Clear evidence that Donovan is better than Mathis

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by kwikstah, Aug 1, 2002.

1. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    http://wc2002.soccergaming.com/information/star_players.php3

Landon Donovan is the star player for the U.S. Donovan provides the magic, not Mathis. :)

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Re: Re: Clear evidence that Donovan is better than Mathis

Just about as reliable as Reilly's stats.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    who makes this game???? they didn't pick their players very well. Scholes a star but not Ronaldinho? Somehow Roy Keane is a star without playing a second of the World Cup. If your gonna buy a sportsgame, buy it from EA sports. They are actually more accurate than the so called experts. Probably because they spend sooo much time researching players they KNOW how good a player is.

5. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Hehe. Um. It was made by EA sports.

Signature - I'm a cheap bastard

6. usachelsea

usachelsea New Member

Mar 14, 2001
    Actually this game is from EA Sports and it was released in April, long before the whole Roy Keane saga, so they didn't know that he wouldn't be playing in the World Cup. Also this game has Mathis listed as a left-back, so I wouldn't trust everything this game says. Although, in my opinion, Donovan is an overall better player than Mathis.

7. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    they both have good playing times and bad playing times...more good playing times for donovan...

8. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Screenshots didn't make this game look that impressive, although I really liked the look of the stadiums in the game. Considering this is a computer game, I expected a lot more. Instead, the GameCube version of FIFA 2002 looks a lot more impressive to me. Wonder if EA did a rush job on this one.

But then again, these are screenshots.

9. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    sedyh

Heh This game frickin' rocks. Even my friends who think soccer is as boring as golf actually is love it. They come over and we hold big tournaments on boring days. It's a lot of fun. =D

And yeah, they screw up a lot, but only because it was mostly speculation when it was made I think. Ante Razov is on the U.S. team, and JOB's stats suck.

10. brubbabriggs

brubbabriggs New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Mathis is also a left back according to the game...

11. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Re: sedyh

Is DMB in the game?

12. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Finally, I have backing for my "Mathis to left back" thread.

13. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    cgjlk

Yeah, DMB is in the game. He's not as good as Mathis, who isn't nearly as good as Donovan. Hopefully they'll get ome boosts in 2003.

14. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coolest thing about the WC game is that you pretty much have free reign over each country's entire player pool. It was hard to stay faithful to the US crew from this WC when some of the higher rated players were guys like Petke, CJ Brown, Bobby Convey, etc. Actually, they rate Meola higher than either Friedel or Keller!

And, believe it or not, the player on the Nats with the 2nd highest rating behind Donovan is...Jovan Kirovski. I think he is a 79 to Donovan's 81. Amazing, huh??

15. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A player gets a "Star" for having a 7 rating in one of their designated categories. whether it be strength, speed, pass, shot, etc. It's possible that Ronaldinho has 6 out of 7 across the board, so he still kicks butt, he's just not a "Star". In fact, he could even be rated higher than Scholes, depending on the rest of Scholes ratings in his "non-Star" categories.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    PLEASE, pretty please, start this one.

Sachin

17. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough, Mathis is also a LB in FIFA 2002, the game preceding World Cup 2002. If the new game is anything like the one I have, though, you can go to the player editor and make the stats/team reflect real life (like Kirovski's reverse Michael Jackson into DMB)

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Clear evidence that Donovan is better than Mathis

No, the stats are extremely reliable. I'll once again go out on a limb and bet that Beckham and Owen will have good statistical years (goals and assists/90 minutes). As will Barry Bonds (OPS,etc.).

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: cgjlk

At this point, Mathis is so much better than Donovan it's not funny. I'm hoping Donovan will eventually reach or maybe exceed the Mathis level.

20. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Re: Re: cgjlk

I'm talking about in the game.

And Eric515 I think we're talking about different games. I have '2002 Fifa World Cup' and you probably have that other one, like 'Fifa World Cup' or something. There's a bit of a difference in the two. In this one there's no Petke or Convey or even Meola.

21. Choch

Choch New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    South TX
    hmmm....why does England have the most star players? The game makers were perhaps a little biased.

22. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Possesion is 9/10ths of the law.

23. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Re: Re: cgjlk

Uh huh.

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the dumbest thread ever on BigSoccer?

25. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    Unfortunately no