CL Semi-final (1st leg): Liverpool vs Roma (April 24th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    2 little games away from a CL final......

2. kune

kune Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We have better goalie, defence and midfield. Kinda crazy that our squad is better on paper in cl semis.

Anyways these games are not decided on paper but on field. Their forwards are scary and our dee must be able to contain them.

3. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    How do you compare the players? Liverpool outplayed City, a team superior compared to Roma's and Liverpool's teams. They could possibly overrun us and leave no room to play for anything in the 2nd leg. Imo, if we don't fvk up badly in this leg, we can advance at home where we're yet to concede in this CHL's campain

SF19 repped this.
  4. kune

kune Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And Roma overrun Barca which have superior squad compared to City and basically every team in the world.

Like I said these games aren't played on paper but pitch.

5. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think EDF is going to be very pragmatic. We are going to allow Liverpool to have possession and force them to push through our 3-5-2. When Liverpool are denied space to run behind, their speed isn't as effective. In many ways, Roma is Liverpool's worst tactical matchup because we won't just come at them like Madrid and Bayern would, which plays into their hands.

Salmeen10 and Marco9 repped this.
  6. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lets see, I too expect EDF to take a different aproach tactically compared to the other opponents. You can say that they're the worst matchup for us too. We need the perfect game just to stop their attack from scoring.

7. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We need a perfect game to stop any CL semi-finalist's attack from scoring on us, period.

At least we'd have the opportunity to reveal their over-rated EPL defence/midfield.

I'd rather we play vs a club who relies on stars from an over-rated local league that cannot do sh*t at any international level competition than a team from a more pragmatic league where they rely on raw individual talent regardless of the player's nationality.

Liverpool are the weakest opponent we could've drawn, so let's get on the pitch and do our best. We'd progress or not, but this is as much in our own hands and it ever could've been at this stage of the competition.

8. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I think Liverpool is similar to Roma in that they are capable of playing incredible football but not all that consistent in so doing.

Klopp's style is also quite rigid which means there's certain teams that seem perfect matchups for them (like City) and others that don't (Tottenham, Sevilla).

They're competing for 4th place because they've had trouble getting consistent results against mid table teams as well.

I think about the same for Roma v Liverpool as I think for Roma v Napoli: any given day the match may end a draw or 3-1 for either team if they start to get a leg up.

The keys for Roma in the away fixture seem:

1) Our midfield pressures them but without committing wing backs too high. This may not lead to clear breakaways off lost balls but hopefully turns match into midfield war instead of track meet.

2) In possession we need to do what we did against Barca: play around the pressure deep in our half only for a couple of touches/passes to get time/space to play the ball up to Dzeko. Dzeko against there CBs holding up and laying off should be an advantage for us.

I would add that it will be interesting to see if Di Fra plays Under (for his speed in getting behind) or Schick (mismatch to play ball in air to against there fullbacks to help against press).

Shen-O, Goduerza and Oban14 repped this.
  9. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool are huge favorites and rightly so; they will be expecting a thumping, maybe even an easy victory. Even though, I do not believe we will reach the final - I think we will get very close. No need to waste energy and take so many risks at Anfield, we can do this at the Olimpico.

I doubt Schick will start, I assume our Zeman-lover will want pace against Liverpool to try and nick a goal on the counter attack.

No matter what happens; it has been a fantastic CL campaign - the squad must believe in more now though.

chaponga repped this.
  10. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, maybe better he becomes our Ranieri-lover for a day.

Don't really think Liverpool is a huge favorite to go through, though. Probably slight favorites due to how clinical they've been finishing chances.

People really overrate EPL teams when they mainly just look good against each other.

La Magica repped this.
  11. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2-1 Roma Bang Bang!!!

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a friend trying to get tickets what's Roma's away section called/located.

13. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    They struggled immensely against Man Utd, who I think is the closest example of how we will approach the game.

Over 2 legs they couldn't create any real chances and only scored from OG, while Lukaku destroyed them on long balls.

My biggest concern is that we fail to score an away goal if we take this approach, we desperately need one if we are going to reach the final.

That and Juan vs Salah.

Huwaidee, shiboboo and chaponga repped this.
  14. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    La Magica, Huwaidee and chaponga repped this.
  15. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whill4, chaponga and Oban14 repped this.
  16. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    chaponga repped this.
  18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Totti and Gerrard could come out of retirement for this one.

Main objective just needs to be to keep this tie winnable going into Rome. Even a 2-1 loss wouldn't be terrible. We may be inexperienced at this level, but so is this Liverpool squad. I'm expecting both sides to be a bit nervy.

19. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain

20. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really tough. I don't think two CF's will work quite as well as it did against Barca. But Under works so much better as an impact sub compared to Schick.

21. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In addition to Klopp's style being fairly rigid, Liverpool's line-up pretty much picks itself. Even I can recite it already: Karius, Robertson, Lovren, Van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah.

I think EDF can keep Klopp guessing a bit more with his choices. We must be a bit of an enigma for them right now. Daje Roma, we can do this!

22. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see Oxlade-Chamberlain in the midfield. He brings an element of athleticism the others don’t offer.

wm72 repped this.
  23. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I think he will start, his long range shots will be important for Liverpool.

24. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I messed up. Thought about putting him in, then I missed him. He will definitely start.

25. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain