Clattenburg to Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Pierre Head, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this hard to believe. Especially the speculation about MLS seems to be based on the fact Webb is now working for PRO and nothing else. I feel any move to China or MLS after this season would potentially mean he would lose his FIFA badge (only if it was for a year or two) thus scarring his chances for the '18 World Cup. This is a referee in top form now so he certainly has an eye on 2018 and another illustrious final.

2. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I agree about the FIFA badge stuff, and thought the same myself. However, these items in the British newspapers are quite often correct, e.g the appointment of Walton before it was officially announced, the appointment of Webb, and to a lesser extent the appointment of Kelly.
    It could be that it will be delayed until after the 2018 WC, (which is of course only a year and a half away now) but it does seem as though he is interested in cashing in on his reputation with commercial activities, having done some already and perhaps a higher income, although he would probably get more in China than in MLS.
    Celebrity referees in other countries have cashed in with work in commercials, most notably Signor Collina, which was the reason he retired early apparently.

PH

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected (with his respect to him leaving). This does raise some questions/points:

1. Will he lose (even if temporary) his FIFA status or will he have FIFA status in Saudi Arabia

2. If he does maintain/regain FIFA status before 2018, does this move hurt his chances of going to the 2018 WC? He surely remains a good referee but he will be officiating what will probably be lesser games and I would not be surprised if some of the highers up in FIFA are not thrilled about his move.

3. Part of me speculates that with this move Clattenburg may of set a precedent. I am thinking this might inspire other high level referees to entertain offers from other Federations and go to the "highest bidder". For example (and keep in mind this a purely hypothetical situation) what would prevent Marciniak from moving to Italy or England to referee in their top division if they offer him 2-3x the salary he makes in Poland. This might start the movement of the best referees not staying in their 'homeland' FA and going to where they are most valued like players.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't be a FIFA referee in Saudi Arabia unless they give him citizenship, which I can't imagine is going to happen (or is even allowed). He won't be a FIFA referee from Saudi Arabia.

The question of whether or not he maintains his status in England is an interesting one. On the one hand, he's a lock for UEFA matches and FA Cup matches (when home) and, of course, a World Cup 2018 trip, if he stays on the list. But what does England owe him now? Why would the FA renominate him for the list in 2018? Could you imagine what Martin Atkinson would say? Oliver? Others? It's not just simply a question of national pride--all of his colleagues will be pushing for him to be off the list now because, frankly, he's no longer a colleague. And if Clattenburg went to Russia and performed poorly, imagine the media attention and scrutiny the FA would face over that decision. If this is up to the FA, then his international career would be (and, in my opinion, should be) done.

Of course, Collina might have a say in the matter and it's entirely possible he was consulted before this decision was made. Not sure if it's been discussed here yet, but Collina is now the Chairman of the FIFA Referees Committee, so he now has the final say in UEFA and at the World Cup. If Collina wants Clattenburg, you'll still see Clattenburg at the World Cup somehow, I'm sure. Just not sure what the mechanics will be around that. How does he even train with his team? For UEFA, it's a standard on-field 5-person team that works together. For FIFA, at the moment, a standard trio. He can't work with these people regularly in Saudi Arabia.

The more I think about this, the more I believe Clattenburg's international career should be done both for practical and political purposes. It's the right decision. Doing anything else is putting one single referee above the entire system and promoting him in a way that no referee--Collina included--ever has been. I could be wrong, since this is unprecedented. We'll just have to wait and see.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Webb left his position in Saudi Arabia to come to MLS; perhaps Clattenburg is taking the position Webb
    left, and not going there just as a referee. I would imagine the salary would be very substantial.

PH

cmonref repped this.
  7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    It was probably in the pipeline, but I wonder if the fuss over the Sanchez goal last weekend
    was the final straw for him with PGMOL?

PH

8. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    My thought as well. Though I assume he's going as an on-field referee. But you can't ignore the fact that hiring Clattenburg could obviously be for Webb's old job, which would make this entire discussion moot.

He has never been one to make a lot of friends, but if England removes Clattenburg, then they won't have a referee at the 2018 FIFA World Cup. They'd have to take Atkinson, who would be 47 years old, and get his team from Euro 2016...and put them in the running for the World Cup less than 12 months until they make a decision.

I think it's 100% that he spoke to Collina and an answer - one way or another - is already done.

If he's going to Saudi Arabia on the field, I think the only reason England sticks with him and his badge for now is to keep a WC slot for their referee. And I think they do it.

I mean, they have to watch someone from England after the round robin play is done...

AremRed repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tell you one thing... I would be LIVID if I was one of Clattenburg's ARs. This could have just sent their World Cup chances from a guarantee to an impossibility, depending upon how the FA reacts and adjusts.

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think it's just so unprecedented, that we have nothing to fall back on to look for guidance as to what happens next. We've never had a such a top level referee do this.

We've had referees quit outright like Frisk in the peak of their careers, but never move to another country to referee.

I think Clattenburg is done as well. The fact that he couldn't even wait to see out the rest of the season means he is probably done in the CL as well this year.

So Atkinson in Russia?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If is he taking an admin position I wonder for all intents and purposes he is retired from active refereeing? I know the possibility was brought up that he might ref one or two matches in Saudi Arabia for kicks and giggles. But a lot of questions left to be answered for sure.

@MassachusettsRef Would it be appropos to move this thread to the general referee forum as this obviously does not pertain to MLS anymore?

cmonref and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this decision and eventuality is a lot more likely than you do. Atkinson has a wonderful EURO, is still getting UCL knockout matches (it appears) and the guy who has all the confidence in him in Europe, Collina, is calling the shots for Russia now, too. If England wants Atkinson at Russia, they can have him. I have very little doubt on that aspect.

I agree on this part.

But again, I don't think this is a real concern. Atkinson would be a top 7 selection from UEFA if Clattenburg didn't exist. The only reason he wasn't on the list was because of Clattenburg. Now Clattenburg is gone. Unless Collina is making an exception, Atkinson easily fills that void.

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This part won't happen at least in the top leagues in Europe. More guys may leave for China, Middle East, US and other small soccer nations and leagues for nice pay days, but you're not gonna see someone like Skomina, Mazic or Kassai suddenly go to the EPL, La Liga or Serie A.

One, all those countries are very prideful about their referee programs and referees. They all believe they have the best group of referees in the world.

What would that say if they bring someone from the outside?

Also, Spain and Italy are pretty xenophobic as countries.

Two, the process to actually become a first division regular referee in Spain and Italy is very difficult. It's a league system for the referees. The top three referees according to their evaluation scores get promoted to the top division and the bottom three get demoted to the second division.

Bringing some one from the outside just throws everything out of wack.

I could be wrong, but we are still ways away from referees moving around like players to the highest bidder. Although, this is a start...

14. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.periscope.tv/saudiFF/1MYxNLadgvpGw

For those who are interested, here is the press conference unveiling Clattenburg in Saudi Arabia. Haven't watched so I am not sure how much it is in English or if Clattenburg says something of note (his status as a referee or on the FIFA list).

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a report that Clattenburg didn't attend the UEFA Winter Course in Spain two weeks ago, which is pretty much mandatory for FIFA officials in UEFA competitions. Today's news would suggest that we now have a good explanation for his absence.

It also suggests further that he is definitely done in UEFA.

The next knockout assignments in the UCL are going to be very interesting. Will have to pay attention to Atkinson's team to see what's going on with the WC. Also a possibility that Oliver or Taylor gets a match now.

16. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah, figure this makes the most sense. The articles mention him officiating some games but it sounds more like he's taking over Webb's administrative duties.

He's had so many clashes and issues with the hierarchy in England that maybe he just got tired of it.

I'm sure the Men In Blazers are mourning.

17. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Well, I've always thought that pretty much every level of soccer refereeing above rec is hopelessly underpaid, from elite youth to FIFA.

I'm guessing the Saudis made Clatts an offer he can't refuse. I hope they are paying him seven figures. It's about time these top refs get some fraction of the reward they deserve for the sacrifices and criticisms that are heaped upon them.

cmonref and akindc repped this.
  18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yeah, he'll be driving around in something like this ...

[​IMG]

jarbitro repped this.
  19. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    I have to wonder how many matches he will work in Saudi wearing long sleeves.

20. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I have to agree that he's probably finished in FIFA/UEFA/WC18, but...

What does it matter?

I think we all know referees who have dedicated their lives to the game, only to finish working their high level games and then what? At least two decades dedicated to the craft and then get handed a nice watch and plaque, and nothing else.

Even if he were holding out for the WC Final, what else could that give him that he doesn't have already?

No one here (or at FIFA, or UEFA or UCL or EPL) will cry at his funeral.

Can't say I would criticize him for this at all.

Alberto repped this.
  21. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/committees/committee=1882029/

Probably deserves it's own thread here, but nice promotion for Brian Hall and Sandy Hunt.

msilverstein47 and IASocFan repped this.
  22. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    He is pretty close to aging out in the eyes of those in charge. He will bring a positive impact in the development and training of officials in Saudi Arabia. I wish him the best of luck in this next chapter of his career.

23. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's 41, at the top of his profession, 18 months out from what would be the culmination of his career at a WC, sitting as the odds on favorite to hold the whistle in the final. Martin Atkinson is 47 and having a fine international season. Age and it's limitations are not what they once were. I have to think there is more to it than he's "aging out".

Having said that, I wish him the best as well.