CL: Roma - Chelsea (October 31st, 2017) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Did you make that list?

Andreas, whill4, Marco9 and 2 others repped this.
  2. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    In head-to-head matches, Serie A sides have a winning record in the CL vs EPL teams over the last 10 years.

On paper, Juve, Napoli, Roma, Inter, and Lazio are just as good this year as City, United, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Liverpool.

3. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So I was unable to watch the game today, and I just watched the highlights. Did anyone notice the peculiar thing Perotti did to SES during the celebration of the 2nd goal?

Right around the 4:20 mark :

yeah...... odd, shall we say?

4. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
  5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to dvr as many games as I can and go back and watch them a second time. When I watch live I'm usually to caught up in the game to really notice the nuances but the second time I have a much more neutral observation. I watched this again last night and DDR had a helluva game. One of the most complete performances I've seen. Dzeko also was much better than I realized during the game.

On the other side, man, Fabregas is just awful.

Hustle and Flo, Andreas, Marco9 and 2 others repped this.
  6. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    On a second go through what did you make of Strootman? (I feel as if he's been quite clumsy/sloppy lately in his passing but with useful running.)

7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Judging El Sha reaction looks like an inside joke. There have always been rumours about him.

8. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabregas deserves some sort of statistical credit for the Perotti goal. Horrific pass under no pressure that put us on the break.

Rüdiger was far from good, but he did save a goal by playing a 3v2 really well after David Luiz screwed up.

Java65 repped this.
  9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think he was great last night. I love Strootman but I think he's out of place in that MF. I think his best position now is probably DM but with DDR and Gonalons he can't play there. He was a different player before his injuries and I'm not sure if his problem is physical or mental but he's not the same player.

Andreas, shiboboo and LimeTree repped this.
  10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fabregas looks done. Either moves to a smaller team trying to improve or he takes the easy route for cash. No big side will want him.

11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that back line they had last night many times it was Cahill vs Roma. The poor bastard was working alone.

12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with Fabregas moving to a small club is that generally they don't have a lot of possession and in that case Fabregas is even worse.

How old is he? I don't think he's that old that he should be done is he? My impression is that Fabregas was never one to work too hard, just survived on great talent (but I could be wrong)

shiboboo and wm72 repped this.
  13. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was nice to be on this end of one of Rudiger's random gifts.

whill4 and Java65 repped this.
  14. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andreas, shiboboo, Oban14 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    You would be surprised, but there is a contingent of Roma fans on twitter that shits on DDR 24/7, and I couldn't wrap my head around the bashing when I checked at halftime, he literally didn't take a step wrong.

There has to be a medical term for such bias.

wm72, GiallorossiYank and Java65 repped this.
  16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the shutout yesterday Roma have 4 goals against in the CL, with 3 coming in that crazy game in Chelsea. They have allowed 5 goals in league play, 3 in the Inter match, this team is as stout defensively as any in Europe.

Now we are just starting to see the hints of the the offense and MF gelling under EDF this team has the chance to be very special.

17. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I haven't felt this good the day after a match in a very very long time.

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say this without exaggeration but yesterday has to be one of the best games DDR had in a Roma shirt. As you said, not a step wrong it was really amazing how well he played. He was perfect defensively and his passing was near perfect. I would recommend anybody that was critical of him to go back and watch that game and focus on DDR... he put on a clinic.

I do think DDRs time as a DM is very limited though because the one part of that role he is missing is being able to make late runs. He simply doesn't have the legs anymore. If EDF can work Gonalons or Strootman into that role and save DDR for the more important matches I think DDR can give us another year or so.

wm72 and Salmeen10 repped this.
  19. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    All of them bois

Andreas, Midfield General and Java65 repped this.
  20. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take Fabregas, dude's not done yet

21. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    925466781979947008 is not a valid tweet id

22. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    DDR, like others, grew into the game. It was a solid performance no question, but hardly one of his best ever. Lets call a spade a spade here, he hasnt been great lately. Napoli error ultimately cost us the game. Something I've noticed with him in recent matches is a hesitancy on the ball and it was the same last night early doors. His passing last few games has been off also. But as I say, after a slightly unsteady start, he went on to play a good game. This isnt DDR bashing on my part, merely observations.

DDR is obviously past his best but that doesnt mean he isnt still a darn good player when in form.

24. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I still think Fabregas is quality. Part of the problem was Conte's arrogance in playing him in a midfield two versus Nainggolan, De Rossi, and Strootman. That was an amateur decision.

I see him going to Milan or Inter next summer. The pace would suit him a lot better.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  25. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Also forgot to mention, he was very fortunate not to get a second yellow vs Bologna.