CL Semi-final (1st leg): Liverpool vs Roma (April 24th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We let them kill us on the long ball all day long and didn't care to make a change until it was 5-0.

Where was the urgency at half time, at 2-0...hell, at 3-0? Manage the damn tie. Collect your heads, adjust, managing a 2-0 isn't that much...nick a goal, come back to Rome, etc etc...but they pulled another Roma classic meltdown instead. So damn unprofessional, again.

Oban14, Rosay, Midfield General and 6 others repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree on all counts. And you have to expect a few unfortunate no calls like that in Anfield, you just have to respond better immediately afterwards to make sure they don't turn into goals.

But the same in the Olympio? You remember how long the ref waited to whistle the penalty when Dzeko was brought down vs Barca right?

Midfield General repped this.
  3. PDeGennaro

PDeGennaro Member+

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not to me. The old Roma would have let the game end 5-0 and it would have been like the Bayern fiasco. This Roma was 5-0 down and fought to get it to 5-2 where we have a chance to pass to the next round. I swear some people here are just plain vicious, have some god damn faith on your team. Those unprofessional players just got you to semifinals! Deservedly in my opinion.

Those guys got you a 3-0 victory against Barcelona. I don't consider that a fluke like most people. That's Roma true potential when everyone gives 100%. Our issue is not that we are inferior or less capable but that we don't believe enough in our strength. I for one I am proud of this team and believe they have improved in almost every aspect.

4. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Play a attacking 433 next leg with the ferocity of the Barca game and 3 goals will be no problem, first 15 minutes they couldn’t get into the game.
    And the last 10 minutes we when we decided to wake up there were 2 goals in 5 minutes.

But if we lose it’s been a good run and I’m proud of this team for making it this far.

5. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for wanting some consistency and expecting changes when the game DEMANDED them. We threw this away and we have a right to be upset. I don't want roller coasters every single match. It could have been managed a lot better once the damage was done.

Oban14, Midfield General, Moebek and 3 others repped this.
  6. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think what's most disappointing is simply that just us regular fans were saying before the match that nothing was as important as Kolarov being cautious to not leave Juan Jesus in constant 1 v 1s with Salah.

That's not 3 man backline problem. In theory, the 3 man backline should actually facilitate dealing with those long passes if the wingback isn't playing as a second winger.

On Salah's side, where it counted, the formation might as well have been 3-3-5 -- something even a vintage Pep Guardiola Barca side only managed by frenetic, immediate pressing and Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Busquets never losing the ball in an unbalanced moment.

For all Di Francesco has gotten right this season, a lot of what went wrong for Roma today was first day of class in Basic Football 101.

Only thing I can say in his defense is that the roster isn't really conducive to doing what Rudi Garcia did at Man City a few years back -- when he just put 2 left backs out there.

7. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why its so upsetting. We didn’t get balled up, they just punted it and played simple balls. We let the game turn into a track meet...the one thing we all said we could not allow to happen or it would get ugly quick.

Just picturing a street fight where the lightweight guy allows someone bigger to close the gap and slam him.

Oban14 and wm72 repped this.
  8. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #308 Goduerza, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Lol Liverpool could have won 8-2? What are those Liverpool fans doing here anyway?

It's obvious what happened. EDF got the tactics wrong, took too long to adjust, and fullbacks didn't bother to defend while we played 3 man defence. It was literally a 3 man defence, because the fullbacks never made it 5 at the back when defending and they should have. It's not that Liverpool are superior, we simply made it easy for them to launch long balls to Salah and let him do his stuff. 4 of the 5 goals came because of him. Take Salah out and Liverpool are nothing extraordinary, sorry guys! Now go back to the hole you came from.

And that guy trying to stir shit up because of some fans being idiots - what say you about the Liverpool fans that pelted City's bus with rocks? Haven't heard your take on that yet.

Shen-O repped this.
  9. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Aw c'mon, nobody is getting personal. Lets not misunderstand one another here.

Why the 'blinkers' comment? It's just that I've noticed you have apportioned blame unfairly on players before, imo. That's all.

10. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Any replays or pictures? Of course the British broadcast only showed it from one angle.

11. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    [​IMG]

you're the guy on the left, btw

12. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Looking back the monring after, the lack of leadership on the pitch was rather worrying. There is enough experience and leadership on the field to adapt to situation last night rather than asking EDF what to do. DDR, Strootman, Ninja, Fazio and Kolarov all went missing, Džeko was the only leader to step up. Granted the tactical set up wasn't giving the others much chance to breathe but I expect better from players with such experience.

forza venti repped this.
  13. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
  14. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    EDF is getting as much blame as the praise he got after Barca. I agree with Rio, I rarely ever blame the manager for losses, but yesterday EDF should take most of the blame. He put our players in a position to fail, they never had a chance.

He basically just went with what worked against Barca, failing to take account of how different Liverpool are.

I hope he can redeem himself in the second leg. I'm not expecting a 3-0 win, but at least a good performance and a win to save face.

ErPupone and Shen-O repped this.
  15. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Sorry about what happened with you.

Your contribution here is always appreciated, and the troll should have been dealt with earlier.

Oban14 and wm72 repped this.
  16. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    EdF has no excuse for not fully understanding his own players strengths and weaknesses at this point and what they can and cant do against each opposition. He deserved praise for the Barca comeback and he deserves criticism in equal measure for last nights shambolic display. We're fortunate it was only embarassing in the end and not a devastating annihilation.

