Cleveland 2009 post season discussion thread

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by CCSUltra, Sep 27, 2009.

1. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We're Staying in Cleveland

Well, I'm beginning to feel like not supporting a new team in Cleveland based on the way it looks like it's being brought in. And what's to keep the USL from screwing over the new owners, too?

2. sfixx

sfixx Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Lorain County, OH
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CCSUltra, does that include WPS? I wouldn't be opposed to that as a gradual next step back into the game, or even a competitive PASL indoor team that plays downtown. I think that the crowds we saw at Krenzler were best case scenario...so in my opinion we are a long way from going big time.

How much more would the hype of a championship have helped attendence if we stayed in the USL-2 at Krenzler for another year or 2?

3. budfrog532

budfrog532 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.

That's where I am at. Going to have to see how this whole mess plays out, but highly doubtful, no matter the resolution, that there will be a team to support in 2010.

4. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The clevelandcitystars.com domain registration supposedly expired on Sunday, but the domain is still unavailable. I'm wondering if the new team (I've got a weird feeling there will be one with how few USL-2 teams are left) may be buying the City Stars trademarks.

5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm torn here. Yes, City was screwed over royally. But would a new team be better than no pro soccer in Cleveland? I'm leaning toward yes.

Actually, an NASL team would be ideal, but the USL-1 experience with City has me nervous about 2nd division soccer in Cleveland.

6. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the new owners bought a franchise and are buying the CCS logo + name etc. separately what does that mean for our current players?

7. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They would have to sign new contracts. All of the players that were under contract were released last week.

Technically the team still exists, but there are no players, nothing.

I'd love to see a team here, but I doubt we'll have one for this upcoming season. It looks pretty bleak.

8. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At this point things look bleak....We should go back to having an indoor team.

9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We do have an indoor team in the area, the Ohio Vortex. They're out of Canton, but are playing a few games closer to Cleveland.

I don't mind indoor, but I'd much rather have an outdoor team. Indoor soccer is nothing compared to the real thing.

10. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It'd be nice to have both so I have something to watch in the winter. Any idea where the vortex play? I'm about to google 'em.

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The next two weekends they're playing at the Metroplex in Warrensville.

After that, the rest of their home games are at the Canton Civic Center in downtown Canton. It's a much nicer facility than the Metroplex.

Steven Gillespie from CCS is playing for the Vortex. I'm planning on being at the next two home games.

12. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can you just buy tickets there? I got a group of 5-8 people looking to go...

13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can buy tickets there.

I'll be there wearing my Teteh Bangura jersey :D

14. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully I'll be in a rowdy group of kids on the 19th game ;)

15. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll be at Saturday's game (hopeful re: the 19th, but unsure).

Tickets are available walk-up - $8 ($11 and $13 once they start playing in Canton)

Programs are free, parking is too for the Cleveland games (the Canton Civic Center charges for parking and you can be towed if they see you coming in to the Civic Center from another parking lot).

16. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--

It's funny--the Akron Zips are getting many more column inches in the Plain Dealer than the Cleveland City Stars ever got.

17. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, and the Stars won their title match.

------RM

18. sfixx

sfixx Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Lorain County, OH
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is this thread dead?

Perhaps the closest thing to an official announcement yet is the email sent to team volunteers thanking us for our past dedication to the team and stating that our services will no longer be required. The letter mentions the PD article as evidence that we don't have a team anymore which I thought was curious since that story seemed to leave a hint of a door open to the possibility of a sale. It seems only in name the team could continue now.

"USL President Tim Holt wouldn't comment on the City Stars' status Friday but said in a phone interview that the league was to still hoping to field a team in Cleveland next spring."

It looks like the end of a very short era. It sure was fun while it lasted. So many great memories due to our undefeated home status our first 2 years. It was fun getting to know the players, front office, other fans and volunteers. I will never forget attending that championship game and joining the team celebration on the field afterward...that was priceless! Thanks to Aaron Treadway, Mark Geisbauer, Coach Rennie and owner Jonathan Ortlip for bring us that amazing glory though fleeting it was.

Best wishes to you all...I hope to see you around...perhaps in the soccer stands somewhere, at the pub or on the pitch :)

Steve

19. crewsupport

crewsupport New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC

I think the Cleveland situation depends on what the USSF decides to do with the USL/NASL. Cleveland is an important market that may become very desirable. We shouldn't give up hope until the league(s) makes a final announcement.

I went to nearly every game last season and enjoyed every minute.

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You enjoyed every minute? Shit man, I mean, I loved the team, but it was pretty damn hard with that terrible stadium.

21. crewsupport

crewsupport New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC

There might still be hope for Cleveland. A pro team is coming to life in Minnesota after the Thunder's financial problems. I hear it is likely pro-USL.

There might be a USL-1 next season and Cleveland has to be in their plans. I hear USL may also get some clubs from Puerto Rico to get to the required eight. I am also hearing that a club in Detroit is still in the works.

22. Rich P

Rich P Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Cleveland, OH

I think we are seriously grasping at straws here....At this point, we ought to let it die until a group can come forward with the right amount of prepartory time and a clue how to run a professional team without consulting the team pastor first....until then...

23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, last year was ugly (In fact, I have a new saying: "It ain't that bad as long as the chaplain hasn't gotten in anyone's face.")

Yes. we are grasping at straws

However, I'm in favor of "Hastily Assembled FC" over no pro soccer in Cleveland.

24. CCSFan

CCSFan New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    I know some of you guys think there were never any chance of selling the team. There was an interested party that came real close to buying the club. Aaron and the front office did a lot of work to get the deal done, but it came apart at the end.

I think the NASL/TOA/USL situation is to blame for the folding of the City Stars. The USSF did the right thing by forcing a compromise. Everyone is going to have to act like professionals and do what is best for soccer in America.

There are good people on both sides: Joey Saputo, Tim Holt, Chris Economides. Classy, professional people. I hope they don't forget about us. I don't want the Internationals to be my only choice of soccer here in Cleveland.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't USL kinda kill the sale of the City Star by removing their franchise?