Clattenburg to Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Pierre Head, Feb 15, 2017.

1. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
  2. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It was announced that he would work out the reminder of the season and then make the move. But then again has been scheduled to work a game in Saudi some day soon too so it seems it isn't as simple as that.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it was announced he would work the remainder of the season in England, per his contract. Nothing was ever said about him working in Europe and, in fact, his absence from the Winter Course in Malaga technically was supposed to mean he was ineligible to work the rest of the UEFA season. So this is big news. Does this mean we will see Clattenburg in the UCL quarters or semis?

For Collina to show he's willing to use Clattenburg after his "retirement" sends an interesting signal... if Collina still wants Clattenburg in Russia for 2018, that potentially puts the FA in a very awkward position where they either have to renominate him for FIFA status in 2018 despite not being an active ref in their domestic league (and incur the wrath, I'm sure, of most referees in England) or not have a referee at the World Cup for the first time ever (since England joined FIFA) if Oliver is not considered ready and Atkinson is considered too old.

4. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005

FWIW, Oliver is undoubtedly more ready than many of the referees from other countries that will be at the WC-18,
    but I see what you mean.

PH

HoustonRef repped this.
  5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What are the chances of him representing Saudi Arabia in Russia? Or is there a better chance of Alan Kelly representing the US in Russia?

jarbitro repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Undoubtedly. But if UEFA sends 9 or 10 referees, as expected, Oliver would have to jump over several referees who regularly work UCL knockout matches, while he's never been at that stage. Politically, it could appease England, but it would cause problems with other UEFA members.

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Are the selections Confederation based, or National Federation based? In other words do England, Germany, Spain, Italy etc always get one each so that they are the ones who choose from their own group regardless of who goes from other countries?

PH

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are confederation based, but the politics of pleasing certain national federations has been a reality for a long time. That being said, France didn't get a referee at 2014 for the first time ever, I believe. So Collina and others aren't afraid to rock the boat now. That's what must be scary for England. If this was 2002, I guarantee Oliver would be going (since Atkinson would officially be too old). Today? I think all bets are off.

Pierre Head repped this.
  9. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree that all bets are off. With Collina as the chairman of the FIFA referee committee and the chief refereeing officer for UEFA - I assume that hasn't been changed - he has pretty broad discretion.

Also, although this is just informed speculation, I THINK that there will be less political maneuvering regarding which referees are appointed to which tournaments/matches.

Simply put, with ongoing US and Swiss investigations into FIFA, I think there will be a lot less willingness to trade appointments for political favors. It will never go away, of course, but I think it will be less prominent and there will be more discretion for the referee committee(s).

In the future, I think it will be left to the referee committee and the leaders of those committees will have broad discretion. They will still have their favorites, but those favorites will probably have a lot of leeway.

And to be perfectly honest, why shouldn't it be that way? It's what we do with national team players - citizens of their country are eligible to play for their country, no matter where they do - why should it be any different for referees?

There are policies that prohibit this now, of course, but those are just FIFA policies and a lot easier to change than the Laws.

As I said, I don't have any special information, just well informed speculation.

I would be surprised, but encouraged, if Clattenburg were to go to Russia next year.

We will see, I suppose...

10. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MassachusettsRef, SouthRef and cmonref repped this.
  11. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just saw this and was going to post - nice pickup!

At this level, very little (if anything) is an accident. There are a few faces that are clearly presented: Busacca, Collina, Kuipers, Mazic, Clattenburg, Makkelie, and al Jassim (Qatar).

No guarantees, of course, but this was posted 4/7. Clearly, Collina likes him and I'm sure he could not possibly care less where he is working.

Just my $0.02...

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fascinating.

I have little doubt that Collina wants to use Clattenburg in Russia next year and this is a pretty big signal. He's also used him in an EL match since the announcement of the move. It puts the FA in an awkward spot, as I said--will they make him a FIFA from England for 2018? Do they need to do so?

Separately, I noticed Marrufo was at this seminar as well, while he hasn't been on the pre-selected list for the World Cup (as he was for 2010 and 2014). My understanding is that he could get tied to Geiger as his VAR, which would be pretty interesting.

Judging from the growing list of referees, the fact that VAR is prominently featuring in the prep sessions, and the comments from Elleray on the recent IFAB video (about how a final decision could be taken in 2019 now), it seems like a foregone conclusion that VAR is going to be at the 2018 World Cup. And that means a total reworking/expansion of who the WC referee candidates are and who the VAR candidates will be. Geiger-Marrufo is one thing. What about England now? Is Oliver going to be Clattenburg's VAR? Will FIFA tie VARs to CRs in every instance, to make a quad group of officials (rather than a trio)? Or will VARs be more roaming, like reserve officials?

