Clavijo resigns

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by todspurs, Aug 20, 2008.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Two words...

Punc tuation

2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I join those who sense relief and hope, now that the agony is over. For me, Clavijo Liberation Day happened November 20, 2007, when the RFO formally announced that FC would coach this season. I finally had enough, decided I didn't want to spend tons of money on another season ticket package to watch more Fernando-ball, and basically went on strike. It took 274 days, but the strike is over. I have followed the Rapids closely during the strike, but refrained from posting.

I do wish Fernando the best in his future endeavors and do hope that all is well with his family. I hope that for most of us the desire to see Clavijo leave was not personal. He simply was not a solid coach, and and the team consistently floundered during his tenure. For me, that was the bottom line.

The new coach will inherit a major rebuilding project. The current talent level is suspect. With a couple exceptions, the better players are older, and may not have many seasons left. The young guns who haven't departed for greener pitches have suffered terribly from a lack of solid coaching, and will need TLC to develop to their potential. For many of them, they essentially are still rookies. Sadly, this team isn't one or two moves from Cup contention. It is several years away.

I hope the RFO reaches out to the many of us who just couldn't take another season with FC. It was gut-wrenching for many of us to walk away this season from the team we so passionately supported since 1996. We are good fans, and still care deeply for the team and the individual players. We just want to see the RFO show both by commitment and by action that it cares about success on the field. The coaching change was a good first step, though it came many months too late, and came several games after this season was already lost. I look forward to seeing what the RFO does to get this team headed in the right direction.

I will return as a season ticket holder next year. Unfortunately, of the group of four of us who held season tickets just a year ago, it looks like I will be the only one returning. This season cost the Rapids three long-time fans, and cost me the fun of watching games with three close friends, and that is a shame.

Here's hoping that better days are ahead.

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I spent the day working and didn't even think to check BigSoccer today and then boom. Clavijo gone.

Totally unexpected and at this point, probably too little too late for the Rapids to salvage the season, but then again, no one is great in the Western Conference. Houston is good, LA may be revived with Arena but I don't think they have the personnel, RSL doesn't have it, nor Chivas... Why not the Rapids?

Clavijo had this to say... ""I want to thank the fans and the players for all their support and I know I leave the team today in a much better state then when I took it, there's not doubt about it," Clavijo said.

I gotta say to some extent I agree. I think this team as a unit from the starting XI to the reserves is a stronger team than it was when the Christmas Poo was shown the door. Now to what extent FC is responsible for that improvement is probably a subject for much debate, but considering the depressing 3 1/2 years with FC at the helm, I'll be a happy man not having to blame/hear/suspect/curse the name "Clavijo" for the rest of the season.

Still, I'm divided... I respect the RFO for allowing FC to resign with dignity while at the same time completely dissing them for allowing FC to stick around past the fiasco of last season.

I will say this, the Rapids are playing better soccer this year then they have since 2003 when Spenny was the captain. The results haven't been there, but with the right mentality from Gary Smith, this team can contend with Houston (who is the Rapids black dog, no doubt about it) for the Western Conference playoff championship - they won't catch them in the regular season though.

4. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Thank you Rapids for finally doing the right thing! Thank you to the poster of this clever and well articulated email. As most have forgotten, I've started several "Fire Clavijo" posts in the past and truly believe that Clavijo was a huge part of the problem. While I have no faith in the front office, I did note that the "interim" coach took a refreshing tact this past week. His first team and substitute choices indicate that the past performances of key players are not up to an acceptable standard. This seems a clear departure (in my opinion) from the previous mentality and seemingly a necessary step in improving the performance of the team.

As for Fernando, I would have bought him a bus (yes I mean BUS) ticket to Cuba and some water wings with my own money. How did that go again coach? You wanted to make the playoffs and then give a refund to the fans? Actually it worked the other way around. You didn't make the playoffs and and that's when I got my money back. Guess I owe a call to Marcus as well.

5. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Badger, the fact that you sought me out tonight to ensure that I would check out "Clavijo's video" is only less appaling than the fact that I actually like the "Rick-Rolling" song...

...I listened to the whole thing!!!

G'Day...Ron :p

6. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should make sure that the players actually show up to the game on Saturday before we go claiming the MLS cup. We have a pretty big uphill battle ahead of us and if everyone is on board i think well be good. but a few losses and we are out for good and it will be another REALLLLY long off season!

Heres to a shorter offseason!

7. ringshot

ringshot New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Just to put things into perspective, a Rapids representative told me tonight that Clavijo's brother has passed on. Having two brothers at very physical crossroads, I can't help but have sympathy and express my sincere and deepest wishes that he and his family find peace.

Peace...Ron

8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    WOW! That's sad. Fernando and family have my sympathy.

9. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    + ONE

10. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    What an unfortunate tragedy. My sympathies are with the Clavijo family.

