Hounds have had one of the smallest operating budgets over the past two seasons, but they have positive cash flow from the academy system.

21. crewsupport

crewsupport New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Got a call from a former Cleveland player. Israel Sesay just landed at Real Maryland on a loan deal. Figured he would be playing at least in USSF D-II.

By the way, I just wanted to let you guys know I got invited to a World Cup party on Saturday, June 12 from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. This event is happening at Johnny Malloy's Akron location at 1954 Buchholzer.

Think of it as a City Stars reunion. I thought I would pass it along as I am told it is open to the public.