Clavijo resigns

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by todspurs, Aug 20, 2008.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

I was thinking Marion might be a better name...

2. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

These quotes paint you out perfectly clear ... stick to your TV and EPL ... meanwhile we'll support MLS while it's still building.

3. elchupon

elchupon New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Second Post…
    Genuinely hope the parade lasts my friends. Just trying to keep a realistic view and point out where your real problem lies…that’s all.

:)

4. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland

See, that is the problem, we don't want YOU to tell US , OUR problems, we do just fine talking about it AMONGST OURSELVES...

FERNANDO

5. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Gee thanks ... what would we have ever done without you!!??

Can you explain offsides to us too?? That's a tough one for Americans.

6. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    Blah blah....he was a nice guy and all sure but either way listen for this soon:

Ding Dong Clavijos gone !!
    .....the piss poor coach of
    the west is gone!!

Ding Dong Clavijos finally gone!!!!!!

I say good day :)

7. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Great first posts brother! However your suggestion of flowing an EPL power house is so silly. Do glory hunters even feel joy in victory? All of our current suffering will come out with such great joy when our day comes, because we are real fans.

8. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...So, that means we're not Really True Fans anymore?

9. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    Do they have Starbucks in Uruquay?

On another note, yes of course we all realize that Jeff Plush and Charlie Wright are not taking us to the promised land. As best I can tell, neither are true soccer professionals.

BUT, we can hope for this year that Gary Smith will inject some energy into the Rapids that will result in enough wins to move up in the a very mediocre Western conference. I see no reason the Rapids shouldn't be able to. Maybe even to qualify for SuperLiga next year.

And, then to hope that Plush and co. actually do hire that talked about knowledgeable Technical Director who can then build a team.

And although I may be over-rating some of our players, it does appear that unlike with the Haki era (not much other than Kyle Beckerman, Joe Cannon, Pablo, and Peguero) that there is some good young and also some decent older experienced talent here for the next coach.

10. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was FC a good soocer player? Of course he was. He has done a lot for soccer in this country. Just because he was a good player doesn't mean he is a good coach. He was a crap coach in New England and he was a crap coach here. What would be his excuse in New England? Less talented players and a poor FO? Seems like Steve Nicol has done ok there.

Is/was FC the only problem with the Rapids, NO. Many people have pointed out the problems with the RFO and it would silly to go through them all right now. Getting rid of FC is a step in the right direction. The next step would be getting rid of Plush and Wright. Does Wright even do anything? It seems like Plush and others are the ones always calling the shots.

11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    oh snap! that's funny! I should have said true fans. hahaha

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the corporate website, no.

Pressure is on Plush now. Up to this point he's been able to hide behind Clavijo, but now its on him to get a good coach and put a winner together. No more excuses.

13. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in also.

After 11 years on and 1 off, I am going to get tix thru the end of the season. I don't ask that the Raps win every game; only that they act like they think it is a worthy goal.

15. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland
    Are you completely positive that he is really in Uraguay? Really?

16. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the parts that all good socks overlook on this matter.

Am I the only one who thinks it would have been perfect irony if he had been fired after a loss to New England? (being as a loss to Colorado was his last game in charge of NE...)

17. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously?!?! :eek:

18. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stop smiling. i've thought of everything depressing that has ever happened to me in my life (and the list is long), but i can't seem to stop smiling. it's like lockjaw without the whole body going stiff and dying thing. I'll call it happy lockjaw

19. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be debated - Hanki didn't leave much for FC.

20. ManU62280

ManU62280 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Colorado
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but he certainly didn't take them to the next level. At least in Hanki's last season he had more wins than losses. Clavijo can't say that during his time in Colorado.

21. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morale seems to already be up by us fans!
    So I propose we give the Rapids a standing ovation when they take the field the next home match....

Just to show we really do care....
    And that since our O' so passionate of a coach is gone, then we could let us be back to bieng "real true fans"

Gary, Gary Smith.....
    We Love Gary Smith.....

C'mon you Rapids
    Ole' Ole' Ole'

22. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC says "Goodbye"

We say HELLO to....

Gary Smith....

And hopefully a chance at an MLS CUP!

[youtube]QShSmpI0r9k[/youtube]

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I was just answering the question of if there were Starbucks in Uruguay.

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Wow. What a wonderful surprise to come home to!

I didn't see this coming. I had long ago resigned myself that Clavijo wasn't going to just up and quit on his own and the front office wasn't going to spend any money to encourage him to move on.

More so, I hope that a his resignation is not a sign that a close family member of his is doing very, very poorly. Sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know why he went back? Like could it be that his mom or dad or someone close to him has inoperable cancer or something like that?

In all seriousness, I wish Fernando Clavijo the best of luck. Not being a very good coach in the MLS isn't something to brag about. But it's not something to be ashamed of. Most people couldn't even get into that position.

The question now is does the front office have the ability and resources to hire a good coach?

25. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the list of Metrobull coaches. Being a lousy coach in MLS includes some notable names.