CL Round of 16 (1st Leg): Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma (February 21st, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We can do this, can we not?

2. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    964993656213012480 is not a valid tweet id

Shen-O, whill4, chaponga and 2 others repped this.
  3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This match is so important for Roma, there are potentially ten's of millions on the line. Juve are in a difficult spot and if they don't advance the remaining market pool money is Roma's (should we advance).

That said, the way we have been playing I'm very nervous because the player that is carrying this team is a 20 year old with virtually no experience.

4. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Gonna be Ninja's match, I can see Defrel starting instead of Under in this one.

5. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma is gonna bring us a Win on Wednesday for my birthday. I feel it.

Shen-O and Midfield General repped this.
  6. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Interesting, I could see Defrel playing the first 60-65 minutes and then Under coming on as a sub (hopefully not needed though)

7. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shiboboo and Marco9 repped this.
  8. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it is unthinkable to drop Under at the moment.

Meanwhile, we have been badly burned so many times in Europe over the last decade or so that I am nervous about this tie.

Oban14, wm72, shiboboo and 2 others repped this.
  9. Totti=GOAT

Totti=GOAT Member+

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Better not be a repeat of 2011

10. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Haha yeah. I'd be starting his ass too. Now isn't the time to tinker.

11. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    That's actually a solid question.

I don't know.

I think it will be like most games for us. If we finish even moderately decently, we should be fine. If we need 20 shots before we get one on target , it'll be tough.

Someone ....anyone .... needs to help provide secondary scoring. We can't depend on a 20 year old.

If Under bails us out in this round , he's entering God status.

Java65 repped this.
  12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends. Roma have a tough game against ACM on Sunday so what's more important getting to the next round of the CL or finishing top 4 in the league.

I'm not sure the answer but I think the lineup we use tomorrow will tell us a lot.

13. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
  14. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the players are going to be up for this. The CL can re-spark our season just like it did in the Fall. Shakhtar is coming off a winter break, which always has put Ukrainian teams at a disadvantage. I expect a convincing 2-0 win.

15. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Except when, you know, they knocked us out last time...

This match is a huge question mark for me. I've been trying to get a feel as to what might happen , and I just can't find anything. I've got no hunch to rely on.

Manolas is going to have to be absolutely exceptional tomorrow if Bruno is beside him. And for the love of god, don't pass it to him in our own half. Manolas has a tendency to put his teammates in precarious positions with his passes in general. If he does that with Bruno in any area of the pitch where we can't afford to lose the ball we'll be fcuked.

Do not pass it to Bruno in our own half if he has anyone near him, Manolas , just boot it up the field if need be. You suck at passing and he sucks at everything.

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  16. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    CL football in general is unpredictable. Then when you add Roma to the equation it becomes impossible to know what to expect. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic. Just hopeful.

17. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Smart man. And to be honest, I'm the same minus Bruno. He legitimately terrifies me.

If we lose, we lose , but if it's because of Bruno doing something incredibly stupid , I'm going to be upset.

18. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think Bruno has become even worse this season. Maybe because he isn't getting much confidence from EDF, but I can't fault the latter for that. I'll be legitimately terrified if we are forced to start him tomorrow. Shoo, Flo stomach bug, shoo!

19. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Florenzi was poor against Udinese. His form is not good. Peres has something to prove right now. You never know, maybe we'll get a good performance from him. As I said in the Udinese thread, RB is where my concern is at. Florenzi's form is not good and Peres' last appearance was a month ago.

20. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Peres is a walking disaster. I mean, he literally walks back every time we're being attacked after he has gone far too forward.

21. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If? He can't help himself, he lives for handing the ball over to the other team. This is terrifying, I would be over the moon if we get out of there with a draw.

22. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The bookies here in Oz have them as favourites. I guess that is down to home ground advantage and Italian teams general hopelessness in Europe.

I personally think we will struggle to win the tie.

23. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Alright , I've done my meditation, and I feel like we can do this now.

I believe in this team. Lets muck it up tomorrow and be physical.

Dzeko with the winner.

24. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The stick Peres gets is OTT. He's not that bad. People really seem to have it in for him to the point that, every little error he makes, however small, is made out to be 10 times worse than it actually is. It's not objective and it's disproportionate. My concern with him starting tomorrow is not because I think he's bad but because the last time he played was coming on as a sub against Inter a month a go. He has very little football under his belt in recent times.

La Magica repped this.
  25. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    He's legit terrible , and even worse lacks effort at times.

But, that doesn't mean he can't play well tomorrow. We just need one game out of him. Just one.

PureEvil and shiboboo repped this.