I hope some of you feel better now. There was an emergency, there was tragedy. :rolleyes: Maybe next time you'll learn just because you think something doesn't mean you have to tell the world. Even better, maybe you'll learn to wait for the facts to appear before an opinion is formed, especially when it involves peoples families and lives.

I hope any of his FC's family and friends weren't reading the shit people were saying.

11. Ace7

Ace7 Member

May 1, 2006
    + ONE

12. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sympathy to the Clavijo family, here in the US and in Uruguay.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks DJ for saying what I've been thinking. And my thoughts go out to Clavijo and his family.

14. SoccaJ

SoccaJ Member

Colorado Rapids
    Jun 25, 2007
    Firestone, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my defense, because I would hate to get lumped into the group of miscreants who actually CLAIMED the family emergency was BS - I never doubted there was a family emergency.

My point (and I believe if you read my posts you will agree) was that a family emergency would be an appropriate and "face-saving" way for Clavijo to resign instead of being fired.

Having said that, I also extend my deepest condolences to the Clavijo family for their loss.

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Ugh - Fernando's not that old - so a brother wouldn't be that old :( Sucks.

I argue FC did leave the team better than he found it. Hanki left the team with zero talent. Maybe FC didn't get the results - but the skill level of the team is more on par with MLS than Hanki's final team was - that I've no doubt!

16. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    First...I specifically didn't quote anyone because I honestly don't know what's going on in the mind of the people who post. Who has genuine feelings of concern and is honestly just wondering out loud (which, under these circumstances, I'm personally uncomfortable with) and who is just paying lip service to being concerned. Everyone knows their own intentions and feelings, I don't.,

Second...The amount of venom I've seen on this board for FC and the RFO and KSE, is alarming. It goes beyond, in my mind, what simply not liking the play on the field or disagreement on rules in the stadium should generate. It has gotten personal. The posts about FC's recent decision to go home are consistent with the tone of many posts on this forum. It's the reason I stopped posting for a while. People need to get a grip and recognize the difference between watching a sport and "real life". What happened with FC is real life. Family is paramount, more important than sports and careers.

Sorry, I'll put my soapbox and BigSoccer pen away again for awhile.

17. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peace and condolances to FC and his family, but lifes most calamitous moments often afford us the greatest clarity. I think he has picked the correct option, for himself and the Rapids. This is where it was heading anyways.

That being said, two things: First, this team is a better team than when he took it over and its a better team than even last years Rapids. I agree with that comment of his, but I had to think about it.

Second, and this is mostly related to the sock that tried to enlighten us to the aspect that this team is owned by a dis-interested (in the Rapids at least) billionaire that has to my knowledge not even attended a Rapids game. Thanks, but we dorks on BigSoccer, at least the majority, know that Clavijo is not the only turd in the washer at this "club". We know the outlook is not rosy by anymeans. There are a lot of threads on BS relating to every point you make in your post, but regardless new, intelligent and informed voices are welcome anytime.

I liked FC every time I met him and he seemed a genuine nice guy, I wish him nothing but luck and success. I can also accept his hands were tied here in ways I will never know and might not understand even if you drew me a schematic, but the job was not being done and that is the position, glory in victory and pitiless dispatch in defeat.

Cheers to Rapids fans everywhere, and heres to new beginnings.

18. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sadly, the sock missed on all three of these points.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's not true, it was his first post so he was obviously new. :D

20. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is the 'personal emergency' then my condolences, my best wishes to FC and my sincere regret for doubting the story. Like Fernando, he would be youngish, and losing a brother is brutal. Godspeed.

21. Home n dry

Home n dry New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A sad ending, indeed, for Fernando. Count me as one who does agree that he left us a more talented and entertaining team than he found. But he never was able to put the pieces together for a consistent winner, whether as a result of poor coaching skills or front office bungling or both (the last being my vote). So as with many sad endings, one feels a sense of relief. I hope FC finds peace in his personal life, and another more suitable job somewhere in someone else's front office. Because he seems like a nice guy.

As to the sock, if you want to spend your time rehashing in a dark, ominous tone the many RFO conspiracy theories that abound here (DEEP SOCK?), who am I to judge? But two questions:

1. If you know little about MLS, why are you so sure you know what Rapids fans' real problem' is? and

2. If you come on an MLS board and suggest that we solve our 'problem' by following an English side, does that make you a EUROSOCK? :)

22. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    [​IMG]??

23. Ace7

Ace7 Member

May 1, 2006
    We're so welcoming, aren't we? His first post, and he's getting ripped and lectured left, right, and center.

He should fit in ok then. :)

Reckon quite a few know little about the MLS or what the 'real' Rapids problem is. At least he has the nads to admit it. ;)

24. FutbolCrazy

FutbolCrazy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 5, 2002
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead !!!!!

25. savelints8

savelints8 Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So is Beckerman coming back now?

Can we trade Ballouchy back to FSL for him?