17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    988099308518952960 is not a valid tweet id

2 goals and 2 assists, great job by EDF.

18. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of the few instances where I just do not know if they players could have performed based on what Liverpool was able to exploit. Roma had a 3 man back line with DDR shielding them and two wingbacks who were maybe 5-10 yards too high up the pitch. Liverpool realized after the first 15-20 minutes that they could not play the short passes through the middle so all they did was pump the ball into the channels between the outside CBs and the Wingbacks. Just put it in the channel and wait for the speedsters to get onto the ball. Our CBs aren't quick, other than Manolas, so our high line killed us.

DDR couldn't do anything because he was protecting the middle. Well Liverpool just never went near him. They went around him. Maybe if Kolarov and Florenzi stayed back more, our 5 defenders would have been better defending - but then you get yourself stuck with no way out. If we ever do get the ball free to Dzeko, he will have nobody to lay it off to because Florenzi and Kolarov would be too deep to receive it.

As good as EDF got the tactics right against Barca, he got them wrong against Liverpool. I expect to see a 4-3-3 out there next game with Perotti-Dzeko-SES as our attackers. I don't know if we can actually win 3-0. It would take a monumental performance to keep Liverpool from scoring when they have blitzed every team in the Champions League. But with the Curva behind them, maybe they can.

19. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The long ball tactic worked in the second half when we switched to 4–3-3, Liverpool seriously looked weak

20. KingKennyLFC

KingKennyLFC Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Apr 13, 2018
    LFC Fan here

There are clearly violent idiot fans in all clubs and i hope those who pelted Citys bus get jail time along with those who attacked the guy last night.Now back to what actually matters Footie. Of course Sallah is our main weapon because we use him right, we play to his strengths, we used to play to Suarez strengths. Our style of play is aggressive and all out heavy metal football. if we did not have Sallah, we would have another great player and play to his strengths. Some Roma fans think that removing one player we would be not so good but you would be wrong in that line of thinking. We play a particular brand of football right now that can adapt and overwhelm other teams. Sure, we mess up like any team but lets not pretend we are not a great European club with a great pedigree. Its just our time right now. Maybe Roma will pull it back and maybe they won't. Fact is in the Prem you have to play at 90% + or you will lose. In Italy, Spain the best clubs can play at 70% + and still win. This is why there was 5 English teams in the latter stages of the competition. We all think we support the best team in the world and to us we do. IMO When Liverpool switch it on like they did last night it is a thing of beauty and that can not be denied. Lets stop pretending if they didn't have him or him they would be rubbish, Please. YNWA

21. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Had hopes for Roma before the match until I saw the lineup. You could just see the isolation on Fazio and Jesus if they were to get in behind the full backs. It was like Germany vs Brazil where Germany simply countered behind Marcelo who was constantly caught up the pitch. Not to mention Firmino is really the one that makes it all happen, he’s the glue to that front line by pulling defenders and making quick timely passes. However this really only happened in the early 2nd half.

I couldn’t believe the first goal, sure should have been a foul on Dzeko/ he should have done better with 3 options around him, but you played with Salah for 2 or 3 years you don’t think he likes to take the ball onto his left. 5 count them 5 defenders ball watching. The 2nd goal was just poor play by the defenders not dealing with a clearance and a 2 v 4 situation.

At least 5-2 gives you a snow balls chance. If Perotti could have steered in a 3rd, you may have even been on for a 4th. Perrotti needs to start, he’s your best attacker aside from Dzeko.

22. KingKennyLFC

KingKennyLFC Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Apr 13, 2018
    Our mistake was replacing Sallah with Ings. he is not a real goal threat. if he wanted to rest Sallah we should have brought on another defensive player to absorb the pressure. If it was me Sallah would have stayed on and Roma would have been terrified of attacking. If you high press us we will use a longer ball and expose you. Were kings of the high press and we know how to counter it. Remember the 4.1 against Barca flatter'd them but 5.2 last night flattered Roma. You may pull it back, you may not but we will give you a far better game at your place than Barca, that's for sure

23. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i expect nothing but I can't bring myself to just write off the game yet... Maybe i'm a bad Roma fan lol

KingKennyLFC repped this.
  24. KingKennyLFC

KingKennyLFC Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Apr 13, 2018
    I honestly think the injury to OX played to our advantage, he is great at bursting runs but that was not what we needed in the midfield. Bringing on Gini who is a technically better player in terms of beating a man stealing 5-10 yards in order to make the right pass worked perfectly. I think he had seen from the sidelines and knew the right pass was down the right hand side but 10 yards further up the pitch. Taking Sallah off IMO was a mistake. if he stays on the pitch Roma was too scared to attack because we had figured out how to play against them. Instead he brought on Ings which killed our goal threat. If Sallah need to come off we should have just switched Mane to his preferred right hand where side were Sallah was and Brought Klavan on as a left back sending Andy Robertson further forward for his bursting runs and excellent crosses. Roma are a great team and may pull it back at home but i honestly think we have this figured out and it is just our time now. YNWA

25. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We put 3 goals past Chelsea and Barca with keeping a clean sheet. So there is some hope. We just need to go with a 4-3-3 next time, and Perotti must start.

chaponga and Rosay repped this.