CL Round of 16 (1st Leg): Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma (February 21st, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Feb 19, 2018.

1. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This tie is lost, we should rest players for the Serie A games because they are more important.

We reached the last 16 of CL which was our objective and lost to a stronger team in Shaktar, I don't see any problem with accepting that.

2. HeadBurn3r

HeadBurn3r Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Novi Pazar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    They simply outran as in the second half. Fazio, Kolarov, De Rosi, Strotman and Dzeko cannot run. He has to drop Strootman and Dzeko in games like this. Dzeko is not even offering that physical presenece, he is being outmuscled by everyone and on top of that he is losing lots of balls. Why is he keeping him? Because he is a "champion"? We should have sold him this winter.

Pellegerini cannot do worse than Strot at this point.

Under is playing defence, he is tracking back but he doesn't seem to try hard enough to take the ball, he just tends to "be there". No point complaining when he is playing like this. Under's on fire, your defence is terrified!

3. HeadBurn3r

HeadBurn3r Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Novi Pazar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Spoken like a through and through Roma fan. Players, together with the clown manager, probably think the same.

forza venti repped this.
  4. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah it is. Based on the quality of the squad and that Shakhtar away is really a tough game I'd even say that we are still slight favourites. But I've been a romanista long enough to know how these 50:50 games usually work out for us.

I don't get the Strootman bashing after this game. He was one of the best in the first half and not worse than all the others in the second half.
    Will you post this a 3rd time until somebody finally responds?

5. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I got so frustrated with the 2nd half, It's unexplainable the way the whole team dropped and you guys are looking for individual scapegoats!

The same happend to Juve in the 2nd half vs Spurs and they were overrun. Atleast Juve can counter attack properly and there is more chance than not they will score 1-2 goals even if they lose control over a game. Roma on the other side has forgotten how to counter attack and our midfield has become very passive even when we win the ball back in a good position to kickstart a fast attacking play.

Shen-O and wm72 repped this.
  6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Andreas repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only Under gets a decent rating.....

Le pagelle di Shakhtar-Roma 2-1: si salva Ünder, Florenzi sempre in difficoltà ...

8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Here, have a biscuit. Now be quiet.

9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Andreas repped this.
  10. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Give Allison the #10, the armband, 5 mil a season and a personal line to the pope.

I shudder to imagine this team without him saving us on countless occasions this year.

Andreas, Shen-O and Salmeen10 repped this.
  11. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EDF might get some blame for not making substitutions earlier, but I do not think he should get any blame for tactics or gameplan. The two Shaktar goals were the result of comical errors. The first goal was a route-one pass from a centerback that Florenzi whiffed on and then Manolas couldn't get a foot in. The second goal saw Ninja not attack the ball to win possession, which caused Strootman to put in a challenge that resulted in the free kick. This is basic stuff.

Shen-O and ErPupone repped this.
  12. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To think some of you, were treating us as world beaters after we defeated the formidable Udinese.

To be honest, I have no idea why so many of you are disheartened. Reaching the last 16 is quite extraordinary; considering the poor quality of this team. I will even go as far as praising Zeman-lover and our PSG-lover for this year's campaign. As far as this match goes. We are lost and out.

Seriously there are more positives then negatives this year in the CL for us.

13. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK, we will re-visit the discussion after the second leg.

14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alisson, DI-OS. Only reason we didn't lose by another 2-3 goals at least. Make him captain, give him 5m net, he's the rock the team needs to be built upon.

And except for Dzeko's good assist to Under, just garbage out there. PLEASE drop him. Seriously, anyone who can run should be up top. Diego false 9 flanked by Gerson and Under.

15. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Are you guys the same person? :confused:

Shen-O and Marco9 repped this.
  16. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Great minds think alike

Shen-O repped this.
  17. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He knows too much

whill4, Marco9 and shiboboo repped this.
  18. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Does anyone know if Dzeko has been subbed off at all this season? I’m pretty sure any game he’s started, he’s played 90 minutes... 90 minutes of just standing around in most games.

Things like that confuse me about Di Fra