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Clattenburg-refereed-Premier-League-tie.html

Who knows how much accuracy there is to this article, but it seems that Clattenburg's U-turn to come back to the EPL was forced on by Collina/FIFA. It's pretty clear that PGMOL and Mike Reilly want nothing to do with him and want to move on. There really is no other reason why Clattenburg is still in PGMOL.

If Clattenburg does end up going to Russia after, essentially, going 18 months without consistent week to week assignments, then you might as well pencil him in for the Final right now and every other referee is going for a semi-final or 4th official on the Final.

Clattenburg is great and I understand that at the highest levels exceptions leeway will be made for the best referees. There was an MLS referee that did a playoff game years ago on essentially one leg due to injury, but the league/assignors made an exception for him because they like the way he refereed so much.

But to take Clattenburg would be a stretch too far for me. I just don't know how Clattenburg will be able to get enough games to justify his selection for Russia in the next year or so, unless they deem the Saudi League enough.

I just don't know know how they can tell the other referees in contention for Russia that form and performances matter and you take Clattenburg who goes on a 18 month sabbatical.

Either way it will be absolutely fascinating to watch.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this. There are so many angles here.

I would think there's something missing from the reporting. If Collina were truly pressuring Riley and the PGMOL over Clattenburg's return this season, then surely he'd be applying the same pressure to make him available next season, too, right? Because that's what's actually important. If he's not working in the fall of 2017 in England, then he's not supposed to be working in the UCL for 2017-18 and he's not supposed to be on the FIFA list for 2018 and that's what matters. Unless Collina is willing to take him without a FIFA badge or create another way to give him a FIFA badge? And if he's willing to do that, the question then becomes, like you said, whether or not he's also willing to send Clattenburg to the World Cup with essentially full year off from competitive soccer (aside from whatever games he works in Saudi Arabia).

Clattenburg is great, but I really don't like the precedent this would establish and the process that would need to occur to get him to Russia. No referee should be above the established system because it draws too much attention to them and it potentially creates ill will with colleagues. The Mail article makes a good point about clubs in England not wanting the "sideshow" that might accompany Clattenburg's last game. When we're talking about a sideshow because of a referee, then something is out of whack. Will any team want the "sideshow" of Clattenburg doing their match in Russia if he's there under special circumstances and with a special dispensation? He made a choice and I think he should have to accept the accompanying consequences.

15. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Would clattenburg be able to do UCL matches and UEL matches as a substitute? Granted its only a couple games a month but its better then not doing any matches.

16. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would have to disagree with at least part (although not all) of this.

The system exists to serve the game, not the other way around. There are restrictions on referees that really don't hold up well.

Ultimately, you want the best referees for the best games. While not working at a high level of competition for a long time will prevent you from being your best, I think the restrictions (such as you have to work in your own nation/confederation) do more harm than good.

I think it makes the system more political, not less. It locks people in to situations where personality conflicts between administrators and referees are inescapable - I'm sure we all have stories where very good refs didn't move forward because of local political conflicts that were completely avoidable.

So, I guess I should say I concur in part and dissent in part.

No one should be above the rules

AND

A lot of the rules are ineffective and actually harm the game and referee development

Maybe we can find a way to resolve the conflict between these (although I'm not optimistic)...

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you're saying @SouthRef. And I agree you want the best referees on the most important games. By that standard, Clattenburg should be in Russia next year.

But the problem is he will be a special exception if that occurs, which leads to the ill will and the political issues that you referenced---except they'll be at the FIFA-level, rather than domestically. The restrictions that are currently in place, about working in your own domestic league, may not be good for some referees (while it's certainly good for others). But unless and until those restrictions are completely lifted, I just find it unfair to ignore them for one referee, particularly when there is so much media attention on that single referee.

Also, I'd quibble with the argument that the restrictions on referees don't serve the game, because it depends on how you're looking at service to the game. Take a guy like Mazic, for example. If he flees Serbia to go work the Premier League, how does that help development of referees in Serbia where he has so much knowledge/experience and he's bringing 5 guys with him to every UEFA appointment? Same could be said, as much as I personally don't regard him, of Irmatov and Uzbekistan. Skomina in Slovenia is another. If you lifted all the rules and let the best referees move freely--either to the top leagues or the most lucrative ones--you will hurt referee development and the quality of officiating in those top domestic leagues. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

SouthRef repped this.
  18. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The development point is a good one - i'll definitely agree with that.

I would hope that in the future, things won't be so binary - we will be able to use the best referees in the best games, while still allowing them to develop the grass roots. They do that now, of course, but only after they have retired.

There may not be a good solution to this, but I think a significant part of the problem are FIFA's rigid policies. I agree that exceptions shouldn't only be made for Clattenburg, but maybe he can start the trend. Exceptions can, and should, be made more often.

No idea how to make this happen, of course, but I would hope it's being considered somewhere. Maybe this will shake things up a bit for the better...